Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk bans Irish Times Journalists

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

I don't buy any suggestions that Hook being taken off the air is the same "denial of free speech" as what NT are now doing to IT journalists/contributors.

FOT, Mullally, etc were prominent voices in the move to get Hook removed from his position in a private, commercial radio station that they have no input or stake in. NT didn't do the same to IT - they didn't run a campaign to demand that FOT never writes for the IT again, they just said they're not going to involve the IT writers/contributors in NT, but they can still do what they want with their primary employer. FOT wasn't that gracious/generous.

Also, remember that DOB owns 29.9% of Independent News. Perhaps, as owner of Communicorp, he'd realised that Communicorp should stop giving a profile to the main competition for the Indo. Maybe this storm in a teacup gave him the opportunity to cut the IT from Communicorp, to the benefit of the Indo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

This follows a demand by Communicorp that The Irish Times issue an apology for an opinion column by Fintan O’Toole on 12 September relating to the controversy over George Hook and Newstalk,†the editor said.

"There are no grounds for such an apology or for the retraction of the column which was sought also. Fintan was entitled to express his opinion and The Irish Times was entitled to publish it."
    The sense of self entitlement spews from both these shots fired.
    As a journalist you have one primary function: to inform the people. Whatever about slander and politics to sell rags or fill the airways with binjuice.. that is creative art not journalistic information. So let these two have it out in the media ring and entertain the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The IT printed articles that were calling for NT to be boycotted and for Hook to be removed. People set up petitions to have him taken off the air, they called the shows sponsors to get them to stop. Many journalists and celebs saw what was happening and then decided to jump on the bandwagon to voice their opinion and the IT gave most of them that platform.
    Now NT is basically saying that if you have such a problem with the station and want to boycott us we will then oblige you by not having any of your people on our station. You badmouth someone don't expect them to be nice and have you back.
    Dil, I have never listened to her and don't give a hoot what her sexuality is. I remember something about having a baby and all the fem lapped it up and were falling over themselves to be seen congratulating her. She seems a bit of a drama queen and bloody hell if you openly criticize your employer expect them to do something about it. She decided to not broadcast her show in protest to George Hook. She posts a public statement on Twitter saying she is deeply unsatisfied with management, unsupportive and unwelcoming of female presenters and is then shocked at them cancelling her show.
    As Hook said "But there is a point of responsibility. The real issues nowadays and increasingly is the question of the personal responsibility that young girls are taking for their own safety." or in her case what she says on pubic platforms ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The problem is that News Talk needs to keep the semblance of being a serious news/ pro business Chanel banning all Irish times journalist seriously hampers this and they need to bring in a younger audience.

It very hard to fill the air waves with professional contrarians and the like, its a tricky one to carry off.

No serious business will advertise with a station that is in serious danger of becoming a laughing stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Probably a bit unfair on the IT sports contributors but surely the IT craw thumpers shouldn't be bothered one bit about being banned from NT seeing as they had the knives out anyway.
    Let's face it but Dil's show was horrendous stuff. If losing a few hours per week is a catastrophe for her "career" , she might need to rethink her career.
    Some other station will surely take her on anyway.
    What would her wage be for that show on NT that another station couldn't afford?
    As someone else said, she could start a podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mariaalice wrote: »
    The problem is that News Talk needs to keep the semblance of being a serious news/ pro business Chanel banning all Irish times journalist seriously hampers this and they need to bring in a younger audience.

It very hard to fill the air waves with professional contrarians and the like, its a tricky one to carry off.

No serious business will advertise with a station that is in serious danger of becoming a laughing stock.

traditional media is dying on its hole in most other parts of the western world, people have seen through the cabaret act that passes for its news coverage.

Obviously Ireland will try to cling onto it given the paymasters that RTE and INM have but dropping the IT will be no loss for NT, the IT is a zombie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DOB has gone full Fox News.

Be interesting to see what happens on the other side of Dinny's fence in Today FM, where they tend to put the people with intelligence & integrity.

Matt Cooper specifically was absent from his show last night, covered by what seems to have been a hasty fill-in by Susan Keogh, who's normally a newsreader. She did a good job to be fair.

Cooper definitely wouldn't be shy about calling this ban bullsh1t and refusing to go on-air. Will we see him quit in the next 48 hours?

Communicorp could lose all its best presenters and be stuck with idiots like Hook and Yates who'll toe the Fox News sorry, Denis O'Brien line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

seamus wrote: »

Be interesting to see what happens on the other side of Dinny's fence in Today FM, where they tend to put the people with intelligence & integrity.

You're being very vague on what you think of NT and Today FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

seamus wrote: »

Matt Cooper specifically was absent from his show last night, covered by what seems to have been a hasty fill-in by Susan Keogh, who's normally a newsreader. She did a good job to be fair.

Cooper definitely wouldn't be shy about calling this ban bullsh1t and refusing to go on-air. Will we see him quit in the next 48 hours?

Communicorp could lose all its best presenters and be stuck with idiots like Hook and Yates who'll toe the Fox News sorry, Denis O'Brien line.

Complete spurious conspiracy theory laden speculation, hilarious too

Bambi wrote: »
    traditional media is dying on its hole in most other parts of the western world, people have seen through the cabaret act that passes for its news coverage.

Obviously Ireland will try to cling onto it given the paymasters that RTE and INM have but dropping the IT will be no loss for NT, the IT is a zombie.

News Talk is verging on going down the controversial route as a way of trying to buck the trends of whats is happening to traditional media: radio is traditional media how many young people listen to News Talk? The pity is that they have some great contributors this guy is brilliant
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_A._J._O%27Neill

There was a very illuminating piece on C4 or the BBC not sure which anyway they showed a radio to some teenager the vast majority hadn't a clue what it was.

• Advertisement

There was a very illumination piece on C4 or the BBC not sure which anyway they showed a radio to some teenager the vast majority hadn't a clue what it was.

I find it hard to believe none of them have every been in a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

pilly wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/newstalk-irish-times-3631283-Oct2017/

Wonder will all the free speech proponents object to this?

"Free speech" only protects you from the government, and even then the courts regularly stop people from talking about things and punish them severely if they do.

VinLieger wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe none of them have every been in a car

You are not getting it, they are not listing to radio in the way an older audience would.

Complete spurious conspiracy theory laden speculation, hilarious too
    Oh absolutely, I'm not at all pretending otherwise!

You are not getting it, they are not listing to radio in the way an older audience would.

So your talking a physical radio someone would have in a kitchen? Cus the way i thought you meant was they didn't even know what the concept of radio is and had never seen any radio in their lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

pjproby wrote: »
    It shows that the problem at NewsTalk goes deeper than just George Hook. It is a systemic attitude. I for one intend boycotting NewsTalk until they reverse this nonsense.

Could'nt believe this until I checked the links.....I ceased & desisted listening to Newstalk,after bravely battlng through TWO full editions of Global Village.and a few accidental occasional tune-in's ....I have now decided to suspend My Boycott and retune My wireless in the hope that NT will leave this stuff for a more focused broadcaster to adopt...let them at it....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Im gonna go out on a limb and say demanding another employee be fired or else you wont do your own job is probably not specifically listed in most peoples contracts but definitely not something you can just expect to get away with scott free either.

Unless George had specifically done something against her that violates some kind of workplace agreement then shes definitely in the wrong from a legal standpoint.

I don't think she gave them a him or me ultimatum. She criticised his comments and felt appropriate disciplinary action should be taken. It happens every day in workplaces up and down the country. The company can take the approach to discipline one or other or indeed both, but it is a matter between the employer and employees.

Furthermore, I don't think she was fired. If a worker is fired for expressing an opinion about a colleague it could well end up in the WRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I don't think she gave them a him or me ultimatum. She criticised his comments and felt appropriate disciplinary action should be taken. It happens every day in workplaces up and down the country. The company can take the approach to discipline one or other or indeed both, but it is a matter between the employer and employees.

Furthermore, I don't think she was fired. If a worker is fired for expressing an opinion about a colleague it could well end up in the WRC.

I can't remember the last time a co-worker of mine fired up twitter to complain about how my company disciplines employees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

seachto7 wrote: »
    Probably a bit unfair on the IT sports contributors but surely the IT craw thumpers shouldn't be bothered one bit about being banned from NT seeing as they had the knives out anyway.
    Let's face it but Dil's show was horrendous stuff. If losing a few hours per week is a catastrophe for her "career" , she might need to rethink her career.
    Some other station will surely take her on anyway.

What would her wage be for that show on NT that another station couldn't afford?
    As someone else said, she could start a podcast.

Never mind "facing it"....listening to it was indeed a stupifying experiences,and I would imagine that NT will have a job finding anything less enticing to occupy Dil's slot.
    As for Dil's future prospects,one could see her coming in under FOT's wing perhaps ?...standing in (In True RTE style) for him when he's away on retreats n stuff ?
    Perhaps reading her would be a better option than listening to her ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Presenters are typically hired as independent contractors, which means that the station can move or remove programming at will without having to go through the usual rigamarole of employment law.

It suits presenters too because it means they're under no exclusivity clauses and don't need permission from a station before undertaking other work, such as writing columns, hosting TV shows or doing charity gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

https://twitter.com/DilW/status/908405088787496961

She took a swipe at management and alleged bias and discrimination against female presenters. There's obviously going to be consequences for alleging that publicly.

Then she says that she's "unable to share the airwaves...." - unless she's changed her mind and is now prepared to share the weekend airwaves with Hook from December (which she hasn't come out and confirmed, so we can assume her stated position as above remains), that's very much a "Him or Me" ultimatum. That's a bit of a no-brainer as a commercial decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Actually thinking of IT, excluding one who covers Dail, most of their main female journos and commentators are writing about cosmetics, house hunting, food and wimin stuff. If you look at the pictures of their main commentators on economy, politics and law they are very much white middle class men. While picking the right mascara is important it might be a bit less important than Brexit. Their ethnic diversity credentials are boosted by and odd protestant writer from NI. :D

I like to listen to Newstalk and I like to read Irish Times, in fact I am a subscriber but it's a bit hypocritical to criticize Newstalk for exactly the same stuff Irish Times is suffering from.

It will be fascinating to see if stringing up Georgy Porgy actually back fires. The normal way wrongspeak has been shut down is for the dogpile to just scream racism/mysogyny/outrage. If that isn't enough then they go after the employers/sponsors because none of them want the adverse publicity of those headlines regardless of the substance of the charge

The thing is that joe public is getting a bit tired of this constant crying wolf and the companies/advertisers are starting to realise that being denounced by the shriller elements of society is not the PR asbestos it used to be. Righteous outrage to enforce an agenda is losing its power...oops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Could'nt believe this until I checked the links.....I ceased & desisted listening to Newstalk,after bravely battlng through TWO full editions of Global Village.and a few accidental occasional tune-in's ....I have now decided to suspend My Boycott and retune My wireless in the hope that NT will leave this stuff for a more focused broadcaster to adopt...let them at it....;)

So you boycotted NT over a show that's on 2 hours a week? Really?

Funny how many are blaming NT for dils demise, all forgetting her tweets. Many of the perpetualy outraged are saying they are never listening to the station (again)

• Advertisement

It will be fascinating to see if stringing up Georgy Porgy actually back fires. The normal way wrongspeak has been shut down is for the dogpile to just scream racism/mysogyny/outrage. If that isn't enough then they go after the employers/sponsors because none of them want the adverse publicity of those headlines regardless of the substance of the charge

The thing is that joe public is getting a bit tired of this constant crying wolf and the companies/advertisers are starting to realise that being denounced by the shriller elements of society is not the PR asbestos it used to be. Righteous outrage to enforce an agenda is losing its power...oops.

It does not work like that it is much more subtle that that it very hard to get right very thin line and its in to Katie Hopkins territory and that will kill the advertising revenue and Today will be there to pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

They should rename Newstalk to Menstalk and be done with it.
    The odd token woman to keep the PC liberals happy, but mostly grumpy old men or wannabe grumpy old men.

The odd token woman to keep the PC liberals happy, but mostly grumpy old men or wannabe grumpy old men.

As are the listeners.

I know right....... never mind that 10 out of 11 of the stations producers are women as well as the station director.........

Dr Ciara Kelly can be interesting, actuley News Talk is aping the Sunday independent if anything, its not working for the independent either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

wowy wrote: »

Then she says that she's "unable to share the airwaves...." - unless she's changed her mind and is now prepared to share the weekend airwaves with Hook from December (which she hasn't come out and confirmed, so we can assume her stated position as above remains), that's very much a "Him or Me" ultimatum. That's a bit of a no-brainer as a commercial decision.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sean Moncreiff and the OTB lads are not like that at all, they're the complete opposite.

Even Bobby Kerr who is technically an old man does a show that I've always found fun and energetic.

Then there's Tom Dunne who just wants to talk about and play music.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Sean Moncreiff and the OTB lads are not like that at all, they're the complete opposite.

Even Bobby Kerr who is technically an old man does a show that I've always found fun and energetic.

Not to mention Pat Kenny who older and maybe slightly conservative wouldnt exactly be on the Hook or Ivan spectrum either.

But sure nevermind lets tar them all with the same brush and be done with it.

Not to mention Pat Kenny who older and maybe slightly conservative wouldnt exactly be on the Hook or Ivan spectrum either.

But sure nevermind lets tar them all with the same brush and be done with it.

Pat Kenny? Seriously? Yeah, such a modern man.

And they are not allowed have a station that they prefer to listen to? Not everyone wants to listen to women, not everyone wants to listen to liberal views and if there are liberal views not everyone wants it shoved down their throats ever day. If you don't like the station or its presenters don't listen. I don't like religious radio stations you don't see me calling for a boycott or giving out about the presenters, that's cause I don't turn them on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

spookwoman wrote: »
    And they are not allowed have a station that they prefer to listen to? Not everyone wants to listen to women, not everyone wants to listen to liberal views and if there are liberal views not everyone wants it shoved down their throats ever day. If you don't like the station or its presenters don't listen. I don't like religious radio stations you don't see me calling for a boycott or giving out about the presenters that's cause I don't turn the on

How dare they facilitate the 'oul supply and demand..

I dont listen to him on a daily basis but from what i know of him id hardly describe him as a right wing conservative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

What's a modern man to you? It's not by any chance someone who agrees with your politics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

spookwoman wrote: »
    Funny how many are blaming NT for dils demise, all forgetting her tweets. Many of the perpetualy outraged are saying they are never listening to the station (again)

I doubt many of them listened anyways as there's only so many hours in the day to find trivial matters to be offended about.

Venom wrote: »
    I doubt many of them listened anyways as there's only so many hours in the day to find trivial matters to be offended about.

And yet Dil always found a way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I dont listen to him on a daily basis but from what i know of him id hardly describe him as a right wing conservative.

I do listen to him and you're right he isn't.

I'm not 100% sure what his personal opinions are on most things as he lets other people do the talking and challenges them in a way a good journalist should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I know right....... never mind that 10 out of 11 of the stations producers are women as well as the station director.........

How dare you use facts and logic in a civil and sensible debate!

These people are outraged!

Outraged!!!!!!

It does not work like that it is much more subtle that that it very hard to get right very thin line and its in to Katie Hopkins territory and that will kill the advertising revenue and Today will be there to pick it up.

it's exactly how it works, anyone who transgresses against the party line on certain topics will be dog piled by the outrage mob. The thing is the public know that what the guy said was not particularly egregious, or even near hopkins territory and they start to get sick of the constant witch hunting.

Keep crying wolf and see what happens to your credibility, hell people might even start to think that wolves aren't so bad if you have a problem with them

it's exactly how it works, anyone who transgresses against the party line on certain topics will be dog piled by the outrage mob. The thing is the public know that what the guy said was not particularly egregious, or even near hopkins territory and they start to get sick of the constant witch hunting.

Keep crying wolf and see what happens to your credibility, hell people might even start to think that wolves aren't so bad if you have a problem with them

Its not about conservative v liberal at all the vast majority of the presenters on News Talk would be middling liberal, but there is a kind of knowing cynicism in how the programs are peppered with contributers with well know 'edgy' views that's how they are aping The Sunday independent.

They use a lot of code words as well 'squeezed middle' being one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That and the vehemently aggressive anti-union stance no matter what that issue or topic at hand is. There's an agenda at Communicorp which trickles down from the very top.

Its not about conservative v liberal at all the vast majority of the presenters on News Talk would be middling liberal, but there is a kind of knowing cynicism in how the programs are peppered with contributes with well know 'edgy' views that's how they are aping The Sunday independent.

Do you read posts before replying?

CatFromHue wrote: »

OTB?

A bunch of twats who'll invite any gob****e with an axe to grind on to talk scutter so long as its the same axe as theirs.

Is that the opposite of grumpy old men? :confused:

What's a modern man to you? It's not by any chance someone who agrees with your politics?

I love the way people on boards assume my politics.

I don't have any politics, couldn't care less, all parties are just as bad as each other.

What I mean by Pat Kenny not being the modern man is he doesn't relate to young people at all. He's privileged, snobbish and as stiff as a poker. The only thing anyone under 30 know about Kenny is that he's the epitomy of an Irish schoolteacher.

He also has no interest in people. Someone said he remains impartial most of the time which I agree he kind of does but it's more through a lack of passion than anything else.

He's not passionate about anything.

Do you read posts before replying?

Yes why, the point...its not a conservative v liberals issue at all its more about the cynical manipulation.

• Advertisement

He's not passionate about anything.

How do you know he's not a very passionate lover

Advertisement