Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk bans Irish Times Journalists

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

VinLieger wrote: »
    TBF anyone who likes to surmise my opinion and make disgusting accusations better provide a bit of evidence, none of which anyone has.

And its your assumption they are doing so for sexist reason with equally as much as evidence.

To answer your patronising pathetic accusations I don't believe men make better presenters than women, im sure there's plenty of excellent female presenters, Collette Fitzpatrick was fantastic unfortunately she got a better offer.

I also think male presenters can be garbage, for instance paul williams is useless on the radio and coupled with shane coleman they are absolutely useless in the morning slot. Ivan and Chris were great not because they were both men but cus they had chemistry.

As someone said it earlier equality should mean equality of opportunity not equality of outcome. Your assumptions that NT is sexist because they dont have as many presenters is based on nothing but the fact that you immediately jumped to assuming its due to sexism indicates you have an agenda and bias against them.

So how about you and your ilk retract any aspersions you've made about me or my opinions?

I hear you're a sexist now, Father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Augme wrote: »
    So why do female presenters on RTE radio perform far better in terms of listenership compared to Newstalks shows?

The same reason male presenters in rte perform better than male presenters in newstalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

VinLieger wrote: »
    The same reason male presenters in rte perform better than male presenters in newstalk?

Not really. If people prefer male voices, as you claimed, then why aren't people turning off Radio 1 in their droves when a female presenter is on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not really. If people prefer male voices, as you claimed, then why aren't people turning off Radio 1 in their droves when a female presenter is on?

No idea, i neither work for any radio station or a data analytics firm associated with media. Im going off discussions ive heard on radio and articles ive read over the years.

Its quite simple anyone who automatically assume Newstalk is sexist due to a lack of female presenters is guilty of confirmation bias cus theres absolutely no real evidence to substantiate the claim the the entire station is sexist. They are starting with an assumption and looking for evidence to support it which is completely backwards.

In terms of Free Speech, unfortunately it;s totally legal. Free speech encomasses that the government cannot imprison or detain you for anything you've said.

This does not apply to private enterprises.
    An audiovisual broadcaster is not a typical private enterprise; they are all regulated by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, and must meet the requirements of their licences, as well as the various codes of the BAI which, inter alia, demand that the provision of news services must not be contaminated with the broadcaster's own views.

Further, the BAI is itself statutorily required to sustain an independent and impartial media landscape. With the concentration of Irish news media via Communicorp and INM, it is arguable that actions like that taken by Communicorp is an abuse of its ownership of various commercial radio licences; communicorp is arguably using its privileged position to attempt to stifle or damage another media outlet.

I haven't seen Newstalk's licence agreement, but I do think the regulatory authorities might have an interesting opinion on this matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭storker

Donoghue next :D

Yes...oh please let it be so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

All of whom are behind the scenes and well hidden.

You only have to look at Off The Ball. Not a single regular female presenter or contributor. Men only zone.

The morning show - replaced two men with two more men.

Middle Aged men seem to be the "Go To" on that station.

The Station is a Boys Club on air. You'd swear it was based in Saudi Arabia or something.

So what? Middle aged women have The View and Loose Women as the "Go To" Tv channel if they want. Just change station. You'd swear you were living in Saudi Arabia and have no other options or something? :rolleyes:

So what? Middle aged women have The View and Loose Women as the "Go To" Tv channel if they want. Just change station. You'd swear you were living in Saudi Arabia and have no other options or something? :rolleyes:
    This comment is so out-there I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or you genuinely thought that was a thought-provoking, or sensible, comment.

You know that women care about sports and politics as well, right?

And that women's diverse range of opinions deserve to be ventilated when discussing those topics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not sure if you've realised this yet but television and radio are actually two different things. Crazy I know.

• Advertisement

This comment is so out-there I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or you genuinely thought that was a thought-provoking, or sensible, comment.

You know that women care about sports and politics as well, right?

And that women's diverse range of opinions deserve to be ventilated when discussing those topics.

Well then let The View and Loose Women discuss politics and sport. Why don't they do that?

Not sure if you've realised this yet but television and radio are actually two different things. Crazy I know.

Being a CEO and a bin man are both Jobs that can pay the bills but I don't see action for equality there. Crazy I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

JMNolan wrote: »
    What age are you exactly...?
    Was wondering when someone would take the worm, you know you should never ask a lady her age ;)
    Not that old, I just have an eclectic taste in music due to mother and brothers. But I old enough to know you don't bite the hand that feeds you and when you badmouth your bosses in a public forum it will come back to bite you on the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

So why do you think NT have so few female presenters? I understand it's very difficult to give a factually based answer, but if you had to use logic and thought, then why do you think that is the case?

It's not a gender issue it's a JNLR issue. In radio the JNLR listenership figures determine how much a radio station can charge for advertising. Down the years Newstalk has tried various presenters of both sexes in their prime time slots. The four presenters who have consistently achieved the best JNLR figures, by a long way, are Ivan Yates, Pat Kenny, George Hook and Sean Moncrieff.

For a struggling commercial entity, like newstalk, it makes perfect sense to put their most popular presenters on at the times that generate the most advertising revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There are more successful male radio presenters for the same reason that there are more successful male stand up comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Anyone hear Matt Coopers segment on the David Walsh / Tom Humphries issue today? While a lot of his points were valid it was slightly unusual. Normally he has both sides of the argument on to debate it. This was a scripted hatchet job to an extent, though I appreciate not too many are going to come on to defend Walshs point.

I agree with a lot of what Matt said btw, but I thought the timing of such an attack on an Irish Times journalist was interesting, given the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Anyone hear Matt Coopers segment on the David Walsh / Tom Humphries issue today? While a lot of his points were valid it was slightly unusual. Normally he has both sides of the argument on to debate it. This was a scripted hatchet job to an extent, though I appreciate not too many are going to come on to defend Walshs point.

I agree with a lot of what Matt said btw, but I thought the timing of such an attack on an Irish Times journalist was interesting, given the OP

Walsh doesn't work for the Irish Times.

Walsh doesn't work for the Irish Times.

Matt described him as "the lead sports reporter for the Irish Times." Maybe I got it wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Matt described him as "the lead sports reporter for the Irish Times." Maybe I got it wrong

The Times (Ireland) - Murdoch rag. As opposed to the Irish Times.

Never mind me - Ill go back to lurking....

Advertisement