Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark - Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Relikk

The menu at the bottom of the screen while watching has options to change the audio and subtitles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭antfin

chicorytip wrote: »
    I was expecting the actors to be speaking in German with subtitles displayed in English. The Netflix(Ireland) version has them speaking English with badly dubbed American accents making it completely unwatchable for me. Is there some setting in the menu that allows you to alter this? I presume the original script is in German. The movement of the actors lips is completely out of synch with the soundtrack.

If you change the soundtrack to German you can then turn on English subtitles. I immediately decided that I couldn't watch it dubbed, the same as you but with the original soundtrack and subtitles it quickly became one of my favourite shows. I actually think the subtitles gave me the additional focus that I needed to track it all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

chicorytip wrote: »
    I was expecting the actors to be speaking in German with subtitles displayed in English. The Netflix(Ireland) version has them speaking English with badly dubbed American accents making it completely unwatchable for me. Is there some setting in the menu that allows you to alter this? I presume the original script is in German. The movement of the actors lips is completely out of synch with the soundtrack.

It can be altered, yes.

When I started S1 - not knowing what Dark was about or how good it would be - I watched it in dubbed English for a few episodes, then switched to the original German with subtitles. Much much better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 and I've given up trying to even understand how the threads are coming together. Just going to sit back, enjoy the experience and try to backfill my understanding as I go along. Otherwise I'll be pausing every five minute going "wait, which Martha is this, and when in her life?". You get the sense the writers just removed the final narrative training wheels, figuring that the audience had come this far & should simply go with the complexity.

The first look at "slightly older adult" Martha and of course, the casting is superb & borderline eery. *chefs kiss*

Fast-forwarding to 2021's Television Awards and we need a new category: "wettest show". You can really tell the difference when productions tries to recreate proper rainfall - rather than simply pointing a sprinkler into the air to make do. It was obviously a creative decision to have many scenes absolutely pummelled by torrential rain and it looks amazing. Everyone and everything looks to be drenched and miserable - in the best possible way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

pixelburp wrote: »
    Fast-forwarding to 2021's Television Awards and we need a new category: "wettest show". You can really tell the difference when productions tries to recreate proper rainfall - rather than simply pointing a sprinkler into the air to make do. It was obviously a creative decision to have many scenes absolutely pummelled by torrential rain and it looks amazing. Everyone and everything looks to be drenched and miserable - in the best possible way.

Spoiler about final episode
    The rain actually make sense when you realise the circumstances of how the 2 new worlds came to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Greatest tv show scriptwriters ever.

Unbelievably clever writing.

This is a future cult classic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It'll hopefully be one of the few Netflix shows that doesn't get buried under the volume of content the service produces. As said it has the makings for a cult classic, one that keeps popping up in rotations. Especially once the inevitable US remake occurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

wyrn wrote: »
    Claudia was by far my favourite character. I loved her in the 80's being the boss of a nuclear power plant. I'd honestly watch a spin off show of her doing just that.

You can't though. The nuclear power plant
    never existed in the origin world. So Claudia had some other career in her real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,639 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Is season 3 as much of a head **** as the previous 2? Been working a lot lately and feel like I'm not mentally alert enough to watch it right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭pavb2

Is season 3 as much of a head **** as the previous 2? Been working a lot lately and feel like I'm not mentally alert enough to watch it right now!
    Probably more so I could only watch a couple of episodes in one sitting due to brain overload

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Initially yes but then it all starts coming together. The firs ep of S03 absolutely blew me away. You could call it confusing but I was more amazed at where they went with the story and how it unfolds. The official Dark Website has a great character map where you can input the last episode you've watched so it doesn't spoil anything beyond it.

As Pixelburp mentioned above just let it wash over you. It will still all make sense as a whole even if some of the strands dont. I pretty much did this with the first viewing. The second viewing, with my wife, was like watching it again for the first time especially season 2 which I kind of half watched as it didn't grab me as much as S01. I enjoyed both watches equally.

Cracking show altogether. I'd love to see something else from its creators plus I want to learn German now because of it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

pixelburp wrote: »

and they even had different weather for
    Origin world - sunny, Alt1 wet, alt2 foggy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Can somebody link me a site or explain to me whom existed in what worlds and that did and didn't happen in same?I am learning new tit bits I wasn't even aware of.:confused:

I wasn't aware of the third world,silly me but was only aware of the world Tannhaus created to save his loved ones?

Going to have to rewatch the entire three seasons.

I made the cardinal error of not rewatching the seasons preceding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

iguana wrote: »
    You can't though. The nuclear power plant
    never existed in the origin world. So Claudia had some other career in her real life.
    Yeah I know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Have to say... I absolutely loved this show. I so nearly passed it over having watched the first episode on a flight. I'm glad I went back to it a few weeks later.

Visually it is absolutely stunning. So, so beautifully shot.

The actors in the different roles for each character - honestly amazed that some of them (middle age/older Ulrich especially) aren't the same person.

I don't think I've ever had to have such an attention span for a show. You actually couldn't take your eyes off it for fear of losing track of one of the threads of the show.

Had a serious crush on Martha.

I'll definitely re-watch it at some point. I managed to time my watching of it so that I could binge all 3 seasons, and as I was halfway through season 2, season 3 got released. Now I'm at a stage were it pops into my head on a near daily basis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Was it ever really explained
    why Jonas doesn't exist in the alt world?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just finished this - very happy with the ending and how they resolved the complexities. Interesting to see all the various hints that had been laid out to the resolution too.
    Was it ever really explained
    why Jonas doesn't exist in the alt world?
    Was it not because:
    Mikkel didn't go back in time so therefore he couldn't have fathered Jonas?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Absolutely loved Dark. Felt the ending was perfect. So glad they didn't keep making more seasons and ruin a great show like Dexter did.

If anyone is interested, Jonas's yellow coat (that I adored) is being raffled as part of a German charity initiative set up by Volker Bruch who you might remember from Unser Vater, Unser Mutter. Martha's necklace is up there also. Louis Hoffman had it up on his Instagram account yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Depressed now. Knowing that I'll struggle to find anything as beautifully shot, well acted and carefully crafted in the near future to fill the void.

Could have maybe done without the epilogue, but otherwise that last episode was probably one of the best things I've seen in a very long time.

Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ah just finished season 3 there tonight and I can't help but feel a little disappointed by it. I think I understood most of it and don't really have any major grievances with it, but I just felt like it got overly complicated as it went on and it wasn't that enjoyable by the end.

Season 1 was arguably the best thing I have ever watched on Netflix, I loved the setting and the storyline and the complexity of it, I remember just finding it so hard to turn off because I kept wanting to watch the next episode. Fast forward to the last few episodes tonight and I felt my attention sap and felt it was a chore getting through some parts at times. There was just so much "the end is the beginning and the beginning is the end" type talk and characters saying contrasting things to one another that it just felt too hard to know what to believe.

I don't know, worth watching overall but I've gone from thinking it was a 10/10 after season one to thinking it was probably a 7 or 8/10 by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Just finished it ... I definitely fell asleep during an episode in S2 that I’m sure will explain everything when I go back and watch it . Great show , I watched S1 dubbed but changed to German for 2&3 which only improved it further. 3 was very complicated and I needed to read recaps online to keep up with which Martha was which !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

After a couple of weeks to digest it, it really was a clever show, that had me intrigued. The first season was amazing, but season 2 and 3 spent so long trying to explain itself it became a convoluted mess at times.

It took a different slant on the time travel multiverse rules which was fresh and kept a very tense and forbidding atmosphere with out overuse of gore or violence to do so.

The acting was great in the most part especially the two leads.

Ultimately though as I mentioned in a previous post, it was a slog at times and felt like giving up, but challenged myself to keep going. I am glad I finished it and to be honest it is still in my head so that's a good sign. I did not find it enjoyable as such, but it still was captivating enough to find out how it all fit together.

Hmmm...

*considers making "watched Dark with dubbed audio" a bannable offence*

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Season one rewatched...it was like a whole new show to me. My brain really is akin to a goldfish

Off to season two I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Is that an option?

I actually enjoyed the German, and because of the subtitles I knew I had to put my phone away which was great so I wouldn't miss anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is that an option?

I actually enjoyed the German, and because of the subtitles I knew I had to put my phone away which was great so I wouldn't miss anything

Yes , it’s poor though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Yes , it’s poor though

I typically dislike anything dubbed tho... really find it difficult to watch "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Loved season two......so glad I rewatched season 1 at the weekend because I would not have had a canoe what was going on

Two episodes into season three now and I feel like I’m back to square one with not having a notion who what where when !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Finished 1st series tonight. My head is fried trying to keep up with everything.

Looking forward to getting into Series 2 tomorrow night.

Advertisement