Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark - Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭pavb2

I’m watching season 1 again with the wife who’s watching for the first time, as others have said there are so many subtle hints at what has happened and what is to come.

I think first time around there are so many different things happening to so many people at such a fast pace that you can’t help but miss stuff. One thought I had and I know it’s TV but I don’t think it would be possible to write this as a book without diluting it and spoiling the overall effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

If you want more German drama after this, I suggest "Deutschland '83" , set in the cold war and free to watch on the Channel 4 website.

Im delighted to see there will be a 3rd series...

Anna Winger and Jörg Winger, creators and executive producers said: "When the Berlin Wall came down, Germany reinvented itself for the fourth time in the 20th century. Deutschland 89 goes back to the so-called 'end of history'. Our heroes, spies in the national security apparatus of a country that has collapsed overnight, find themselves at a dramatic crossroads, personally and professionally."

Amazon Prime Video will stream the eight new episodes in Germany, Austria, India and Japan on 25 September 2020.

Hopefully it will also be shown on German TV which is Free on the Astra satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

NIMAN wrote: »
    Finished 1st series tonight. My head is fried trying to keep up with everything.

Just wait until you watch the third one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Agreed. I had to start reading the recaps after every episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m struggling to motivate myself to get through season 3. Went back after a few weeks and watched episode three but I’m finding it hard to get back into it.

There’s powerful music at times and I’m thinking “what the f**k is so important about this scene?”. Sometimes I kind of get the ripple or repeat story but I’m kind of not overly invested in the same story being rerun with different characters. Does it get better? Is there a decent payoff at the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m struggling to motivate myself to get through season 3. Went back after a few weeks and watched episode three but I’m finding it hard to get back into it.

There’s powerful music at times and I’m thinking “what the f**k is so important about this scene?”. Sometimes I kind of get the ripple or repeat story but I’m kind of not overly invested in the same story being rerun with different characters. Does it get better? Is there a decent payoff at the end?

I’m exactly the same...Got as far as the third episode and havnt gone back to it. I‘m just finding it very repetitive
    Thought it was just that I rewatched season 1 and then season two in the week....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Relikk

Does it get better? Is there a decent payoff at the end?

The payoff is decent, but decent is the only word I'd use to describe it. It's nothing more than that. I was the same with season three, found it pretty difficult to stick with it in the early episodes. I usually watch a couple of episodes of whatever TV series I'm watching before I go to sleep. If it's interesting, no matter how tired I am, I'd have no problem staying awake, but I found myself nodding off a few times. It wasn't giving me the same level of motivation as season one and two did. It didn't get interesting to me until episode 5, then the interest level dropped again in the following episodes, until the final two episodes.

It's still worth a watch to see how everything wraps up, but I found that season three is nowhere near season one and twos level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

If it hasn't grabbed you by now I'd give up. No matter how good it ends up, you're probably not going to like it.

Is it the confusion or just the shows style? How did you find the previous 2 seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭pavb2

Seasons 1 and 2 were a tangled web but the denouement was logical and kind of made sense. There was almost too much Detail crammed into season 3 And hopping around but at the same time I’m glad they didn’t spin it out With pointless plot lines like for example ‘Lost’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Now at episode 5 or 6 of Series 2.
    Probably going to stick with it to the end.

When the travellers are visiting folk in different times, I fight myself talking at the screen saying "for god sake stop talking in riddles" .

Every character has the chance to spell it out who they are and prove it if they want to, instead they mumble on in incoherent nonsense then vanish.

If you were a time traveller you'd easily be able to prove you were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Just watched the first half of episode 1 , season 1. All I can say is WOW !!

Reminds me of the crime dramas on German TV when I was younger. My missus wants to see it as well so looks like we're restarting the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Finished S3 at the weekend, loved it. Satisfying ending and I think they nailed it. Will have to do a rewatch soon, only this and Mr Robot have left me wanting to watch it all over again after finishing and similarly I think Dark will have a lot that makes more sense the second time around.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Just watched the first half of episode 1 , season 1. All I can say is WOW !!

What you've seen is a drop :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I look forward to the reboot, in 33 years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've just finished Season 2, and have to say that without the help of a print-out of the "family tree" I found on the Internet I'd be a bit lost by now. Certainly in the beginning I was pausing it all the time and checking who was who and who was related to who, especially when people started meeting their parents when they were kids etc. Looking forward to Season 3!

One thing I did though was to turn off that awful dubbed English soundtrack and switch to the original German with English subtitles, much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What an utterly brilliant drama, series 1 and 2. Spent a few weeks utterly captivated by it, I couldn't wait to watch the next episode.

Final series 3 was utterly beyond completely shi*t from start to finish. I've never watched such rubbish in all my life, it was that bad.

Martha, oh that fringe. How annoying and as weak a character you will ever see. Her character was rubbish, her acting was rubbish, she was rubbish, and was the main focus of the last series. So disappointing, as there were such strong female characters all the way through but it concluded with Martha being the final female focal point of attention. Utterly awful.

She reminds me of that Hollywood actress, Jennifer Lawrence, who has no presence at all, visually, vocally, just all round weak in every regard.

The final series was so bad, I wish I never watched it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'm the same. On episode 5 season 3 for last ten days. Just can't finish it I don't know what happened. I was so invested but just found the whole thing like talking in riddles as a previous poster said, a bit jarring. I feel the set up seasons were amazing but this one has fallen flat for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If it hasn't grabbed you by now I'd give up. No matter how good it ends up, you're probably not going to like it.

Is it the confusion or just the shows style? How did you find the previous 2 seasons?

I enjoyed the previous two seasons, it just feels like a rehash and the story is setting itself up to repeat itself endlessly (which the characters who know what’s going on literally said).

What’s probably most damning is I don’t really care anymore what happens. The one thing that keeps bugging me is what happened to that guys eye and arm. The rest seems a bit gibberish. Move the cheaters around, oh Martha lives in Jonas house. It just doesn’t have the same originality I felt was in 1/2. Don’t care much about the 3 guys (I presume the same person) going around killing people.

It’s a shame cause I really like it. Maybe some day I will finish it off.

Big Spoilers:

So if I get what happened in the end correctly: Because of a machine the time-piece man with the rounded spectacles made, he created parallel universes, accidentally, with his experimental apparatus. Series 1/2 was one of those parallel universes, where we thought it was the 'right' one. Series 3 introduced a second parallel universe, and that wasn't the 'right' one either.

In the end when the problem was fixed, by those in the 2 parallel universes, both and any other parallel universe disappeared, to leave and reveal the one true real universe where everyone was getting along happily, with some characters missing, because they never existed in the real timeline in the first place.

So in the 'real' timeline, there was no Jonas, no Claudia Tidderman, and maybe no Mickle either. That's why they evaporated in the last episode when the problem was fixed.

And the ppl in the real timeline lived happily ever after.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Big Spoilers:

So if I get what happened in the end correctly: Because of a machine the time-piece man with the rounded spectacles made, he created parallel universes, accidentally, with his experimental apparatus. Series 1/2 was one of those parallel universes, where we thought it was the 'right' one. Series 3 introduced a second parallel universe, and that wasn't the 'right' one either.

In the end when the problem was fixed, by those in the 2 parallel universes, both and any other parallel universe disappeared, to leave and reveal the one true real universe where everyone was getting along happily, with some characters missing, because they never existed in the real timeline in the first place.

So in the 'real' timeline, there was no Jonas, no Claudia Tidderman, and maybe no Mickle either. That's why they evaporated in the last episode when the problem was fixed.

My head hurts . Why was there no Claudia Tiedemann?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Big Spoilers:

The people seating at the dinner table in the final scene along with H.G. Tannhaus are the only folks left in the original Universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Have to agree with the other posters. I was addicted to the first 2 seasons but I’m struggling with season 3. I don’t even know what is happening anymore. Not liking the new universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Have to agree with the other posters. I was addicted to the first 2 seasons but I’m struggling with season 3. I don’t even know what is happening anymore. Not liking the new universe.

Think I mentioned this before in the thread but will do so again...
    Season 3 felt like a slog for the first few episodes but the pay-off at the end meant that sticking with it was definitely worth it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd agree with Brock's assessment above. S3 is quite a change and I can understand some not liking it (although worst thing ever ?! Really?!).

Part of it is that Martha's role suddenly became a lot bigger and I don't find her particularly interesting. However, the way everything all ties together - as you've said - was very satisfying and felt very much in line with the show's knotty timelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Big Spoilers:

Just so we're all clear, the Triquestra symbol is misleading; there are not 3 concurrently connected worlds. The Origin world ceases to exist when Origin World Tannhaus turns his machine on. The parallel worlds- Jonas' and Eva's - keep looping back to this same point. It's only when clever-clogs Claudia figures out the Origin world's existence (as source of the parallel worlds), and the Origin World Tannhaus' part in this, that prevents the production of the machine, and the subsequent loops (by sending Jonas and Eva to this Origin world a short time before the death of his son, in order to prevent it.) The Origin world then carries on as if the other worlds could have been a dream, or never existed in the first place, or whatever.

Just so we're all clear, t.............

Think you need to include a big spoiler redaction there...

I thought season 3 spent too long getting its ducks in a row and revealing what the characters should do to try to bring it to its conclusion. There was so much confusion added at the start that it felt like starting the whole thing again without much reference to what had gone before. I think if they had cut that shorter and had a earlier reveal with a longer run in to the conclusion it would have had a better overall flow over the 3 seasons

So many characters I was involved in, and then, noting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

My head hurts . Why was there no Claudia Tiedemann?

Claudia was in the origin world. At the dinner party you see that Regina has a picture of her, Claudia and Bernt (sp?) on the wall.

Of the four “main” families the Tiedemans were the only ones that weren’t born due to time travelling shenanigans so they could exist in the origin world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

human 19 wrote: »
    Think you need to include a big spoiler redaction there...
    The quoted section above it says: Big Spoilers

• Advertisement

Hrududu wrote: »
    Claudia was in the origin world. At the dinner party you see that Regina has a picture of her, Claudia and Bernt (sp?) on the wall.

Of the four “main” families the Tiedemans were the only ones that weren’t born due to time travelling shenanigans so they could exist in the origin world.
    Thanks , that makes sense , she should still exist . I wonder why she disappeared though as all the others that disappeared ceased to exist

Advertisement