Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark - Netflix

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wailin wrote: »
    Struggled with the 1st episode....shot well but acting was poor and seems quiet depressing. Should i give up now if i didn't enjoy it or give it more time?

I’m wondering if you are watching the same show as the rest of us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Wailin

faceman wrote: »
    I’m wondering if you are watching the same show as the rest of us. :)

I'm wondering the same thing! How can so many people rave about it when I found episode one rubbish...I'll watch ep 2 and give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This was an excellent show. Loved it from start to finish. Time travel is excellent when done right. Up there with the best Netflix have done

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Struggled with the 1st episode....shot well but acting was poor and seems quiet depressing.

Er, it's about missing children, what exactly were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Wailin

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Er, it's about missing children, what exactly were you expecting?

So you enjoy depressing television? Good for you. Stranger Things has missing children but thats not depressing. Nope, sorry fanboys, I watched ep 2 and still dull and depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I'm wondering the same thing! How can so many people rave about it when I found episode one rubbish...I'll watch ep 2 and give it another go.

Are you watching it dubbed or subtitled, Wailin? I found the dubbed version totally off-putting. It is also the first time I sat through something with subtitles. The lack of emotion in the dubbed recording completely ruins any tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A show with dark theme doesnt have to be depressing. I love dark creepy things, but wasn't a fan of this show. I thought it was quite slow, and they tried too hard to be creepy and scary and I felt it just feel a bit flat in that regard. The whole show just feels a bit cliched and is often poorly acted. And whats with the dramatic music every 30 seconds or so? It makes me think something important is bout to happen but then it doesnt, they just play it during regular conversations. Really weird lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

wakka12 wrote: »
    A show with dark theme doesnt have to be depressing. I love dark creepy things, but wasn't a fan of this show. I thought it was quite slow, and they tried too hard to be creepy and scary and I felt it just feel a bit flat in that regard. The whole show just feels a bit cliched and is often poorly acted. And whats with the dramatic music every 30 seconds or so? It makes me think something important is bout to happen but then it doesnt, they just play it during regular conversations. Really weird lol

OMG

With total respect, you’re way wrong on this one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Its just my opinion , nobody is 'wrong'..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

wakka12 wrote: »
    I can kind of get what you mean here, especially RE the music....my dog bloody hates it especially.

I am reserving judgement as only finished episode 5....I am a tad confused though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

gmisk wrote: »
    I can kind of get what you mean here, especially RE the music....my dog bloody hates it especially.

I am reserving judgement as only finished episode 5....I am a tad confused though....

You'll need watch it twice, highly rewarding on the second viewing as the characters become much clearer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished up yesterday and overall I thought it one of Netflix's best Original Series to date; a genuinely taut thriller, with a frequently cinematic canvas, that straddled the line between mysterious and withholding perfectly. One of those SciFi / Supernatural stories that understood that overly explaining a central riddle ultimately lessens its power (though the ending scene was simply a cheeky tease).

Watched it in its original German with English subtitles, and found the acting superb throughout; the dialogue was quite sparse across the series (bar some monologues that usually bookended episodes) so a lot of the cast had to give a more physical, implied performance rather than relying on confrontations or speeches. Ultimately I think that benefitted the experience, adding a heavy layer of guilty, haunted looks to the population of what amounted to the classic 'small town with secrets' trope. I've seen some people namecheck 'Stranger Things' in comparison and I think it's way wide of the mark; genetically, 'Dark' has more in common with 'Twin Peaks' than its sibling Netflix show, and the 1980s trappings are purely incidental, not an intentional nod to a nostalgic audience.

Something that definitely deserves praise though is the casting, in the sense at how well they matched young actors with old: with most of the characters played by 2-3 different actors, of varying ages, it was pretty amazing how similar the child actors were to their grown-up counterparts. With the constant time-jumping it certainly helped that you often knew instinctively who you were looking at just by their appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just watched the entire series over last night and tonight - absolutely loved it from start to finish. It seems most people hated it, but I loved the final scene - sets things up nicely for Season 2.

The characters were all brilliant too - there wasn't a single character I disliked, even though most of them are unlikable characters, but you know what I mean... Once I realised that it would be important to remember characters names, I didn't struggle to follow who was who at all, and just automatically started putting together family trees in my head - which was probably one of the best things about the show; paying close attention was necessary which added to the experience.

This and 3% (a Brazilian show) have probably been my favourite Netflix Originals so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Can't say enough good things about this show. My head was melted by the end but not in a headwrecking way if that makes sense!

Superb acting, rivetting storyline with a real sense of menace about it. Yes, the creepy music is a bit annoying at the start but you get used to it and after a couple of episodes I barely noticed.

I'm not a big fan of binge watching but I wouldn't leave too long between watching each episode. I left it for two weeks at one stage and I felt like watching from the start again!

And yes, it's nothing like Stranger Things even if it starts off a bit like it. It's very much its own show. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Just finished watching it. I thought the acting was excellent despite what some people are saying on here. Will definitely watch it back before season 2 starts. I had to pause it on some episodes to think about who was who when they jumles back or forward in time.

Noah is an excellent character. Has to be watched in German with English subtitles. Just him introducing himself in German is brilliant. "Ich bin Noah".

• Registered Users Posts: 55,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Finished it....

Just too much going on in it really.....what are we hoping is resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EireGrif

Anyone know when will Season 2 on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

EireGrif wrote: »
    Anyone know when will Season 2 on?

June 2019 most likely according to this tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

June 21st

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looking good, had felt like longer since season 1. Such an underrated show.

Can't wait for this! Easily my favourite Netflix Original Series to date.

Only thing I'd ask is for a recap before the first episode of season 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The first series was really good, and yeah we need a recap or to watch some of it again.

Might try and get a full re-watch of Season 1 in myself before Season 2 drops. It's the type of show you might pick up a lot more on the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Full Trailer (obviously spoilers for season 1):

The tick tocks like the watchmen trailer.. well not exactly like them
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Might try and get a full re-watch of Season 1 in myself before Season 2 drops. It's the type of show you might pick up a lot more on the second time around.

Mos def.
    Excellent head-scratcher, that (until towards the end of series 1) does what is hard to find in TV; like with The Leftovers, keeps you wondering if the whole thing turns on a natural or supernatural event/set of events.

I've just read in another thread that there will be a third and final season.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Rewatching Season 1 to get ready for this. Can't wait. Noticed that Season 2 is dropping on the exact same date (21st June 2019) that the very first scene of Season 1 is set in.

• Advertisement

Big Game wrote: »
    Rewatching Season 1 to get ready for this. Can't wait. Noticed that Season 2 is dropping on the exact same date (21st June 2019) that the very first scene of Season 1 is set in.

All set to rewatch.
    The very last sentence of dialogue in the last episode of season one has to be one of the coolest ever spoken.

Advertisement