Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of the road for the Ballycotton 10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Never got to run it although the stories of battles and races from some of the older Club vets are pretty are part of our club history as they are for a huge number of clubs and people around the country. Great history and sad to see it end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What a shame, it was a brilliant race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Sorry to see it go, got to run it last year and was planning to give it another go sometime. Can imagine very tough call for the organizers given the popularity of the race to have to let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

A big loss to running and racing. One of the few races with a deep enough fields at the quality end of things and shame to loss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Never ran it but Ballycotton is a name most people would have heard of during their lives, runner or not!

Shame they didn't just restrict the numbers right down but I guess they didn't want to deal with any backlash which is understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

I did it for the 1st time in March. I know that there was a huge volunteer effort for the race but the actual race itself I was not too impressed to be honest. Was way too packed. Very slow going for about 5 miles. Course not that interesting. Did not see the attraction. Seems I am part of its final ever race history. Think perhaps it was a fantastic race in its early years and became a victim of its own success. The feedback was somewhat negative after this years race and they made the right decision to call "Time!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

i008787 wrote: »
    I did it for the 1st time in March. I know that there was a huge volunteer effort for the race but the actual race itself I was not too impressed to be honest. Was way too packed. Very slow going for about 5 miles. Course not that interesting. Did not see the attraction. Seems I am part of its final ever race history. Think perhaps it was a fantastic race in its early years and became a victim of its own success. The feedback was somewhat negative after this years race and they made the right decision to call "Time!".

Amazing what six months can do
    i008787 wrote: »
    Just my take on first Ballycotton 10. Arrived in village in plenty of time. As it was breezy jumped into Hotel to keep warm. With 15mins to go decided to line up. Huge mistake leaving so late. Had to join at the back and push up as far as I could which was not too far. Gun went. Took 2mins 50secs to pass start line. Weaved as well as I could past very slow joggers. Reached 1 mile in 12mins 14secs. Decided to go with flow and not worry; to enjoy the event. After 3 miles it eased abit and could run freely. As it was very warm it was a kind of blessing to have started so slow. Some seemed to be suffering at mile 5. Used water to throw the lot on my head. Kept me cool. Mile 9 was a stinky hill. Net time 85 mins. Under 80 was very possible if I had not made blunder at start. Great crowds. Great support. Finish to water and fruit needs adjusting. T shirt nice surprise. Overall a 9 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Amazing what six months can do

I think my comments pretty much are aligned. I wrote that it was crowded, had great support. Agree it should not have been given 9 out of 10 by me based on my original words which accurately reflect what I have written today. It should have been a 5.

Advertisement