Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton 10 is no more...

• 05-10-2017 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2017/10/end-of-road-for-ballycotton-10-and.html

Sad to see this, I don't run these long races but would have loved to do Ballycotton some day. This paragraph stood out to me especially:
    Due to busy lifestyles nowadays, help is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain. Unfortunately, the age profile of the voluntary committee members and those willing to give of their time is a lot higher than it was when we started out. Also, some participants today are more demanding than in the past and it goes without saying that social media now plays a major role in those demands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Oh no :( I've never run it either but it was one of those races everyone talked about, well organised, club race with lots of competition at the pointy end of things.

It's sad to see the reasoning behind it but good that their being honest too, might get a good debate going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Very sad to see and one of the few races in Ireland I had left on my 'bucket list'. Numbers appears to be a big issue from what I have read, Ballycotton is obviously a small village that struggled to cope with the increase in numbers running. I know from reading reports in the past that the start is chaotic. 40 years or so running, huge loss to the Irish race calendar with a who's who of Irish running past winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Having done it the past two years, I'm sad to see it go. The prt blaming of social media on its demise seems a bit odd though - true, there was a bit of social media blowback about 2016's start line problems but I wouldn't have though I t was enough to have a significant impact on closing down the race. Lack of volunteers and committee members is a pity. The reference to "new traffic regulations" is also interesting. Anyone know what these are? There is no doubt that Irish road runners like to drive to the start line, and complain if that process is difficult, while at the same time the same small group of people holds events like this together voluntarily while numbers get bigger and demands get more demanding. RIP to a memorable and historic event, and thanks to all who made it happen through the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Oh no, such a shame! I was going to do it this year as a club mate had a transfer but decided against.

In fairness I can see where they are coming from. It is increasingly difficult to get volunteers and stewards for these types of events. Most runners I know have never stewarded or marshalled in their lives. Moral of the story is that these events wouldn't happen without volunteers so help out your local club every now and again by helping out behind the scenes and not just racing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Ah no! I love this race! Its a big talking point in work too every year and I'd always meet loads I knew down there too. The summer 5 miles series is gone as well. I've only done that once and they were great local events too. The beast of Ballyandreen is no more!! I'd been planning another lash at the summer series. The organisers, in fairness, are at this for 40 years now and they are not getting any younger I suppose, so you can't blame them for wanting to retire, especially if they are finding it hard to get new blood in to take over. As far as the social media thing is concerned - yeah there were a few problems in 2017, but there had been changes to the access to the start line, so teething problems were to be expected and there were plenty of warnings given out beforehand to get there early, but people still rocked up late and got stuck in the crowd and complained. I think I might have read the some complaints this year too (I could be wrong) - the usual guff about getting no banana at the end and other such rubbish. I'd have a pain in me nads too if I was involved in organising this with the whole moaning on social media thing - the guys put on good cheep local races with no frills that were well organised. The summer series 5 milers were only €5 each and again were great social occasions, with the added bonus of having a race within a race - you had your time for each race, but also an overall time if you did the whole series, and you got a plaque at the end too if you did all 4.
    A big loss to the Irish race scene, but an even bigger one to Cork I think.
    The Mallow 10 will be a sell out this year on the back of this I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

That's a huge blow to Irish running.

Time for a Cork club to step up and continue the legacy?

I get the social media comment. It's a far cry from the early days when you put on a race, tea sambos and that was it.

Who'd be a race organiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Djoucer wrote: »

I get the social media comment. It's a far cry from the early days when you put on a race, tea sambos and that was it.

Definitely it's sad when the the most important question is what do the t shirt and medal look like.

Huge blow for the Irish road running scene

I agree on all points. Might be a chance for the Cork BHAA either - maybe do a race series in association with the marathon? I don't know how big the local clubs are - but maybe they could join forces?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

An awful shame to see it go. I did it this year and like it's been said, if you were there in an any way reasonable time, there was no problem at the start. I parked at garryvoe and got the shuttle bus in and out. Really enjoyed the race, great local support too. I guess I'm going to be doubly careful of my mug and tshirt now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I get the social media comment.

100% - social media has turned races into a circus. Expectations too high. Sense of entitlement too high. People complaining that they have to walk 1km to the start line before running the race. Absolute load of rubbish. You see it on Facebook and to a lesser extent on here, people complaining about stupid stuff after a race. Wanting medals and jammed goody bags etc stuff that puts a huge load of pressure on organisers (getting sponsorship, getting stuff to put in goody bags, packing goody bags even is a huge undertaking especially for a race of this size)

I've never had the pleasure of doing Ballycotton, but, like any Irish runner it was one I'd have loved to do. Really, really disappointing news and terrible news for the Irish club race scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

100% - social media has turned races into a circus. Expectations too high. Sense of entitlement too high. People complaining that they have to walk 1km to the start line before running the race. Absolute load of rubbish. You see it on Facebook and to a lesser extent on here, people complaining about stupid stuff after a race. Wanting medals and jammed goody bags etc stuff that puts a huge load of pressure on organisers (getting sponsorship, getting stuff to put in goody bags, packing goody bags even is a huge undertaking especially for a race of this size)

I've never had the pleasure of doing Ballycotton, but, like any Irish runner it was one I'd have loved to do. Really, really disappointing news and terrible news for the Irish club race scene.

Hit the nail on the head RQ, I ran one of the countries more well known 5k's few years back which has a huge reputation for fast times. The main thing i heard people asking for at start/finish was 'jeez lads there's no tshirt for running this' & 'where is the medal' for a fupping 5k!!! Joke the way races have gone, social media and to Operation Transformation have huge influence on the Irish race scene currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

It's a real catch 22 situation, club races need numbers to fundraise, in order to get those numbers they have to try and compete with the commercial races for medals, goody bags etc. But then look at the success of the BHAA, no bling, just a great race and a great post race spread and their numbers are increasing each year. The moaning and complaining is ridiculous, the sense of entitlement is even more ridiculous! Especially, as someone else said, when it's coming from people who've never helped out or organised a race.

Fair enough, but I don't think Ballycotton is that kind of race, or attracts that kind of crowd. Most of the people complaining in 2016 were decent club runners who got stuck on the way to the start line because they left it too late to drop their bags because of the weather, as far as I recall. It's not a medal/tshirt/goodie bag race at all. Or rather wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Definitely it's sad when the the most important question is what do the t shirt and medal look like.

Huge blow for the Irish road running scene

I think the T-Shirt was the selling point in this race. Top 100 across the line got one. Finisher 101 would see a bucket been turned upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Very sad to see such an iconic race go. Had the pleasure of running it a few times. Will miss the pleasure of a few in McGrath's, The Blackbird and elsewhere after the race and staying around on the Sunday night. Heard soundings of this as a possibility last year and didn't think it would actually happen. It would have been nice to see the numbers paired back a bit but not sure they could do that and keep a reasonable entry fee. So many other costs and higher costs have come into play in recent years for organisers. A fine race and I am sure the other races within the series were also.

ger664 wrote:
    I think the T-Shirt was the selling point in this race. Top 100 across the line got one. Finisher 101 would see a bucket been turned upside down.

I'm not so sure about that actually. 100 t shirts, around 3000 runners? With only maybe 120 of them with a chance of a t shirt. The t shirt was a prize really, and not a freebie. Most of us never had a hope of getting one and still came back. This was just a great race and its popularity spread by pure word of mouth. A good time of year for those training for a spring marathon and the expectation of a strong field was what probably attracted the faster guys.

ger664 wrote: »

Sorry my comment was more based around those who run a race based off what the T shirt looks like. I know some runners who would kill for the tangible reward of a t shirt back in the days where they were flimsy cotton and you had to run under 56 minutes to get them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hard to know what to make of this.
    Reading the statement it seems they were just worn down and it is no surprise that an older generation wouldn't be overly fond of social media reaction.

The reality is that many races are now promoted through it, entry online and with photos going up afterwards. Criticism should be accepted as long as it is constructive.

I have never been down for that race but it always seemed a prestigious one to do.
    But then why allow the numbers to get too big.
    Keep the numbers small with a quality field and it would be a great aim for runners to just compete in the race then (maybe having to supply a qualifying race time to enter)

It would be a nice thing for runners to have 4/5 quality elite races across the country to aim for (maybe even a national road series from 5k to half leading to the Dublin Marathon).

Isn't there a 5k race in Armagh where you need to be sub17 or something? These races could have a higher price but no need for goodie bags or medals. Just put on a good quality race.

Anyway best of luck to them. For 40 years they seem to have served runners very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

The reasons for discontinuing it are not unique to Ballycotton and I wonder is it something we're going to be hearing more of.

Hard to know what to make of this.
    Reading the statement it seems they were just worn down and it is no surprise that an older generation wouldn't be overly fond of social media reaction.

The reality is that many races are now promoted through it, entry online and with photos going up afterwards. Criticism should be accepted as long as it is constructive.

I have never been down for that race but it always seemed a prestigious one to do.
    But then why allow the numbers to get too big.
    Keep the numbers small with a quality field and it would be a great aim for runners to just compete in the race then (maybe having to supply a qualifying race time to enter)

It would be a nice thing for runners to have 4/5 quality elite races across the country to aim for (maybe even a national road series from 5k to half leading to the Dublin Marathon).

Isn't there a 5k race in Armagh where you need to be sub17 or something? These races could have a higher price but no need for goodie bags or medals. Just put on a good quality race.

Anyway best of luck to them. For 40 years they seem to have served runners very well.

I think online criticism these days of races goes OTT

One example I saw recently was people giving out about a race being elitist by only giving first 200 finishers a medal and there was many boycott responses (for clarfication it was a primary school fund raiser that had never had more than 100 entrants)

In regards the ballycotton point they didn't let the numbers grow to big and capped numbers (sold out every year) reason given was planned changes to traffic management in lower sized races which is probably the start of changes to road racing in this country down the line as well as the lack of volunteer support and other factors

The Armagh 5k is also a logistical one for capping at 17 minutes. It's a 1 km loop with the winners winning just under 14 minute it reduces any chance of congestion due to lapping the back markers (they do have an open 3 km as well though)

Do agree with your point though I think there should be a Grand Prix style circuit which requires entry standards in the country to try and give tangible results for hard work and honest effort in training but very few race directors want to cut off potential revenue streams especially fund raising races (clubs/charities) and event management companies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Disappointed to hear about this being cancelled - had been hoping to do it next year for the first time.....there'll be some scramble now for the John Treacy 10 and Mallow 10.

Is there any chance a corporate sponsor, promoter and organising team could swoop in to the rescue? Surely there's money to be made from such an established event

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Disappointed to hear about this being cancelled - had been hoping to do it next year for the first time.....there'll be some scramble now for the John Treacy 10 and Mallow 10.

Is there any chance a corporate sponsor, promoter and organising team could swoop in to the rescue? Surely there's money to be made from such an established event

There was no mention in the notice of financial issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Yes, would be great to see Rock n Roll series take this over, charge a proper entry fee and really do a sensitive job preserving the ethos and history of the event. They could do a nice Rock version of the Ballycotton song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

They were never interested in making money. In fact, they refused to have an online entry for several years because they did not want to add the cost to the entry fee.

The organising committee got a year older with each passing year and after 40 years ... I can see why they reached the point where they said enough is enough.
    ger664 wrote: »
    Finisher 101 would see a bucket been turned upside down.

and an agonising sight it is too! :( And they did get some stick on a few occasions for the sexist attitude of handing out an average of 97 t-shirts to males and 3 to females; however, I doubt that had anything to do with the decision to end it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just to clarify my comment about corporate sponsors etc...

What I had in mind would have been something like the "Asics/Nike etc. Ballycotton 10" which would be good PR for them and keep at least some of the ethos of the original race.

The likes of Rock n Roll Inc. or Great Limerick Run taking it over would not be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Was surprised how sad it made me when a friend texted me last night :( It was definitely a unique event that brought people out that wouldn't normally run a 10m.

Guess I'll have to start taking better care of my mugs as no more replacements coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

opus wrote: »
    Was surprised how sad it made me when a friend texted me last night :(

Me too. I've never run it, but it was on my bucket list. It's also a bit worrying given the reasons stated. No doubt planning and organising races can be a thankless task. It also seems that marshalling can be quite difficult, particularly where public roads are closed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Just to clarify my comment about corporate sponsors etc...

What I had in mind would have been something like the "Asics/Nike etc. Ballycotton 10" which would be good PR for them and keep at least some of the ethos of the original race.

The likes of Rock n Roll Inc. or Great Limerick Run taking it over would not be good

With all due respect, I really couldn't see Asics or Nike giving two fiddlers about good PR among a community of people in a minority sport within a small country. They are too busy making fortunes elsewhere in things like the NFL and what not.

Very sad to hear a race with such prestige disappear. Bit concerning that if events like that are dying off, then where will the sport be in 20 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I'm counting myself fortunate to have finally gotten to run it last year and put in a surprisingly decent performance on the day. I did buy two of the cotton t-shirts as well which I did wonder about at the time but given this news I'm happy with the souvenirs that I can wear everyday. I think the entry system added a bit of mystique to the race, plus the tradition and competitiveness upfront, but the size and the scale of the current demand probably hasn't helped. I can't help thinking that the failure of the online entry system the last couple of years has had an impact on some of the negative social media angle they mention.

Sad that one of the old Munster Classics is gone. Kilnaboy 10 is also under pressure. They had been struggling for numbers and the Run Clare series got involved, but have now moved on and set up another 10 miler in the same county on the same weekend as Kilnaboy would have traditionally been on. I expect Kilnaboy will struggle to survive with this development. I have very positive memories of both races and can't help feeling very sad with this news.

My one and only mug has now gone from everyday use to a protected position at the back of the drawer.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    With all due respect, I really couldn't see Asics or Nike giving two fiddlers about good PR among a community of people in a minority sport within a small country. They are too busy making fortunes elsewhere in things like the NFL and what not.

Very sad to hear a race with such prestige disappear. Bit concerning that if events like that are dying off, then where will the sport be in 20 years?

I suppose there's a free weekend in the race calendar now which hopefully will be filled by something else, but maybe on a smaller scale? The organisers are at this for 40 years - that's a long time by any measure and I suppose age catches up with us all eventually. I hope that if someone else doesn't take up the mantle of running the 10 that another race will pop up somewhere else around the area and maybe, in time, it will become a classic itself.

Advertisement