Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phase 2 E&I solas practical exam.

Options
  • 05-10-2017 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Can anyone tell me where I can find examples of the practical exam for phase 2 electrical and instrumentation apprenticeship. Maybe someone on here has done it recently

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

I did it last year.

Are you looking for info on the electrical installation, electronic or one of the instrumentation practicals.

Solas don't make past or example papers available. But tutors prepare you fairly well in fairness for all eventualities.

Are you in baldoyle , Cork or Sligo??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Post questions here if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wellpastit

Son in Sligo. Want to know about electrical practical. Done an exercise this week but ran out of the allowed time had bonding to do and then test.
    Seemed a lot for a 12 hour test ,working in maintenance position so limited installation experience. He has no issues with circuits but worried he won't get finished.
    Do you have to get finished to pass exam?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don’t know the answer to that but I am sure one of the lecturers / instructors in Sligo would be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

It's vague in the memory. Think it's out of 15 marks. 12 for a credit, 9 or 10 for a pass. If you get done 2hrs before the finish there's a mark for that.

Tell your son to ask the tutor for a look at the marking scheme. There is a couple of must get marks, eg cct must work, must be completed in 12hrs are 2 must haves I remember. If you don't get these it's an automatic fail.

Where people fail is trying to get everything millimeter perfect. Some lads are sh*t hot, others like your son and me might not see a piece of conduit for the rest of our apprenticeship. Guys then end up running out of time, not getting cct to work, and this get an automatic fail

If you look at the marking scheme you will see what the marks are awarded for. A lot are for simple things. Eg, wearing ppe, filing sharp edges, etc. Just look to pick up the simple marks.

The main thing is to get finished. Make sure you do. Some lads with me put together awful heaps of crap because it would only lose them one mark, but they gained one mark then in getting it finished quicker.
    Most with me finished on the first day, so in 6hrs. You really shouldn't be struggling to finish, and if you are you are trying to be too perfect, or summer guys sadly just aren't cut out for it.
    2 of the 12 with me failed, not because of time or anything, they just couldn't get it. If your son is one of these he is going to have to work really hard and smart to pass, if not, he's worrying too much trying to be perfect as I say and running out of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Why not build a board at home for him to practice on . He has the job layout from the training school , Sat & sunday he could get an extra practice job in , at home in the garage to get him up to speed

Advertisement