Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minerals for Sheep Welfare Scheme.

• 05-10-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Have people with early lambing flocks treated their ewes with minerals for the scheme if in it?

Heard today that mineral fluid doses (oral doses) are not acceptable for the scheme?....is this true?

Heard you have to give a bolus a month before letting the ewes out with the ram.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cuff92

Have people with early lambing flocks treated their ewes with minerals for the scheme if in it?

Heard today that mineral fluid doses (oral doses) are not acceptable for the scheme?....is this true?

Heard you have to give a bolus a month before letting the ewes out with the ram.

No ram out here yet. That's rubbish oral doses will be accepted.

No minimum 7 days pre tipping.

I don't no will we bolus again this year or maybe change to dosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

cuff92 wrote: »

No ram out here yet. That's rubbish oral doses will be accepted.

No minimum 7 days pre tipping.

I don't no will we bolus again this year or maybe change to dosing.

Thanks pm sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well I gave mine an oral dose last week and will be putting that down in my scheme book. I used a product called Grovite.

arctictree wrote: »
    Well I gave mine an oral dose last week and will be putting that down in my scheme book. I used a product called Grovite.

Seen it looks like a good mix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

taken from department presentation

Mineral Supplementation Ewes post mating

60 days post mating

Bagged mineral feedingstuffs (dry minerals), mineral blocks, drenches and liquid minerals, injectables, boluses or included in compounded feedingstuffs.

Use in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.

Retain receipts and record in Action Record book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Just read 1 off the lick buckets red crystalx 40kg says it does 25 ewes 30 days... so for 25 ewes over the 60 day period I'd need 2 there around €40 a piece that's 80c a ewe the mayo bolus I know Is supposed till last a year but I'm sceptical and it comes in around €1.15c a ewe what's people using drench wise and what's it working out per ewe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Lambman wrote: »
    Just read 1 off the lick buckets red crystalx 40kg says it does 25 ewes 30 days... so for 25 ewes over the 60 day period I'd need 2 there around €40 a piece that's 80c a ewe the mayo bolus I know Is supposed till last a year but I'm sceptical and it comes in around €1.15c a ewe what's people using drench wise and what's it working out per ewe?

You're not really comparing like with like there, I presume there's a broad range of minerals in the crystalyx but there's also some feed/energy in it to complement the grass that's not in boluses......stlll doesn't make them value for money though unless the convenience is worth a lot of money to you.
    Like you I don't think some farmers are aware how long those oral doses last or how many they need for the 60 days and that will come back to bite them later, ie does it say on the growvite label how long it lasts,.. there's 20mgs cobalt in a 10ml dose, that's only enough cobalt for 20 days if there's some cobalt in the grass.......of course the salesman will tell you it'll last months, but if it's not written on the box....

rangler1 wrote: »
    You're not really comparing like with like there, I presume there's a broad range of minerals in the crystalyx but there's also some feed/energy in it to complement the grass that's not in boluses......stlll doesn't make them value for money though unless the convenience is worth a lot of money to you.
    Like you I don't think some farmers are aware how long those oral doses last or how many they need for the 60 days and that will come back to bite them later, ie does it say on the growvite label how long it lasts,.. there's 20mgs cobalt in a 10ml dose, that's only enough cobalt for 20 days if there's some cobalt in the grass.......of course the salesman will tell you it'll last months, but if it's not written on

Suppose you just have to wade through the bs and get the best product for you. I think cheap and cheerful dose a 3 important times of the year. Pre tip post tip and pre lambing and plenty of cobalt in between and all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Like you I don't think some farmers are aware how long those oral doses last or how many they need for the 60 days and that will come back to bite them later, ie does it say on the growvite label how long it lasts,.. there's 20mgs cobalt in a 10ml dose, that's only enough cobalt for 20 days if there's some cobalt in the grass.......of course the salesman will tell you it'll last months, but if it's not written on the box....

Cobalt won't last pissing time in the body no matter how ya get it into them. But for this scheme they only care about what's on the label.

ganmo wrote: »
    Cobalt won't last pissing time in the body no matter how ya get it into them. But for this scheme they only care about what's on the label.

YEA, that's what I was trying to highlight, cobalt definitely won't last the required 60 days unless in a slow release bolus. wonder what length they are claiming on a growvite label

• Advertisement

Attached an image of the mineral we gave today.

Looks a good drench. Had high level of all the main trace elements

How much is it?

razor8 wrote: »

How much is it?

And it claims the required two mths with one dose

Once it says it on the label & it's on approved list it doesn't matter if works of not!!

Made by inform aka mervue labs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I'm a bit iffy about the wording on the label-"repeat after two months". Ifs not stating clearly that it lasts 2 months, and isn't that what the department want. It's worded the same way on a dose I got, turbo sheep I think it's called

I'm a bit iffy about the wording on the label-"repeat after two months". Ifs not stating clearly that it lasts 2 months, and isn't that what the department want. It's worded the same way on a dose I got, turbo sheep I think it's called

I suppose you're right, it's not a big job to dose again in a month to be sure, I used a bolus to be sure to be sure, I usually give it to them at mating anyway.
    Looks like I'll only be getting €600 anyway instead of the €4000 that i should've been getting before I decided to retire, so it's not going to be the end of the world if i get it wrong

razor8 wrote: »

How much is it?

Nearly sure it was 57 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I suppose you're right, it's not a big job to dose again in a month to be sure, I used a bolus to be sure to be sure, I usually give it to them at mating anyway.
    Looks like I'll only be getting €600 anyway instead of the €4000 that i should've been getting before I decided to retire, so it's not going to be the end of the world if i get it wrong

You should have stayed going another year! Ah it's not bit job to do them again to be fair, but people just need to know where they stand at the beginning if they want to collect as much if the grant as possible

probably made by the same crowd
    if you still have the bottle see if you can find the same licence or ufas numbers on it as the one in cuff's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

I thought sheep only took minerals themselves when they needed them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Would it not have made sense for the Dept to have collated a list of suitable products under each type.....drenches,boluses etc and then there would be no confusion about this element of the scheme.

Farmers would know what they could use then from an approved list.

Usually dose the ewes with product like Bovithrive or Growvite here before going with ram and a month after then....won't be changing routine and will note when ewes treated....Salesman I get product from says they will be getting a 'writing' that will satisfy the Dept that Mineral drench meets criteria.There has to be some common sense with these schemes too.

Would it not have made sense for the Dept to have collated a list of suitable products under each type.....drenches,boluses etc and then there would be no confusion about this element of the scheme.

Farmers would know what they could use then from an approved list.

having a defined list wouldn't work, then new products would be a pain to get made, even a name change would be a pain in the hole.

there is a list of approved mineral manufacturers thats the list to work off. on each product label theres an approval number(sometimes called an alpha number). it starts with either an 'A' or the greek letter alpha followed by a county code C for cork etc and then a six digit number

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/agri-foodindustry/feedingstuffs/listsoffbos-registeredandapproved/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Will be letting out the ram👠on Saturday,beforehand will give the ewes a mineral dose.Even though you don’t have to give it till post tipping for the scheme,I will record this treatment on Saturday in book and again when I do them about 6 weeks after going with ram.

Advertisement