Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does an auctioneer have any to inform top bidder of new top bid?

Options
  • 05-10-2017 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Per the title, is there any legal requirement for an auctioneer to inform the previous Top bidder of a new higher Bid? (Assuming the previous Top bidders bid was formally accepted)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Per the title, is there any legal requirement for an auctioneer to inform the previous Top bidder of a new higher Bid? (Assuming the previous Top bidders bid was formally accepted)
    A bid is never formally accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

On my first house I thought our bid was formerly accepted. We even paid a deposit. About a week later we found out that they were still showing the house.
    As above it's never formerly accepted. Well maybe when contact is being signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

No obligation to inform the previous highest bidder but it makes sense that they should. The vendor can choose to accept any bid from the highest to the lowest. Being the highest bidder doesn't guarantee you'll win the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭flashforward

A bid is never formally accepted.

Sorry I mean acknowledged and logged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Remember the auctioneer is working for the seller not for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Sorry I mean acknowledged and logged

Yes it is. All bids/offers have to be recorded. It is the law and it is regulated.

Unfortunately though gazumping exists. Your bid may have been accepted by the vendor and even received sale agreed letter and put down deposit, but there is no law against someone else coming in and offering more. The EA MUST inform the vendor and if they advise they wish to go ahead with that then that is what the EA must do.

Until contracts signed unfortunately nothing is completely set in stone.

Advertisement