Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who was the worst teacher you ever had?

• 05-10-2017 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

We all hear people lauding the teacher who "made me the (wo)man I am today" but what about those who didn't make as much of an impact?

Mine was the one I had for JC history. Their teaching tactic was less "impart knowledge" and "make them utterly terrified". A woman on a power trip. The entire class didn't perform to scratch on a class test once and she spent the whole period giving out to us for doing nothing.

She would lock students out of the classroom if they were late for class. Happened to me once.

Comments

If it were me and my pupils were late then I'd probably lock them out too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I think everyone had that teacher who was always riding and getting the year off to give birth to that little bundle of joy.

I didn't have an Irish teacher for my junior cert. Too busy riding and not caring about the children.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The nuns .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

First year communications lecturer in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

We used to have a guy that would talk to himself and go to sleep sometimes too.

Heard he had a nervous breakdown a few years after.

We used to have a teacher who, if someone was talking in class, would slap a sliotar of the back wall with a hurley. Mad as the proverbial brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I'm following just to see does anybody mention something I've done...:o:o:o:o:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

rossie1977 wrote: »
    First year communications lecturer in college.

DCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Ummm, hard to pick, maybe the alcoholic that used to get drunk every lunch time and stagger back to class.
    Or the young teacher straight out if training, used to cry every single class and storm out.
    Probably the worst was a really smart guy, but he just couldn't teach, he didn't know how to explain the most basic things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I tried to ride my French teacher.

I didn't learn much but I did love her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Primary school principal who used to take the class when the regualr teacher was ill. The term "teacher" is a bit of a stretch, "violent republican thug" would be closer.

I missed having him as a full time teacher by one year and am thankful to this day for it. No tellimg how ****ed up I'd be if I'd had to put up with his **** full-time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭garyskeepers

we had this one teacher.,, he was a toe rag of the higest order..

he used to rub his cock on your elbow, and pick his teeth with 50 pound bills...

he used to make us clean and hoover his car as a punishment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

we had this one teacher.,, he was a toe rag of the higest order..

he used to rub his cock on your elbow, and pick his teeth with 50 pound bills...

he used to make us clean and hoover his car as a punishment...

Wait, what?!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I went to Da Skool ov hard nocks n da university of life
    /fulltimemadbastard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Following this in case i am mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

When questioned about how little prep we were doing for the oral exam our LC Irish teacher told us it'd be no bother to us considering the amount of shíte we talked in class. Dickhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My junior infants teacher who was the most horrible women I have ever met.
    So many unpleasant stories.
    One boy's water bottle went missing and she set up a "court" to determine who had stolen it while making it obvious she believed it was a little traveller boy. She made a square out of bookshelves, took each of us inside on our own saying this was the "court" where you couldn't lie and "interviewed" us, asking if we had seen this boy with the water bottle. Even at 4 we all knew exactly what was going on.
    The boy who had lost the water bottle found it at home a few days later.

It was really stressful and we were all very worried about it and what was going to happen. It was a full scale psycho overreaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I had a brilliantly bad Spanish teacher at leaving cert level back in France (Bac). All we did for the entire year was read a few wacky Spanish short stories, a few poems, and nothing else. He was mostly too drunk to care, but when he got passionate about literature he was great.
    We used to turn up for class, and more often than not he would be missing. We were allowed leave the school when a teacher was out, so we'd go for coffee at the bar round the corner and meet ... our Spanish teacher, guzzling red wine.

I made sure I had more or less what was needed (poem, text, whatever...) for the oral exam. I think we all had a note saying we had had Mr Cortada when we presented for the oral, and I remember the reaction of the examiner on hearing his name. They must have thought I did a good job by myself, because I got an 18/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Teachers, hmm that would be stretching it a bit far.

More like lifers just waiting out till the time of their retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

A teacher I was meant to have but rarely did.

Woman managed to perfectly time here pregnancies so that she was perpetually on maternity leave during term.

Think I had her for 6 months in 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think everyone had that teacher who was always riding and getting the year off to give birth to that little bundle of joy.

I didn't have an Irish teacher for my junior cert. Too busy riding and not caring about the children.

we had a teacher like that (luckily she was a guidance 'teacher') in the 6years I was in school she was only there 1 and a half years. its crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

we had an alcoholic teacher. he would sit in his car at lunch and drink. I think they finally moved him on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

In primary school we had this bitch of a teacher , god I hated her so much .

Anyway... Move on a few decades .... My sister bought a house and low and behold it was this horrible woman's house . ...sale eventually went through only after a load of bullshyte from this hag . Didn't she come up to the house a month after sale of house to say she forgot to take the curtains in living room but if my sister wanted to pay her she could keep them .

I tell you this.... If I had one wish in the whole world , never mind world hunger , my wish would be to be at that house the day she came for the curtains , I'd string the hag up by the bloody curtains and snap every one of her crooked fingers she used to poke us with in school.

The bitch!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

A wan who taught in the school me and my brother went to had 8 children in the space of about 8 years. She'd triplets one time mind you but still. Must have been absolutely mad for the hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

A Christian Brother who also became the principal.
    He was despicable man and a bad teacher.
    He eventually left the "Brotherhood".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Had a few awful teachers but probably the worst was a primary school teacher I had who was eternally miserable and grumpy and putting people down. The very worst thing though was that she refused to let pupils go to the toilet in between breaks and lunch. Instead before each break she made everyone line up outside the toilets to use them. But if you didn't need to go at that time but did a couple of hours later during class, then tough luck.
    Bloody disgusting really and cannot understand why anyone would think that was a reasonable way to treat anyone let alone young children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Never saw it myself but did anyone ever encounter teachers fighting physical or otherwise ?? I'd say it would be funny and would not be helped by all the heckling lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

At school one teacher I had (secondary school) spent at least 50% of class time doing his own work / writing a book. He is old now and retired. His classes consistently got appalling leaving cert results but he was not sacked. Another teacher in primary school used to read the paper in class to amuse herself while we done something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

A rambling half drunk guy with a speech impediment.

I was sat beside a psychopath twice my size who used to stab me with a compass.

Being in a class size of about 40 I was too far from the aforementioned ''teacher'' to hear his speech impediment in full flow on a subject that I'd have no later use for anyway.

I was told I was the problem and couldn't take the subject at LC*.
    (*a qualification which was sold to me, for some years, as extremely important, but which would prove as valuable as a Venezuelan 2 peso note)

When I'd get home I'd be greeted by my mentally ill parent.

On Sundays I'd go to a church that was run by wealth hoarding pedophiles where I'd be told an omnipotent being would make everything alright in the end.

Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Not necessarily the worst teacher, but I had one who was a complete and utter nutter. I mean that quite literally, you'd swear he had broken out of a mental institution. During one class, some lads towards the back of the room were sniggering and having a laugh. He warned them once. Then they went and f*cked up by doing it again... He picked up a desk, and flung it across the room. The room was half empty but it flew a good 4/5 metres at least. I must've been only 15/16 at the time, but I swear I've never been more terrified in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A maths teacher who got in my head so much I could actually hear her negative words to me in the LC exam and I ended up failing.

An Irish teacher who used to follow us to the toilet when we'd need to go and sit outside and wait for us to finish. He threw a chair at another student who called him a perv. He was our History teacher too and insisted on teaching us History as Gaeilge.

I was taught by nuns in primary school and they were all horrible. They'd never let you pee when you needed to go and would pick a student every Monday morning to stand up and give a summary of the Sunday sermon at mass to make sure we went.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭garyskeepers

Burial. wrote: »
    Wait, what?!

yep,,, filthy....

i remember when he was writing on the board, of of the lads threw a compas as the board.. and the teacher tried to get us to tell who threw it.. when he got no joy, he started this

"I would say whoever threw that compass their mother was a slut who rode everone she ever met,, i would say she was a filthy diseased slut"

ha, and my mate says "my ma is not a slut"

and he said

"did i say your mother was a slut? i said whoever THREW the compass their mother was a slut

mad stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Our wagon primary school principal used to have us reciting prayers seven times a day:

1. Before lessons
    2. After first "sos"
    3. The Angelus at midday
    4. Grace before meals at lunchtime
    5. Grace after meals
    6. After second "sos"
    7. At home time.

She was an absolutely vile woman, one who would go out of her way to belittle anyone that was brighter than her own kids (who were grand, actually, not little shíts at all!) A total bully who was supposedly "religious".

Prayers and endless tables of Irish verbs are all I remember about lessons in 5th and 6th class. Very little time was given to English or Maths (especially the latter) so many of us found ourselves way behind in Maths when starting secondary school.

Secondary school was great after two years of the above. The principal and teachers were brilliant and really did their best for everyone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Had a vicious príck in primary school who liked to hit kids. Slapped a kid so hard across the face that you could still make out the imprint of his hand.

Saw him years later at a bus stop while I was attending secondary school, a few choice words were exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Too many to list from my old school in Raheny. They described themselves as a "college" for some reason I never thought to work out. But to say the teachers were pretty universally awful would be an understatement.

From a Religion and Irish teacher who got teary eyed every time she discussed god (in both subjects at great length, not much Irish was taught)......

to a German teacher who periodically collected a lot of money for tatty ripped books that already were in our library for decades.......... only to coincidentally show up the following week wearing new sweaters.............

to a year head (chemistry teacher, thankfully I never took chemistry) who gave detention to anyone he found actually studying..... on the sole assumption they must have been doing homework they were meant to do the night before........ and walked around like a self satisfied goon on a power trip because being a teacher was likely the only way in his life he would get authority over everyone.

to a french teacher who did nothing but play Monty Python films for us over and over.........

to an English teacher who did nothing but make us learn reams of texts off by heart while trying to recruit us all into the boxing club and selling us his own book on leaving cert English which he apparently self published because no one else would.............

to a slurring history teacher smelling of fresh whisky with a strangely German name who spent the entire class mumbling towards the black board while half the students screamed obscenities at him and threw enormous spit balls.........

I had assumed all schools were that bad, until I repeated the Leaving Cert in Whitehall and it was the EXACT opposite and I got straight As in all the subjects I repeated there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

In primary, we had one teacher who, looking back, I reckon was bi-polar. Moody bollocks one day and all smiles the next. It wasn't easy to have him as a teacher as you never knew what kind of mood he'd be in. He occasionally hung kids by the hood of the sports uniform from the coat hooks. We would have been 7 or 8 so wouldn't have reached the ground.

In secondary, we had one teacher who had some mental issues. Apparently, she later ended up in a mental hospital, which was unsurprising. She was a tyrant in class and hadn't a clue what she was on about. She imagined a lot of stuff that was going too, roaring at the quietest students because she thought they'd been talking or done something to offend her and was very quick to flip out at anyone. She also had a thing of coming into class and immediately kicking out the students who messed about before the class had even started. The amazing thing was she lasted a few years.

The vice-principal and maths/biology teacher was known to drink and smoke in her office and tended to warble on nonsensically in class. I've never been that good at maths or that interested in science but on the day of the LC maths exam, I dropped down to ordinary level because I hadn't a clue and I scraped through, similar with biology. I did a lot of study on my own and that's what got me through both of them. The principal was also quite fond of drinking and smoking in his office and the two of them were regularly seen down the pub from four o'clock onwards every day of the week.

It wasn't my teacher but my sis had a German teacher who used to go on about how she preferred French and would start teaching French in the German class.

I think the problem we had was it was all-Irish school so the pool of talent, so to speak, is a lot shallower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I guess everyone had that teacher that they never got on with, I'm no exception, hated the guy, he hated me, but he knew his stuff in fairness, I was just too stubborn to fully appreciate at the time, so I'm not going to suggest him, though I would have at 17 for sure!

We had a guy who taught Geography and Higher Maths for the LC. Complete waste of time, whatever love he had for teaching was gone, long gone. For Higher Maths he'd use the answer derived by one of the lads who was able to do it and share it around with the rest of the class (I wasn't in that class, but the lads would come out and tell us all this, some lads didn't even bother doing Higher, knowing they wouldn't get the support through the 2 years from him).
    For Geography he'd photocopy notes from a lad a year ahead of us, all fine when in 5th year, first day back in 6th Year I asked how did that fella get on in his Leaving the previous May;

"A C3" he says. He insisted on using the notes anyway for 6th year. He'd organise the Xmas Mass or "Aifrinn na Nollaig" every year too, so you could see they were trying to keep him busy.

-EDIT- I had stated he was a nice enough fella, after which I somehow remembered two incidents with him that made me question how I thought that and how I'd blocked them out until now:

- My parents were unable to attend the 6th Year Parent-Teacher meeting sessions, my Mam had a meeting with a consultant where she was given a prognosis on her recently diagnosed terminal cancer. The principal knew as my Dad had rang to inform, he was told not to talk to me about it until the prognosis was known but to send on the apologies to the other teachers, which he said he'd do. Anyway, this Geography teacher in his class the next day was going off on a rant, which he would tend to do if he felt we weren't paying attention for some reason he settled on me and said "and you sure, your parents couldn't even bother coming to the meeting yesterday, shows you all you need to know". I'm still not sure how I didn't react and I was hotheaded as a teen, I thank my friends sitting near by really. Told my Dad when I went home and there was a war of words in the office the next day. The guy never even apologised to me about it, just gave some patronising praise at the end of the school year, which coming from him meant nothing.

- 5 years later I met him one quiet Monday evening whilst working a part time job in a Dept store whilst finishing a Masters, he was in with his wife and I said hello in passing, he turned and said "ah so this is where you ended up, it's more than I expected to be honest", which I only had to laugh at given my results in school were always alright, teachers said I could do way more but I was one of those lads that just sails by until they get a kick up the ass (they were right). His wife was suitably shocked and even pulled him aside. I didn't even bother responding to him to explain the situation , Grad role sorted, moving abroad yadda yadda. He wasn't worth the time or effort clarifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Burial. wrote: »
    Wait, what?!

yep,,, filthy....

i remember when he was writing on the board, of of the lads threw a compas as the board.. and the teacher tried to get us to tell who threw it.. when he got no joy, he started this

"I would say whoever threw that compass their mother was a slut who rode everone she ever met,, i would say she was a filthy diseased slut"

ha, and my mate says "my ma is not a slut"

and he said

"did i say your mother was a slut? i said whoever THREW the compass their mother was a slut

mad stuff

That's genius by the teacher. Fair play to him. Someone just threw a compass at his turned back he deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Taught by nuns who taught us mental arithmetic by assigning us a number, standing us on chairs and shouting "Number 27 - what is 11 times 13 ?"

If you didnt get the answer before she got to you, you got a whack on the shin with a stick.

Having said that - I'm heading for 50 and s**t hot on mental arithmetic still!!!!

Oh and we had a teacher who used to get the pretty girls to sit on the front desk while he taught.

Wasn't till he left someone twigged he had a mirror on the blackboard "strategically placed".

70s and 80s schools!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Primary school teacher who knew I was being bullied in her class but ignored it, sometimes even encouraged it.

She made a move to teaching at third level, guess it's kinda hard to be a primary teacher when you hate kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

andreoilin wrote: »
    Primary school teacher who knew I was being bullied in her class but ignored it, sometimes even encouraged it.

She made a move to teaching at third level, guess it's kinda hard to be a primary teacher when you hate kids.

I had a teacher who asked me to apologise to the girl who was bullying me as "we all should live in harmony".

I still have the scar where the b***h hit me with a lit bunsen burner.

Peace and love me hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A national school teacher pre banning of corporal punishment .She was vicious and a thug . She enjoyed clattering people with a bamboo cane and had her favourites and her arch enemies .We all knew this and tried our best to protect the kids but she was too evil .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

My maths teacher was terrible. Literally spent 3 minutes at the start of class writing what we had to do on the board, then leaving us to do it while he pissed off to smoke fags.

I ended up having to take grinds for the leaving cert and the tutor was absolutely livid when we got talking about what would come up on the paper. We were told nothing about what to expect and the set of questions that could come up.

It's supposedly a much better school now (that grinds tutor teacher there now) but it was terrible back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My history teacher thought Afghanistan was in central America.

My physics and maths teacher, OTOH, was inspirational and a massive loss to the school when she left to take over the family business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

No real terrible teachers but then again I wasn't a little sh!t with some undiagnosed learning/ behaviour disability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My history teacher thought Afghanistan was in central America.

My physics and maths teacher, OTOH, was inspirational and a massive loss to the school when she left to take over the family business.

Just be grateful that's not what he/she taught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

CruelCoin wrote: »
    A teacher I was meant to have but rarely did.

Woman managed to perfectly time here pregnancies so that she was perpetually on maternity leave during term.

Think I had her for 6 months in 6 years.

I think I had the same teacher. Perfectly timed conceptions, over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where do i start so many to choose from....or maybe it was just me being a crap student?

anyway had this vindictive maths teacher who insisted that me (the weakest at maths) go up in front of the class and solve a maths question on the blackboard ...in other words...ritual humiliation ....what a cnut she was...thanks b!tch for ruining my confidence to all things mathematical ....who knows i could have been a nuclear scientist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My old maths teacher in secondary school, mad as a proverbial hatter but in a nice way. He used to tell us stories about his old Mercedes car that he owned many moons ago and even showed us pictures. He used to go off on weird rants about pronunciation like how the word prism has one syllable not two (pris-um) and roar out prrrsm!!!.
    He was physically a bit of a shambles, one day one of the pupils (now a well known irish comedian on the telly) put a can of deodorant on his desk before he came into class. This was about 30 years ago and to this day I still remember how hard I laughed that day. Funny thing was his response, he looked at it said Mr R I believe this is yours and handed back to him, he was crazy but not stupid.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Without doubt the f**king 'good sister's'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

@ supercell

you got me intrigued....who was the comedian (intials will do) and whats with the deodorant?

• Advertisement
Advertisement