Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to replace downlighters

Options
  • 05-10-2017 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Could someone give me a rough price to replace 22 dimmable Halogen downlighters with LEDs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You'd need to know if they are GU 10 230V or mr16 LV 12 V

Makes the world of difference. See the led lamp sticky the first post explains it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Current downlighters are GU 10 230V

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Current downlighters are GU 10 230V

You can just replace the bulbs themselves to led. Change the bulbs yourself and you are looking at around 10 euro per bulb for a decent bulb

Sleeper12 wrote:
    You can just replace the bulbs themselves to led. Change the bulbs yourself and you are looking at around 10 euro per bulb for a decent bulb

Correct you only need to change the lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If your near Ikea thier led gu10s are quite good, 2 for €6 I think. If the others are dimmable it would be best to take the dimmers off as most leds are not dimmable.

• Advertisement

Hey folks,

Just checked with the guy who wired the house, and all the downlighters are the ones with individual transformers attached to them. Im assuming thats more costly to replace?

Just checked with the guy who wired the house, and all the downlighters are the ones with individual transformers attached to them. Im assuming thats more costly to replace?

Yes you have mr16 lamps. I've pictures on the first page of the led sticky post . You can check yourself

You will need gu10 holders to replace the 12V units with, the electrician will need to remove the transformers too.

It will mostly take time rather than materials. Ask him to do it if you know him

I would, only there's a slight issue with trust :)  He's grand, but we've had issues in every room in the house - from dimmer switches buzzing, sockets not level, etc.  Would much rather do them myself if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I would, only there's a slight issue with trust :) He's grand, but we've had issues in every room in the house - from dimmer switches buzzing, sockets not level, etc. Would much rather do them myself if possible.

You can buy low voltage LED bulbs & just replace the bulbs.

Even if you buy dimmable LEDs the dimmers already installed may need to be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you are doing them. Turn power off at board and check its definitely off.

Take off clip holding lamp in, pull fitting down slowly as their are 2 springs holding it to plasterboard, then pull the cable and transformer down.
    Now you should see a junction box or at very least connectors, disconnect the transformer side and now you can connect the new tails into the blue & brown ends of connector.

The tails won't be coloured so doesn't matter which ones goes where.

Make sure to be careful with connections and make sure they are tight and cable doesn't pull out.

Then put all back the way it was.

• Advertisement

Deadly - thanks a million folks.
    And now my final question - best place to buy LED bulbs to replace the downlighters?
    And possibly LED Dimmer switches?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Deadly - thanks a million folks.
    And now my final question - best place to buy LED bulbs to replace the downlighters?
    And possibly LED Dimmer switches?

Have you an electrical wholesaler anywhere near by??

Have you an electrical wholesaler anywhere near by??

Yep, Im in Galway so there are a few.

You need a trailing edge dimmer. Made by Varilight, a subsidiary of Phillips. Doesn't work well with Phillips leds but works great with IKEA

Advertisement