Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Torch & other lights

Options
  • 05-10-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭

Want to splash out & get a head torch for the winter evenings. Seen a good selection on Amazon and the prices are not too bad. What I really want to know is what sort of Lumens number do I want to go for. I want to be seen & be able to see where I am going but don't want a flood light on my head either.

Aside from the old reliable high vis vest what else do people wear/reccomend. I have read that the athlights are pretty good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Want to splash out & get a head torch for the winter evenings. Seen a good selection on Amazon and the prices are not too bad. What I really want to know is what sort of Lumens number do I want to go for. I want to be seen & be able to see where I am going but don't want a flood light on my head either.

Aside from the old reliable high vis vest what else do people wear/reccomend. I have read that the athlights are pretty good.

I wear reflective snap bands or arm bands around my ankles and upper arms.

I need a good head torch too so following with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Still using the head torch I mentioned in this thread from back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You really don't need one unless you are heading to unlit / poorly lit areas.
    I've a rechargeable one in my bag and used it maybe half a dozen times last year.
    Pick up something cheap initially and unless you are heading off road you don't need anything too powerful.
    Main difference between prices will be how water proof they are and how fast they burn through batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I just wear a hi-vis vest and generally try and pick lighter colours for the t-shirts as they show up better under light.

For the headlamps I've normally just gone to the DIY section in TK Maxx where they always have a couple of different options. 80-100 lumens is as much as you would need I'd be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You really don't need one unless you are heading to unlit / poorly lit areas.
    I've a rechargeable one in my bag and used it maybe half a dozen times last year.
    Pick up something cheap initially and unless you are heading off road you don't need anything too powerful.
    Main difference between prices will be how water proof they are and how fast they burn through batteries.

Country roads with no lighting so definitely fit into the unlit/poorly lit areas category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Country roads with no lighting so definitely fit into the unlit/poorly lit areas category.

Same here, we can't all be city slickers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

it's good as an alert to traffic so, but if you get a bright one keep it pointed down and don't blind your potential killer :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    it's good as an alert to traffic so, but if you get a bright one keep it pointed down and don't blind your potential killer :eek:

Hence the worry about lumens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

ive one of these jackets.. best thing i ever brv52z6j9qti6jwuyw36.jpg

Advertisement