Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ingredient will you not cheap out on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

ellejay wrote: »
    Jinxed myself....bought the usual and all went to mush after five minutes.

Steam your spuds! Once you get used to steaming you will never submerse a spud in water ever again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Steam your spuds! Once you get used to steaming you will never submerse a spud in water ever again!

This.
    I can't understand why everyone doesn't steam their spuds. I haven't boiled a potato in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

L1011 wrote: »
    Ketchup, eggs (although I will buy own brand I won't buy whatever is claimed to have replaced battery) and Irn Bru - the own brand versions are all disgusting

Edit: and milk. Won't use see through cartons - tetrapak was invented for a reason - and won't use NI milk so that means I use Avonmore/Premier as the only remaining option

Can you taste the difference between tetrapak and plastic/see through cartons for milk?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

This.
    I can't understand why everyone doesn't steam their spuds. I haven't boiled a potato in years.

I thought it takes double the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Depends on the type of spud and you can cut big ones in half.

I think I've boiled spuds maybe once or twice in my life and those were baby ones that I was parboiling for a gratin. I actually didn't know people boiled spuds in water until I went to home economics class in secondary school. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

No. A bit longer but nowhere near twice the time. And no potato soup or mush, ever!

....... wrote: »
    Boiled spuds are nicest when they are big floury ones - cant think of the name of the type - anyone?

Golden wonders, maybe?
    Kerrs pinks are pretty floury too.
    So are Records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

No. A bit longer but nowhere near twice the time. And no potato soup or mush, ever!

quite quick if spuds are cut small in even sizes, put into a colander over an empty saucepan and the pour a kettle of boiling water over them and season well with salt and cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Meeeee79 wrote:
    Baked Beans, bachelors all the way!

I agree. Slightly more off topic

Bachelor's beans
    And
    Chef red and brown sauce

The chef tomato sauce and bachelor's beans were lovely

• Advertisement

molly09 wrote:
    For me it would have to be chef ketchup, batchelors beans, tayto cheese and onion crisps and Brennan’s bread

I think our taste buds are cloned.

I no longer mind cheaper cereals. I remember my mother would try dunnes cornflakes in ten 80s we wouldn't touch them.

But for me Chef is the king of Ketchup. I think Heinz separates

I'm a big vinegar fan so that ties in.

Regarding beans the reduced sugar and salt ones from Bachelor's will make it difficult to eat the cheap ones again as they were already too sweet.
    You end up pouring 30 % of the can down the drain anyway as runny sugary sauce.

I'm stopping now . I'm fasting for a procedure at the moment.

This is the wrong thread to catch up on.

I'd eat Tesco's beans now, and their manky crisps and yoyo cola

Hunger is definitely the best sauce.

I'm amazed at how loved Bennan's bread seems to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nothing wrong with boiling spuds. Just place them in when the water is cold to avoid mush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Mayonaise is probably the only thing. I'm sure I'll think of more.

Try Aldi's Mayo in the jar. It's Bramwells I think. I used to be a dyed in the wool Hellmann's man but Aldis is as good but half the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Try Aldi's Mayo in the jar. It's Bramwells I think. I used to be a dyed in the wool Hellmann's man but Aldis is as good but half the price.

I'll agree on that. I get the mayo in the squeezy jar in Aldi and it's every bit as good as Hellmanns.
    Also, I would have been a "Kerrygold or nothing" woman, but Aldi butter is every bit as good.
    I still can't compromise on ketchup though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Kerygold for me. The only one I buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm amazed at how loved Bennan's bread seems to be.
    I am not surprised at all, what brand of bog standard 800g white sliced pan did you think would be "more loved"? -i.e. I guess this is what they all mean, rather than it being the best bread they ever tasted or something.

Years ago Johnston Mooney & O Brien seemed to be closer rivals, but I see far more Brennans on the shelves nowadays. When you hear of gimmicks like tayto crisp sandwich packets it is nearly always brennans bread you hear it being paired with. Seems to be the bread, like heinz ketchup, guinness stout, coca cola, hellmans mayo.

I am surprised that the supermarkets do not give out more samples of their own brand stuff, it would be interesting to get sample packs too, e.g. lidl/aldi should have mixed pack of fun size bars, a few imitation lion, mars, twix etc in the one bag. Maybe they do at halloween.

And brands could do blind tastes, not sure if there is anything to stop them comparing competitor stuff, I remember the whole pepsi taste challenge many years ago (pepsi vs coke)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_Challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Maris piper spuds are heaven when boiled in their jacket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

If it's Wexford floury potatoes, that would be Queens! ;) often see them advertised on the side of the road as Ball of flour from Carne...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,140 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Baked Beans, bachelors all the way!

Aldi's are far nicer imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

dinneenp wrote: »
    Can you taste the difference between tetrapak and plastic/see through cartons for milk?
    Thanks,
    Pa.
    Yup, I can even taste the difference between plastic vs tetrapak in a cup of coffee. (and i will judge you for giving me same).

We insist on tetrapak milk here, whether from the milkman or the supermarket. Huge difference in taste, especially if you drink it neat.

rubadub wrote: »
    I am not surprised at all, what brand of bog standard 800g white sliced pan did you think would be "more loved"? -i.e. I guess this is what they all mean, rather than it being the best bread they ever tasted or something.rl]

My point was that if it's bog standard, why the love of the brand and the willingness to pay a premium for it?

Is it really significantly different to other sliced pans?

Maris piper spuds are heaven when boiled in their jacket

They may be lovely but they're not particularly floury.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    If it's Wexford floury potatoes, that would be Queens! ;) often see them advertised on the side of the road as Ball of flour from Carne...

Yeah, if you're talking about new season floury potato, you're talking about British Queens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

My point was that if it's bog standard, why the love of the brand and the willingness to pay a premium for it?

Is it really significantly different to other sliced pans?

Yes I think there is a huge difference, you are right it’s not the best bread ever but For sliced pans it’s the best I have tasted so far. I try not to eat much bread or especially white bread but when I do Brennan’s tastes the best to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

B0jangles wrote:
    On the Lidl worcestershire sauce: I've been thinking about it and I'm not 100% certain that it was in Lidl - it might have been Aldi. I was shopping in both an unfamiliar Aldi and Lidl that day, so my memory of where in the shop I saw it is not really helping

Definitely not in Lidl, anyway, as I just checked. They did, however, have Lea & Perrins on special!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,140 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Colemans mustard.
    Proper butter.
    Good quality brown bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thanks,
    Pa.

Easily. The transparent milk cartons allow UV to denature certain parts of the milk (I can't be bothered checking up, and I've forgotten). Milk should be stored in opaque containers. Glass blocks more UV than the transparent plastic did but nobody uses glass anymore.

Its often in opaque plastic in the US - but its so bad there in most places I couldn't tell a difference.

Advertisement