Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ingredient will you not cheap out on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Definitely not in Lidl, anyway, as I just checked. They did, however, have Lea & Perrins on special!
    Saw Worcestershire Sauce today in Aldi, Bramwell brand, the same as the ketchup / mayo / salad cream and in the same place, i.e. above the fridges at the back left of the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Birdsong wrote: »
    Flahavans porridge for me. I have tried both the lidl and Aldi versions and they just don't do it for me

The protein element of supermarket versions can be pretty low too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The protein element of supermarket versions can be pretty low too.

:eek: Is porridge not just rolled oats? How can you change protein levels in something so basic? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Flanhavans progress oats 11% protein
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250869159

tesco oats 15.4% protein
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=267449498

oldums 11.2%
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250869516

Strong flour is higher yet still "just wheat"

The tesco one does seem very high but that is what they claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Flahavans is far to small/skinny. Need good thick oats from organic Kavanghs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

RasTa wrote:
    Flahavans is far to small/skinny. Need good thick oats from organic Kavanghs.

Other way round, the jumbo oats are just too much texture. Stick to flahavans, or if I want oatmeal go for the macroom stuff..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeiseDoll

De Cecco Pasta
    Barry's Tea
    Flahavan's Porridge
    Dairygold
    Heinz Ketchup
    Clonakilty Black Pudding
    Meat & poultry has to have the Bord Bia mark

I'm going to try a few of the substitutes mentioned in this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

L1011 wrote: »
    Easily. The transparent milk cartons allow UV to denature certain parts of the milk (I can't be bothered checking up, and I've forgotten). Milk should be stored in opaque containers. Glass blocks more UV than the transparent plastic did but nobody uses glass anymore.

Its often in opaque plastic in the US - but its so bad there in most places I couldn't tell a difference.

Have you ever tested this blind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've also just discovered that the dried pasta(tagliatelle) is far better then the fresh stuff(supermarkets) What is the brand the Italians love?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Meat - I always go to a butcher, only thing I buy in supermarkets is duck fillets.
    Fish - I only go to the local fish shop. Never buy it in supermarkets.
    Stockpots - only use Knorr.
    Mayonnaise only use Hellmans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Kavanagh's oats Aldi, probably Flahavans by any other name, but whatever.

Brennans white sliced pan. I swear they have some ingredient in there that is addictive, like Pringles. The smell of it, mmmmm. And a spread of Kerrygold plus a slice of mature cheddar topped with Tayto cheese and onion crisps. Well now I know what I want for me Christmas dinner. Sorted lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

RasTa wrote: »
    I've also just discovered that the dried pasta(tagliatelle) is far better then the fresh stuff(supermarkets) What is the brand the Italians love?

Is it De Cecco? I dunno, just guessing. Do I win the prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

Heinz Ketchup.
    Heinz Beans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭sudzs

Hellmans mayonaise.

Kerrygold butter, or Avanmore at a push.

Glenisk natural yoghurt - full fat!

Crisps have to be Keoghs or McDonnells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

....... wrote: »

It's been in a brightly lit shop for some time before you got it. So yes.
    Have you ever tested this blind?

Yes. I could smell the plastic muck befor even drinking it, it screws it up that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Chef/Helmanns/Heinz...pshhhh

Kandee all the way ;)

MS722.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Birdsong wrote: »
    Flahavans porridge for me. I have tried both the lidl and Aldi versions and they just don't do it for me

I bought for the first time a pack of Kavanagh's Organic Oats in Alid this month as I forgot to buy the flahavans when I was in Tesco that day. I thought I'd regret it but I though I'd chance it this once as I didn't want to go back to Tesco just for the oats. Turned out I perfer them, nothing cheapo about them whatsoever. Tesco organic oats are lovely too, chunkier flakes which I like to have sometimes for variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tevey08

Mcdonlads curry sauce powder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wow, I always thought that was labeled red sauce.. Cos of the lack of tomatoes...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

....... wrote: »

Your standard cold white fluorescent as used in shops emits sufficient UV.

They will also have been in natural light at various times between the packaging line and the shop shelf.

For the small price difference there is little reason not to use the type of packaging that was specifically designed to deal with this issue - Tetra or clones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Please, Jesus, can we stop talking about milk/cartons/bottles. It's turning this thread into an absolute snore-fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Why don't you set up your own thread about it then?
    This is a thread about ingredients you won't cheap out on. You're actually derailing the thread with the continuous chatter about milk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

Eggs, my own free range hen and duck eggs or nothing. Even before we got the hens I was buying organic free range for years
    Cheese, it has to be local farm made cheese, we have an amazing selection in Ireland.
    I don't eat much shop bread but if I do its Stapleton's slices bread.
    And olive oil, we usually have about 3 types, French, Italian and Greek....all with different flavours and different purposes.
    Wine, only the best of French wines bought in France in vineyards and brought home from holidays.
    Herbal tea, Pukka tea normally or just peppermint picked from the garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note We're done with the milk now lads - let's move on before the entire thread curdles ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tea bags - It has to be Yorkshire Tea
    Eggs - have to be free range

Not for me, but: I don't cheap out on dogfood. I'm not overly loyal to a particular brand, but it has to be cereal free and have named meat as the #1 ingredient.

Advertisement