Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ingredient will you not cheap out on?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No.1 has to be tea for me.

Bought Lidl's own brand once, never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Lidl Deluxe organic porridge is fantastic.
    Barrys Tea
    Lavazza coffee
    Organic milk
    Cadburys Dairymilk
    Free range eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Coffee
    Ketchup - Heinz
    Mayo - Helmans
    Baked Beans - Heinz
    Brown Sauce - HP
    Tea Bags - Lyons or Twinings, although I recently had some Tesco ones which were fine
    Eggs - Free Range, not bothered where from though

On another note, the Tesco Finest tinned whole Cherry Tomatoes are really nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

B0jangles wrote:
    I'm 90% sure aldi do an own-brand hot sauce for wings

Another update: checked these out today and they didn't have anything that seemed like it would even begin to resemble Frank's taste-wise, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Salad cream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Salad cream!

I'm being mildly facetious here and I don't eat either, but is salad cream not already a cheaped-out version of mayonnaise???

That was always my understanding!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm being mildly facetious here and I don't eat either, but is salad cream not already a cheaped-out version of mayonnaise???

They're completely different. Apparently, while mayonnaise is made with raw egg, salad cream is made with cooked egg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Apparently, while mayonnaise is made with raw egg, salad cream is made with cooked egg :)
    I never heard of that before.

Main difference I notice is the salad cream is vinegary and has less oil and is far more runny. I usually have both in the house.

this is heinz salad cream
    Ingredients

Spirit Vinegar, Water, Rapeseed Oil (22%), Sugar, Cornflour, Mustard, Pasteurised Egg Yolks (3%), Salt, Colour - Riboflavin

Heinz Mayo
    Ingredients

Rapeseed Oil 68%, Water, Pasteurized Egg Yolk* 5%, Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Starch, Salt, Mustard Seeds, Spices, Antioxidant (Calcium Disodium EDTA), *From Free Range Eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I'm curious - is there any actual difference between different brands of spices? Paprika, chilli powder etc. I always buy Tesco brand, they're far cheaper than Schwartz. Just wondering does anyone notice a difference in flavor? Personally I don't really notice, but then again I'm a terrible cook :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

rawn wrote: »
    I'm curious - is there any actual difference between different brands of spices? Paprika, chilli powder etc. I always buy Tesco brand, they're far cheaper than Schwartz. Just wondering does anyone notice a difference in flavor? Personally I don't really notice, but then again I'm a terrible cook :o

Freshness would impact these quite a bit, so a brand that would monitor freshness might be actually giving you a better product. I usually buy most of my spices from a Pakistani shop, as I find they just pack more of a punch.
    Also, I remember that a friend once rang Suprevalu to check if their curry powder was gluten free and was told it wasn't. To me, that says it's stretched with something that really should not be in a curry powder mix...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Or Asian food shops, they have amazing spices too. Good value for money.
    I see no difference though between the Schwartz and Tesco ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Dial Hard wrote: »

I've heard it called poor man's mayonnaise alright!!
    David Gower on a quiz show once asked what was salad cream, "poor man's mayonnaise" was the reply!!! - About twenty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I'll use any oil, though that branded 'Crisp n Dry' one that's around years tastes that bit better for chips!

Do go out of my way to buy 'Chef' ketchup if I see a deal, though the Aldi one still does the trick.

I find Aldis food really good quality though

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eurasian

Garlic.
    Also real tasty bread from a bakery, meat, butter (hate spreads, i like real butter, don't mind it being stone-hard in the fridge), juices.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

OK not a food but matches. Lidl matches are crap, and other own brand are pretty crap to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

tringle wrote: »
    OK not a food but matches. Lidl matches are crap, and other own brand are pretty crap to.

Hmmm, I wouldn’t know what brand to buy if I was looking for a good match! Maybe it’s because I don’t smoke anymore so have no real need to buy them - except for the extra long ones for Mrs G!’s candles. Is it still Maguire & Paterson?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Meat and dairy products.

Meat yes. I've had friends tell me Lidl and Aldi stuff is grand, but from my limited experience of trying it I can't agree. Always looks pale and water-enlarged. Exception being Aldi steaks.

Dairy though I'm not as fussy. I know from working in grocery that the same milk is in the own brand bottles as the Avonmore ones, often from the same farms. Cheeses and yoghurts are a different story but for Milk and Cream and bog standard stuff own brand is fine. Lidl and Aldi wouldn't be included when I mention own brand as they seem to source a lot of their dairy from NI.

Advertisement