Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time learner driver insurance

Options
  • 06-10-2017 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Currently looking for my first time insurance on a "learners permit".

I am getting quotes as high as €5400 and the lowest off Boxymo which was €3100. I'm a first time learner driver, live in Dublin and recently bought my first car, 06 Yaris 1.0.

Anybody know any insurance company's that will quote me less???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Welcome to the world of motoring in ireland. 

If you can, add a driver with full no claim bonus (that's 5 years with no claim, means this driver is experienced in the eyes of the insurance industry and is therefore "safe"), as it will bring the premium down.

The only other good advise we can offer is to call every insurer out there and see which one offers you a decent deal. Don't forget to contact brokers as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Shouldn't have bought a high performance car without getting quotes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get test then get insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Shouldn't have bought a high performance car without getting quotes first.
    A one litre Yaris? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Agreed.

Op, this is where the smart money is. The days are gone where it was somewhat financially viable for a young person starting out. You have to get that test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Zadkiel wrote:
    A one litre Yaris?

It's called sarcasm I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Hitman3000 wrote: »

Yes, thank you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

The problem is that the OP already has a car that needs to be insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You bought a car, but don't have a licence and you expect to get insurance?

It might have worked that way 30 years ago, but not these days.

A learner permit is exactly that - a permit to allow you learn. You cannot drive without a qualified driver and that rule is there for a reason.

There are no long delays in getting a test, so get your lessons, get insured as a named driver on someone's car, get in sufficient practice and pass your test.

Then you'll get more reasonable quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

CeilingFly wrote: »

A learner permit is exactly that - a permit to allow you learn. You cannot drive without a qualified driver and that rule is there for a reason.

There are no long delays in getting a test, so get your lessons, get insured as a named driver on someone's car, get in sufficient practice and pass your test.

30 years ago? It was do-able 6 years ago for myself and the wife when we were learning to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Dublin11

Yes I did buy a car? That's how everyone starts off?? We all had a provisional license once and had to learn somewhere

I know my insurance is going to be high that's why I'm asking if anyone reccomend an insurance company that are cheap for first time drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Are you m/f? Age? Itsforwomen will insure if over 21, I've always gotten a great quote from them.

Get your full license and add additional drivers who also have full, clean licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dublin11

andreoilin wrote: »
    Are you m/f? Age? Itsforwomen will insure if over 21, I've always gotten a great quote from them.

Get your full license and add additional drivers who also have full, clean licenses.

Female, 21 thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Dublin11 wrote: »
    Yes I did buy a car? That's how everyone starts off?? We all had a provisional license once and had to learn somewhere

I know my insurance is going to be high that's why I'm asking if anyone reccomend an insurance company that are cheap for first time drivers

That's not how everyone starts off. The most economical route is to get lessons, get named on somebody's car for at least a year, practice, pass test and then buy a small car under 10 years old.

It sounds (I apologise if I'm wrong) that you intend to drive without a qualified driver with you at all times. Insurers will assume this also and charge accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

I'm sure one of the big companies was doing a driving lessons and insurance package for new drivers as my nephew signed up to it. Axa or Aviva or something fairly similar. Certain it was 12 lessons and 6 months insurance on a provisional giving you the opportunity to pass your test within the 6 months........ and it worked out cheaper than anywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hitman3000 wrote: »

Let's have none of those shenagins here...this is a serious forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Limbo123 wrote: »
    I'm sure one of the big companies was doing a driving lessons and insurance package for new drivers as my nephew signed up to it. Axa or Aviva or something fairly similar. Certain it was 12 lessons and 6 months insurance on a provisional giving you the opportunity to pass your test within the 6 months........ and it worked out cheaper than anywhere else

Yes, Aviva €499 13 lessons and 6 months accompanied insurance, which will be my car, seems a good deal, will do this for my son when he is 17 in January, but you do need to have a policy with them i think, but he will not be getting a car until he pass's his test, not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The problem is that the OP already has a car that needs to be insured.

Easily sold or hold on and park it up simples really.

I got quotes when I 1st tried of 6.5k so I didn't obviously buy and even if I had there is no way I could have paid that.

In the end full licence on a 1.0 litre cost €3300

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wouldn't suggest Boxymo or its4women, they're the same company and apparently they're extremely difficult to deal with if you need to call them. What's the point in spending thousands upon thousands for insurance if they don't even answer their phones?

I know AXA do some sort of driving course for under 25s on a provisional. Apparently you get a discount just for showing up to the bloody thing.

Apart from that, add the full licenced driver who will be accompanying you, as a named driver to the policy. If they have a few years of no claims bonus that should discount the policy a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Dublin11 wrote: »

I started driving 30 years ago - I got provisional, got lessons, insured on my brothers car, passed test THEN bought my own car.

Due to cost of insurance (yes, it was VERY expensive back then too), I signed a legal document to state I would not drink any alcohol for the period of first insurance. It cost £1252 - in today's money that's probably about €3500 and that was with full licence

Over the years I find many/most people do the same - get lessons, get insured on a family members car, get practice in, pass the test then buy a car.

Buying a car before even checking insurance quotes and without a licence is not how most people start driving.

A little patience, a few lessons, some practice in a family member's car followed by driving test (doable in 6-8 weeks) will see hundred's come off any quote you get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I did a similar route to you. I bought a car when I got my provisional. Did a lot of shopping around with my insurance and the cheapest was €2600 with Allianz. The insurance cost more than the car but no regrets!
    That was 2 years ago and I would have been a similar age to you.
    As other people mentioned, get a parent with a no claims bonus as a named driver. Check out the insurance company that your parents have their cars with as well as their house insurance with. Some give discounts the more people that are with them.
    Best of luck with the driving and enjoy the car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Where did the OP say they intended to drive without a qualified driver with them? :confused:
    Perhaps they don't have another car they can practise or someone who would be willing to name them on their insurance but can get them to get in and drive with them.
    Back when I was learning and at home with my parents there was one car. If mam was out in that I couldn't go out, whereas when I had my car dad could come out with me in that. There was also then no risk of me bashing up mums car.

I always found Liberty to be the cheapest for me, even when in my mid 20s (30s now and liberty still always cheapest) - you can put named drivers on your insurance also which can help bring it down sometimes providing they have no claims and are driving a long time etc

Advertisement