Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling trapped in job...hate coming to work

Options
  • 06-10-2017 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unregged for this. A bit of background. I have a degree in construction but graduated when the recession hit, so I've never worked in it. I probably would have to go back and do the degree all over again to be honest as I don't remember any of it. I took a CO job in the public sector where I worked in a variety of departments namely HR in a hospital and then in Finance. I excelled in my role in finance and got a promotion to G4

However despite being excellent at my job and enjoying the work, I worked in a very toxic environment with rampant bullying. Also the nature of working in the public sector was so demoralising. Despite working my ass off and taking on extra responsibilities I still get paid the same as the person sitting next to me who spends the day on Facebook. I had also reached a level whereby I couldn't go any further despite being an excellent employee who loved doing their job. There is no career path. I couldn't ask for a pay rise. I couldn't ask for a promotion and there is no scope for a promotion in my department unless someone dies or retires.
    Skip forward to a few months ago. I started going for interviews but coming at the lower end of the panels, so I know it's a skill I need to work at. But I moved sideways into another job. I felt I had no choice but to move as I was going out of my mind feeing trapped....but I hate my new job. I absolutely hate it. It's a role that a CO could do. I'm a glorified PA with no defined tasks or duties. I am sick going every day. I don't know where to turn for my career. My mental health is beginning to suffer as I hate my job so much. I am so upset that I couldn't progress in a job I loved because that's how the public sector operates. I am so demoralised and almost every day it takes a huge amount of energy not to throw in the towel.

Sorry this is more of a way to get this off my chest because I'm not sure of how many people have felt this or how they've overcome it. I'm drained of energy every day because I feel so ill with stress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What aspects of the original job did you like?

How much money do you need to survive every month?

What do you want to work as?

Do you live in a rural or urban location?

Have you contacted a recruitment company?

You need to make a decision, weight up your options and find the best solution.

A decision is best made without emotion, can you talk this over with someone subjective?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

You are not trapped - you have a degree, experience and skills.

Do you want to work in the construction sector? Start applying - no, you don't need to redo your degree, nobody does that :-). Or apply in finance sector. Or brush up on interview skills, do mock interviews with friends, read up, prepare really well and keep at it. Brush up the CV, get it reviewed by knowledgeable friends, get a LinkedIn profile, check out job sites. Can you ask for secondment somewhere?

You have lots of options, you don't have to stay in a job you hate. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. The only way to not feel trapped is to start acting to change the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Civeng

As you originally were interested in construction start there. You can do a 2 or 3 day course in setting out ...use of theodolite etc, and you have a marketable construction skill to add to your other skills. Then you need to start phoning contractors, explain your situation and that you want to resume ur construction career.....record the name and number of everyone you speak to and if they cannot offer you a few weeks of work experience ask them if they know someone who can. Call everyone back in a few weeks and you will most probably be offered something. Once you get your foot in the door the rest is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Have you applied for the civil service?

There is due to be another EO comp at the end of the year. There are also smaller competitions on publicjobs all the time, apply for some of them.

The civil service have a new mobility programme so even if you get something you don't like again, you can request to move.

I'm not familiar with the public service, but can't you request to move to up your skill set? Or a secondment?

I hate my current role but know that if I stick it out for the year, my department will more than likely move me to a different section if I set out a reasonable case for it (no people management in my current role).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

If you're in the PS I wouldn't think you're stuck (somewhat depending on what part of the Country you're in)

You have the option of doing an EOI - grade to grade transfer to another dept.
    A promotion to another dept
    Secondment to different PS agency or dept
    Transfer or apply to National HR

There are plenty of moves to make within the PS - even towards something in the Construction field in the Estates dept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Hey I am public sector aswell and you are not stuck.

Apply for another sideways move if possible
    Lots of competitions going in the Civil Service at present and more are upcoming
    Career break and take some time working in the private sector
    Job share and discover other oppertunities

Unfortunately public sector doesnt recognise hard work. as you said you can work with or even for other staff who do nothing and be paid much less than them. Its your own drive that keeps you going

Lots of my fellow colleagues and myself included feel like that and it is a common feeling among public sector workers...i.e. there is no incentive to actually do anything.Unfortunately there is no progression either - l also have reached a level and salary that will go no further. No salary increases ever for me.

But you are definitely not trapped

I would speak with your manager and request a job description. Also if you are in a Union maybe have a word with your rep.

Definitely a common feeling in the public sector - trust me. I have worked in the private sector and while I love the security of the public sector the lack of progression/lack of acknowledgement of hard work and lack of incentives for anything is demoralising

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Hey I am public sector aswell and you are not stuck.

Definitely a common feeling in the public sector - trust me. I have worked in the private sector and while I love the security of the public sector the lack of progression/lack of acknowledgement of hard work and lack of incentives for anything is demoralising

Lack of progression and acknowledgment of hard work is definitely not exclusive to the public sector you know, there are lots of private sector jobs like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

oh yeah - I left one permanent private sector job after 9 months for such a reason.

Unfortunately like many private sector places probably my own public sector has no real HR department. We have a HR department who play no role in anything HR related.

There are opportunities out there within the public sector but sometimes they can be hard to find

Advertisement