Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

And now Chris Hardwick is accused of emotional and sexual abuse as well as rape.

https://medium.com/@skydart/rose-colored-glasses-6be0594970ca

I saw him one night on @Midnight-could never understand my uneasiness about the guy-he was trying too hard to be likable. I guess this answers it.

(Another guy who claimed to be a feminist, too)
    Our relationship started out poorly. Within 2 weeks, rules were quickly established. Some of these included:

I “should not want to go somewhere at night”. My nights were expected to be reserved for him, as he had a busy schedule. This alienated me from my friends.
    I was to not have close male friends unless we worked together. All photos of male friends were to be removed from my apartment. This was heartbreaking for me, as my best friend happened to be male.
    As he was sober, I was not to drink alcohol. Before we began dating he said, “I noticed you have a glass of wine with dinner. That’s going to stop.”
    I was not to speak in public places (elevators, cars with drivers, restaurants where tables were too close) as he believed that people recognized him and were listening to our conversations. Our dinners out were usually silent, him on his phone.
    I wasn’t allowed to take a photo of us. (Eventually, he softened on this rule, but was very stern about me asking permission.)
    These were just a few of them. And I made the choice to accept his controlling behavior, as he’d just left his long-term girlfriend and I assumed that he was going through some serious emotional discomfort. This was a huge mistake.

I don't understand why she would stay with him if they'd only been going out together 2 weeks and he started talking about these rules :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't understand why she would stay with him if they'd only been going out together 2 weeks and he started talking about these rules :confused::confused:

She, by her own admission, has/ had daddy issues.

Her dad is John Dykstra, the two-time Oscar winning Special Effects artist who worked on the original Star Wars films, the Sam Raimi Spider-man movies, as well as more recent movies like Ghost in the Shell, and Kong Skull Island.

I imagine he wasn't home a lot, so she developed a need for a 'father figure/ boyfriend'.
    Pretty girl-just not that strong mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

CatFromHue wrote: »

Is yer man famous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Think it's more that he used a position of power to get sex from up and coming actresses. A lot of what he did is comparable to Weinstein, sex in exchange for career progression.

He has a reputation of being **** toward women, his treatment of Charisma Carpenter when she got pregnant for example.
    Is it not normal to use your position to get laid?

Bambi wrote: »
    Is yer man famous?

Founder of Nerdist, often did tv shows, and had acting roles in a number of films, including Lego Batman.

Has a large media empire-online, websites, tv shows etc. A number of his writers are already leaving.

Not when you're dating and/ or in a relationship. Also not normal to blame the patriarchy either.

Especially with children involved too.
    One thing being a silly **** towards an actress who became pregnant and another to say he used his position to coerce sex. One is far more graver than the other.

Whedon's ex made the accusations but the key thing is that as far as I'm aware, no one has come out to back up her claims.....and it's not like there's a shortage of actresses that have worked with him.

I sincerely doubt an actress will come forward to admit they slept their way to a career-but you only have to look at how many actresses he worked with who faded into oblivion after working with him to make you question how they 'got ahead'. He gave Carpenter a ton of crap for posing for Playboy as well.

The language he used afterwards was described as 'predatory' for want of a better word. Similar to Weinstein, and similar to Trump...

No surprise he was 'pushed' off of Batgirl- his 'woke bae' attitude wasn't enough to get fans not to want him on the film, and his fansite shutdown too.

• Advertisement

Not when there is an implication that in order to secure a better part you need to sleep with someone. Using a position of power to leverage sex in exchange for work is not acceptable, imagine a Dunne's manager making a staff member have sex with them in order to get a better work shift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yes that story surfaced 2 days ago and then lo and behold the next day it's in the news that Spacey has had more allegations made against him in the UK. Hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Looks like everybody's favourite feminist Politician "Peoplekind" Trudeau could be in trouble.

Allegedly groped a female reporter at an event back in 2000.

As the Vice article says, he fired two liberal MPs that were accused of Sexual Misconduct.

Will he step down? Will he like f.....

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/evkjba/justin-trudeau-has-little-to-say-about-the-allegation-that-he-groped-a-reporter

Looks like everybody's favourite feminist Politician "Peoplekind" Trudeau could be in trouble.

Allegedly groped a female reporter at an event back in 2000.

As the Vice article says, he fired two liberal MPs that were accused of Sexual Misconduct.

Will he step down? Will he like f.....

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/evkjba/justin-trudeau-has-little-to-say-about-the-allegation-that-he-groped-a-reporter

Only comments I saw were 'oh look, his look was so early 2000s'...ugh.

Nothing about the woman, etc. Never trust a feminist, they'll cave in on their 'ideals' pretty quickly.
    Trudeau, Dunham, Whedon, Scarlett Johanssen etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

anewme wrote: »
    I have no idea who this person is, but I googled him this evening and I came to the same conclusion. He looks the exact same as HW.

Definitely not good looking in any way. interesting he has a 19 year old girlfriend training to break into the industry.

Hmmmmm

First I heard of him as well but yeah he's the head off of him. Same horrible pockmarked skin and creepy eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Only comments I saw were 'oh look, his look was so early 2000s'...ugh.

Nothing about the woman, etc. Never trust a feminist, they'll cave in on their 'ideals' pretty quickly.
    Trudeau, Dunham, Whedon, Scarlett Johanssen etc etc.

Never trust a man that openly and repeatedly calls themselves a Male Feminist.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not one bit surprised.

Never trust a man that openly and repeatedly calls themselves a Male Feminist.

It's why I never trust feminists-end of. No gender rules, just blanket non-trust.

Case in Point-Lena Dunham's siding with many alleged rapists against their victims, Jennifer Lawrence crying 'I'm a feminist...' then she does a movie that was summed up as 'Jennifer Lawrence goes to whore school to learn to become a whore', or Taylor Swift's hiding behind feminism while she bullies women with her songs.

What a nonsense argument, you don't trust Jennifer Lawrence because she starred in a film about a Russian spy and somehow think that her taking an interesting role is her betraying her beliefs.

What a nonsense argument, you don't trust Jennifer Lawrence because she starred in a film about a Russian spy and somehow think that her taking an interesting role is her betraying her beliefs.

The film was about as interesting as a dose of nappy rash. It was her lame attempts to justify the film, as well as a very revealing dress, that made me go 'yeah, she's not trying to appeal to a non-audience'.

The film was about as interesting as a dose of nappy rash. It was her lame attempts to justify the film, as well as a very revealing dress, that made me go 'yeah, she's not trying to appeal to a non-audience'.

For what it was it's decent enough fare but I don't see how her starring in it in any way contradicts her beliefs. I don't even like Lawrence and find her very fake but if you start judging an actor by the roles they take than it gets tricky. Would you be happier if she wore a giant coat to cover her figure and started to appeal to people who have no interest in her or her films, would that make her more or less of a feminist?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

https://usa.spectator.co.uk/2018/07/harvey-weinstein-i-offered-acting-jobs-in-exchange-for-sex-but-so-does-everyone-they-still-do/
    You were born rich and privileged and you were handsome. I was born poor, ugly, Jewish and had to fight all my life to get somewhere. You got lotsa girls, no girl looked at me until I made it big in Hollywood. Yes, I did offer them acting jobs in exchange for sex, but so did and still does everyone.

Weinstein is a product of society. He became a bigwig in Hollywood and suddenly noticed women approaching him, he realised he had a posiiton of power over women and abused it but it was women who gave him this sense of power. It is what it is.

shakeitoff wrote: »
    https://usa.spectator.co.uk/2018/07/harvey-weinstein-i-offered-acting-jobs-in-exchange-for-sex-but-so-does-everyone-they-still-do/

Weinstein is a product of society. He became a bigwig in Hollywood and suddenly noticed women approaching him, he realised he had a posiiton of power over women and abused it but it was women who gave him this sense of power. It is what it is.

Yes and no-he got that sense of power, for sure, but along the way the power corrupted him. If two consenting adults go at it, fine, whatever-if they're in relationships with other people, it makes em scummy, for sure.

But the allegations against Weinstein go beyond 'acting jobs for sex'...we're talking rape, violating someone's body, no consent at all given.

But I also think many within the 'movement' used it to boost their own profiles. Rose McGowan was taking another payment, and is now trying to play the 'feminist' angle.
    Asia Argento's boyfriend, Anthony Bourdain, took his own life-did Argento herself do anything to help him while he stood by her? Doubtful.

Look at the rage when Henry Cavill said he fears being called a rapist and folks went apespit over that. He's got a high profile, he's getting acting gigs. He knows that one false accusation can kill his career.
    And yet he's the one being demonised.

No wonder aliens don't want to come near us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He says Harvey reached out to him and all he has are two quotes? Strange. You'd expect one hell of a long piece from any journo giving a one to one with Harvey right now. A million questions to put to him, even if he may not answer some and skirt around others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

So what if she wears a dress that you consider too revealing? It doesn't negate her views and it's a pretty silly thing to use against her.

Weinstein is the man who was in a position of power and abused that power. Is accused of attempted rapes etc and blacklisted those that resisted him. But you're blaming the women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jared Leto called out for liking them young by Dylan Sprouse and James Gunn

Looks like karma came calling for Jim.....

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1020408604191592449

Hard to feel he's been harshly treated given that he felt it was just fine for Roseanne to be fired recently enough.

Dilj5HJVAAAC6Av.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

She was fired as an immediate reaction to an offensive comment made against another specific person.

Gunn was fired retroactively for decade old, terrible-taste jokes - not that surprisingly either, considering his entire film background is based in utter bad-taste schlock (like working with Troma).

They're hardly directly comparable. I do think Gunn's gotten a very raw deal here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Sand

She was fired as an immediate reaction to an offensive comment made against another specific person.

Gunn was fired retroactively for decade old, terrible-taste jokes - not that surprisingly either, considering his entire film background is based in utter bad-taste schlock (like working with Troma).

They're hardly directly comparable. I do think Gunn's gotten a very raw deal here.

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas. Gunn happily encouraged a new wave of puritanism sweeping the US. I don't have sympathy when he falls victim to the mob he whipped up and sent after others.

Hard to feel sympathy for him, when he was acting like a 'moral guardian'. These tweets were from a period of three years, 2008 to 2011, and some are heinous. People said he apologised for em, but he kept making the same disturbing jokes over the course of three years.

Roseanne got fired for one despicable tweet-he had several...you cannot claim to have a moral conscience and then say stupid s**t like this.

Al Franken condemned Trump for his 'grab em by the 'genital's' comment-then he was photographed groping a sleeping model. :rolleyes:
    Looks like karma came calling for Jim.....

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1020408604191592449

Hard to feel he's been harshly treated given that he felt it was just fine for Roseanne to be fired recently enough.

Dilj5HJVAAAC6Av.jpg

Yeah, he was a dope. He made allegations against Jared Leto without evidence. Then someone finds tons of evidence showing him to have a p**s-poor morality, and suddenly he's the victim.

I found this article pretty interesting. Seems Hollywood sowed the seeds of their own fall from grace.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/dave-bautista-guardians-of-the-galaxy-james-gunn-amy-powell-1202430859/

Words can get you fired, so of course many are trying to find offensive tweets now, in case of firing.

Looks like Dan Harmon, creator of Community and Rick and Morty, is up next.

(No offensive material shown, but there is a video-and that's not linked in this tweet).

https://twitter.com/MargaretsBelly/status/1021161737809260546

Oh ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/09/casey-affleck-me-too-interview

The actor also discussed his own role in the #MeToo movement, and how he feels it’s best for him to contribute. “In this business women have been underrepresented and underpaid and objectified and diminished and humiliated and belittled in a bazillion ways and just generally had a mountain of grief thrown at them forever,” he said. “And I know just enough to know that in general I need to keep my mouth shut and listen and try to figure out what’s going on and be a supporter and a follower in the little, teeny tiny ways that I can.”

https://hosted.ap.org/bendbulletin/article/e50db6e255364f7da01412a6734a3685/qa-casey-affleck-new-film-his-oscars-absence-and-metoo

• Advertisement

Welp, turns out Asia Argento paid a 17 year old almost 400 thousand dollars in a settlement after an alleged encounter.

So a possible hypocrite within the Metoo movement? Wouldn't be the first one.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/asia-argento-settlement-reactions-1202909880/

Advertisement