Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

http://www.dailyedge.ie/rose-mcgowan-released-a-statement-cutting-all-ties-from-asia-argento-following-recent-allegations-4205345-Aug2018/

I loathe McGowan anyway - two faced mare - but even she has seen that Argento sort is a complete paedophile.

More like a case of rats deserting a sinking ship.

So... McGowan knew about this behaviour going on for about ten years, and kept quiet?
    This isn't cutting ties-this is protecting herself. The messages were sent to McGowan's current partner. The 'nudes' started when the kid was 12, he's now 22.

Chr!$t, these people are freaking sick.

Mcgowan only became friends with her at the start of the metoo gig so I don't think she knew about it that long. I consider Mcgowan an opportunist scumbag but I just don't see how she would know about this stuff back then. It's not like these two D listers would run in the same circles.

So did Rose McGowan leak all the text's messages to the press or did her partner do it?

If she knew before this well before it was leaked by the press did she inform the proper authorities?

If she went to the press and didn't go to the proper authorities then is she compliant in some sort of cover up?

The three of them it seems, got super pally pally when the guy Agento was with killed himself after news of her having an affair came out. Once the Bennet accusations came out it got her confiding to her new besties about screwing the kid. Mcgowan claims she and her partner went to the cops with the info when they found out but I'd take that with a huge grain of salt.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Twitter is Roses proper authorities.

More room in the spotlight for Rosie!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Chr!$t, these people are freaking sick.
    They live in their own weird bubble that's for damned sure. Reading the McGowan wan's statement, it was pretty unequivocal in condemning this Asia person, so fair enough, but man they live in LaLa land. McGowan's girl/boy/whateeeevsfriend "Rain Dove" - which is on the LaLa spectrum already, is referred to her as a "being" she's been dating. Then she studiously avoids all references to her/his/their/the Being's™ gender and refers to people she/he/they/the being™ helped as "entities". Woooooooooooooo

TheHollyweirdTimes.png

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Wibbs wrote: »
    They live in their own weird bubble that's for damned sure. Reading the McGowan wan's statement, it was pretty unequivocal in condemning this Asia person, so fair enough, but man they live in LaLa land. McGowan's boyfriend "Rain Dove" - which is on the LaLa spectrum already, is referred to her as a "being" she's been dating. Then she studiously avoids all references to his/their/the Being's™ gender and refers to people he/they/the being™ helped as "entities". Woooooooooooooo

TheHollyweirdTimes.png

I just give up!!!! Loons the f**king lot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,033 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

TLDR; fakes, hypocrites and attention seekers are sabotaging the credibility of real victims. All done on an accusation-based platform rather than one based on due-process

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    TLDR; fakes, hypocrites and attention seekers are sabotaging the credibility of real victims. All done on an accusation-based platform rather than one based on due-process

You could almost think it's just a springboard for washed-up actors to get some publicity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Rain Dove is a woman who looks like a dude, and models as both.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/28/rose-mcgowan-shares-park-pda-non-binary-model-rain-dove-romance-confirmed-7771331/

Tbh, this whole 'relationship' with McGowan screams of 'showmance' not 'romance'. Both trying to push their careers, but literally nothing happening in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/28/rose-mcgowan-shares-park-pda-non-binary-model-rain-dove-romance-confirmed-7771331/

Tbh, this whole 'relationship' with McGowan screams of 'showmance' not 'romance'. Both trying to push their careers, but literally nothing happening in their lives.

When did Rose become Lesbian? Amazed she hasn't had a big movie since this came out. Guess too busy on twitter to act anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Just my own opinion but having deserved Rose I don't think she's in any condition to act right now.

What are you basing this on?

What are you basing this on?

Some photos show em together-and it's more like 'friend' than it is relationship.
    It's different to photos of her in relationships.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    When did Rose become Lesbian? Amazed she hasn't had a big movie since this came out. Guess too busy on twitter to act anymore.

Doesn't sound like she is-it's more for attention, and less so relationship, imo.

Rose career went downhill faster than a greased up grandpa. After she did Deathproof and Planet Terror, both of which lost money, and an abandoned Red Sonya movie that her then boyfriend Robert Rodriguez wanted to make didn't get off the ground. Then her scenes in Machete (also Rodriguez directing) got cut from the final movie. Robert and her broke up, she went back to TV and some voice roles.

In the interim, she had a serious car accident, and messed up her face. (I have a suspicion she may have picked up a brain injury too, based on her behaviour). Cue some bad plastic surgery, and she no longer looks like she used to. She's had some small voice roles in video games, and comic book tv shows (despite saying she 'quit acting' because its all comic books...:rolleyes:).
    But nothing was happening in 2017. Until the 'luck' of the Weinstein thing getting out.

Since then, the last thing she was seen in was a hacked sex tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

She identifies as Non-Binary.

Ok I’m officially old cause I haven’t haven’t a clue anymore.

She identifies as Non-Binary.

Ok I’m officially old cause I haven’t haven’t a clue anymore.

Non-binary is just 'tomboy'...but demanding recognition by society, such as exclusive toilets.

I'd just call her 'a 40 something year old woman who's having a mid-life crisis and want's everyone to pay attention'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Non-binary is just 'tomboy'...but demanding recognition by society, such as exclusive toilets.

I'd just call her 'a 40 something year old woman who's having a mid-life crisis and want's everyone to pay attention'.

Aka, a career move

Ipso wrote: »
    Aka, a career move

Is it tho? A career move is more a reinvention for a long term success. Like when Taylor Swift went from Country to Pop, or David Bowie stopped being Ziggy Stardust, and even dipped his toe into acting.
    Or when Ben Affleck stepped behind the camera to direct.

Mcgowan isn't reinventing herself-she's playing victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Is it tho? A career move is more a reinvention for a long term success. Like when Taylor Swift went from Country to Pop, or David Bowie stopped being Ziggy Stardust, and even dipped his toe into acting.
    Or when Ben Affleck stepped behind the camera to direct.

Mcgowan isn't reinventing herself-she's playing victim.

A victim who took a pay off and kept quiet and as a result of said pay off should not be allowed to play victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Wibbs wrote: »
    They live in their own weird bubble that's for damned sure. Reading the McGowan wan's statement, it was pretty unequivocal in condemning this Asia person, so fair enough, but man they live in LaLa land. McGowan's girl/boy/whateeeevsfriend "Rain Dove" - which is on the LaLa spectrum already, is referred to her as a "being" she's been dating. Then she studiously avoids all references to her/his/their/the Being's™ gender and refers to people she/he/they/the being™ helped as "entities". Woooooooooooooo

Sorry how does that illegitimise the abuse she's suffered?

And now Gerard Depardieu stands accused of rape.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/gerard-depardieu-rape-1202921983/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Sorry how does that illegitimise the abuse she's suffered?
    Where did I say it did? Merely pointing out the remove from average people's lives that she inhabits.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

And now Gerard Depardieu stands accused of rape.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/gerard-depardieu-rape-1202921983/

Apparently raped "on both 7 and 13 August".

I imagine we're not allowed to question why you would return to the company of someone who raped you in the previous week ?

Smells a tad fishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Oh eh, the being that is "Rain Dove" has said that he/they apparently made a mistake about Asia receiving nude pics of Bennett when he was just 12.

Yeah, good luck putting that toothpaste back in the tube.

• Advertisement

Oh eh, the being that is "Rain Dove" has said that he/they apparently made a mistake about Asia receiving nude pics of Bennett when he was just 12.

Yeah, good luck putting that toothpaste back in the tube.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Rain Dove is not his/her/it's given name!

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Rain Dove is not his/her/it's given name!

'Rain Dove Dubelewski' is her given name.
    During their final year in high school, Dove intentionally became homeless as a social experiment to "document how homelessness affected my academics".[10] It was after this event that Dove became more involved in activism and politics: they reported on being interested in working for the United Nations prior to a career in fashion: "I wanted to work for the U.N. (United Nations) ... I would have applied at the U.N. and would have probably been working in some third world country, or a country that has water rights issues. Gender would be the least of my worries."[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_Dove

'Rain Dove Dubelewski' is her given name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_Dove

I stand corrected!

A) Hippy parents and b) that Wikipedia page is terrifying!! Who lives like that ?? Who thinks like that ???

Seems Olivia Munn is suffering for outing The Director's best friend as a convicted sex offender.
    She discovered this because he filmed a scene with her in The Predator, ironically playing a guy who keeps hitting on her and not taking the hint to get lost...yikes.

Shane Black has a habit of casting this same friend, even in movies like Iron Man 3.

https://people.com/movies/sterling-k-brown-supports-olivia-munn-predator-casting-registered-sex-offender/

(The guy was convicted for trying to set up a relationship, online, with a 14 year old girl).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Seems Olivia Munn is suffering for outing The Director's best friend as a convicted sex offender.
    She discovered this because he filmed a scene with her in The Predator, ironically playing a guy who keeps hitting on her and not taking the hint to get lost...yikes.

Shane Black has a habit of casting this same friend, even in movies like Iron Man 3.

https://people.com/movies/sterling-k-brown-supports-olivia-munn-predator-casting-registered-sex-offender/

(The guy was convicted for trying to set up a relationship, online, with a 14 year old girl).

That's an interesting one. The guy was convicted, served prison time. Should he continue to be punished for his crimes? I'm surprised nobody copped the situation quicker and he even got the job.

That's an interesting one. The guy was convicted, served prison time. Should he continue to be punished for his crimes? I'm surprised nobody copped the situation quicker and he even got the job.

Well, he's a friend of the director's, so the blame rests on his shoulders. Claiming he 'didn't know' sounds fishy to me. Criminal records are often looked into (for insurance purposes, for example. Robert Downey Jr was so uninsurable when Mel Gibson hired him for Singing Detective, Gibson paid the insurance himself. So that the studio wouldn't lose out). Alex Salva, because of his sex abuse crimes, isn't allowed work with minors on his films. Not without a supervisor on set, at least. (Hence why there are no children in his movies).

Also, as a registered sex offender-and noting that his 'prey' was 14 year old girls, it's quite disturbing to note there were a number of young girls who worked on Iron Man 3, like teen girls. Possibly similar happened on The Predator. That's pretty messed up.
    Also, as a registered sex-offender, he notably violated his parole by being around minors.

So, yeah-he's got to continue to serve his time. That's sort of the punishment you get when you break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just seeing this video which Sky News have been running all day (from around seven years back) of Harvey in a business meeting with a woman in an NY hotel that he is alleged to have raped a few hours later............... curious what others think of it:

https://news.sky.com/story/world-exclusive-video-shows-harvey-weinstein-behaving-inappropriately-with-businesswoman-11496038

I get that she was pitching a product and so she'd understandably be reluctant to be rude to Weinstein but there was numerous opportunities (which Harvey himself seemed in fact to give her) for her to decline his advances without losing face and/or create hostility. Instead though, she did the opposite and gave clear signs that she was not wholly opposed to his advances.

She says she felt his offer to meet her for a drink later on was purely business related but come on, he has just had his hand up her skirt, how naive is she that after that he just wants to meet to discuss business.

Harvey is clearly a sleaze bag who abused his position of power to try get laid, as often as he could, there's no question about that, but yet again we're not seeing much to support the accusations that he raped any of these women, beyond that is, the allegations themselves.

What they don't seem to go into here and what I'd like to know is what happened after this alleged rape. Did she have many more meetings with him. Did they continue to work together. And the biggest question of all wasn't even put to her (in this interview at least): why didn't she report the rape.

If the answer to that is in line with the others, that they felt it would jeopardize their working relationship with him, well then that attitude is as much part of the problem as anything else.

Just seeing this video which Sky News have been running all day (from around seven years back) of Harvey in a business meeting with a woman in an NY hotel that he is alleged to have raped a few hours later............... curious what others think of it:

https://news.sky.com/story/world-exclusive-video-shows-harvey-weinstein-behaving-inappropriately-with-businesswoman-11496038

I get that she was pitching a product and so she'd understandably be reluctant to be rude to Weinstein but there was numerous opportunities (which Harvey himself seemed in fact to give her) for her to decline his advances without losing face and/or create hostility. Instead though, she did the opposite and gave clear signs that she was not wholly opposed to his advances.

She says she felt his offer to meet her for a drink later on was purely business related but come on, he has just had his hand up her skirt, how naive is she that after that he just wants to meet to discuss business.

Harvey is clearly a sleaze bag who abused his position of power to try get laid, as often as he could, there's no question about that, but yet again we're not seeing much to support the accusations that he raped any of these women, beyond that is, the allegations themselves.

What they don't seem to go into here and what I'd like to know is what happened after this alleged rape. Did she have many more meetings with him. Did they continue to work together. And the biggest question of all wasn't even put to her (in this interview at least): why didn't she report the rape.

If the answer to that is in line with the others, that they felt it would jeopardize their working relationship with him, well then that attitude is as much part of the problem as anything else.

Who brought the camera, btw?

An interesting part of the Weinstein accusations is how they try to portray 'hitting on women' as assault. Uh, no. That's putting you in an awkward situation, but awkward situations are anything from not having change at the till, to having to deal with someone hitting on you while you're in a relationship.

I think conflating the two only dilutes the trauma of those he assaulted. The Lysette Anthony and Annabella Sciorra.

There's a constant 'dodging the hard questions' that I think does more harm than good. Ask them. Ask the hard questions, regarding why they didn't report and so on.
    And ask why they took money to stay quiet, and potentially allow it to happen again, and again, and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Is your point that abuse by a person in a position of power leads victims to behave differently than how you’d think? Because I think that’s a common thing. Whether it’s domestic violence victims, clerical abuse victims or Weinstein victims, it’s common that victims don’t report abuse.

What is your point exactly?

Advertisement