Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

In Pitt's case at least, he may have a very good reason for keeping quiet. Pitt was, according to some reports, dating his 15 year Dallas co-star Shalane McCaul when Pitt was 24 years old. I'm sure Weinstein could have framed that news story in a very, very negative way if he wanted...

https://www.google.ie/search?q=lipstick+alley+shalene+mccaul&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjPkcXXu_jWAhUFB8AKHWGiAHcQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=590#imgrc=NETv4gczoIR9EM:

Pitt also allegedly starting dating Juliette Lewis when she as 16. They definitely went public when she turned 18:

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/brad-pitt-at-26-with-his-underaged-teen-girlfriends.577453/

I'll bet Weinstein was running a sort of J. Edgar Hoover scheme on all of Hollywood, with the approval of even more powerful people. Information is the greatest commodity going.
    Get dirt on everyone, and manipulate your way from there. A very straightforward strategy, when you think about it from a strictly rational point of view.
    Morally repugnant, of course.

That happened a lot in Hollywood, quite a lot in the 90s when the internet was not a thing. R Kelly dated a 15 yr old Aaliyah, even illegally marrying her. (Her parents didn't know-when they found out, they had it annulled) And it ultimately damaged her career, too.

Jerry Seinfeld was pushing 40 when he was dating a 16/ 17 yr old. Nobody batted an eye.
    And that's not even mentioning how one of the Jenners was a minor dating an older guy.

Ted Nugent adopted a minor so he could have sex with her-she was 16 or 17, I think. (The guy is a serious piece of crap).

Let's not go around thinking Hollywood is some moral epicenter-they're all equally sick in some way.
    Times change. Its not that long ago, everyone thought it funny to laugh at a homosexual paedophile at work. Many still do.

That's still funny-it's satire. The joke is the creepy 'open secret' element of it, to name a few reasons why the joke works.

Let's not forget, the movie also has this joke.

. The jokes are still funny. Get over it. It's why people quote the movie over 30 yrs later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Shirley you can't talk about dating children without mentioning Elvis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Billy86 wrote: »

And Jerry-Lee Lewis

Or Charlie Chaplin, or Joseph McCarthy (the communist witch hunt guy), or Errol Flynn (young girls, and supposedly men too).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

why do you guys feel the need to point out with youtube videos and all the likes it was accepted to have sex with underage teens, or even with children and laugh about homosexuals not long ago?? what's the point? I think everybody knows this

we live now, and this things in Hollywood happen now and are now criminal acts and not accepted. I can't see anything else in the lasts posts than an underlying urge to excuse what is happening in Hollywood and elsewhere in the world.
    but we most definetely don't need excuses anymore or what was the 'norm' only a few decades ago. who's interested living in the past.

stand up to change things now instead of posting this crap. And I think they are not funny at all, the opposite, stupid jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I can't believe everyone missed that reference… and don't call me Shirley.

I can't believe everyone missed that reference… and don't call me Shirley.

About fecking time!!

I was pretty disappointed that Francis Ford Coppola's Production company produced both his Jeepers Creepers movies.

The movies where the camera seems to linger on teenage boys running around with no tops on.....

There's a similar scene in the movie Powder-the characters, bizarrely and in some form of revenge, strip the protagonist naked. It makes no sense...until you discover the director's history (It's also Victor Salvas). (Also has a lot of scenes in a shower, involving 'twinks'-what is it with paedos and shower scenes?).

Someone noted ( I can't find the post, it's on here tho) how McGowan seems angry that her looks faded and so did her career...well, yes and no. Probably. I mean, she did 'play the game of Hollywood'. Seemed grateful to hang on to Robert Rodriguez when he was helping her career (Nobody else would hire her for Deathproof-she was starring in Charmed round then, so that was odd at the time. Rodriguez leaving his wife and kids for her didn't help either's image) and they split round the time his planned Red Sonja movie didn't happen (she wasn't bankable, Deathproof flopped despite having Tarantino on board. Robert's Sin City cred was quickly evaporating).
    Allegedy most studios laughed at Robert when he was like 'I wanna cast my Girlfriend, Rose, in the lead-and I want 70-75 million budget. Movie never got past a concept poster.
    Also, she was involved in a car accident which meant extensive plastic surgery. A broken nose and injured lip, to name a few injuries. That probably had a Jennifer Grey effect-ie 'she didn't look like she did'.

A number of gymnasts have come forward to alleged molestation or rape during the Olympics.
    One of whom is McKayla Maroney. Happened often, too, including the night before her Silver medal and iconic 'Mckayla's not impressed' image. Adds a dark undertone to that photo.
    But what is disturbing to me with her case (and a russian olympian too) is they name their abuser. I'm uneasy with viglilanteism.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/18/mckayla-maroney-says-usa-gymnastics-team-doctor-began-molesting-her-at-the-age-of-13/?tid=hybrid_collaborative_1_na&utm_term=.19805bdbc475

This one-I find the story heartbreaking, but I also find Tatiana Gutsu's revealing her rapist to be one I cannot agree with. Maybe she wishes to call out other survivors of another possible rape?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/17/former-soviet-gymnast-tatiana-gutsu-accuses-fellow-olympic-gold-medalist-of-rape/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.49b2078733d0

And this is a well written article that notes the #metoo hashtag is very risky scaremongering. Yes, it's a woman writer.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/metoo-a-moral-panic-about-men/20432#.Wedyn9QrJnI

It's Amanda Brunker-if anyone did/didn't do anything based on something she said, the country would be screwed.
    And again, she wasn't sexually assaulted-it was some guy chancing his arm. But she's a writer, she could be making it up.

Using that logic - the people coming forward are actors. Surely they could be acting about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't like Amanda Brunker that much, but surely the way people are reacting to her would stop anybody from coming out over sexual assaults?

I just think she had plenty time before now to come out and share her story, why now and she didn't name and shame the person either, maybe I just think she is cynical and a hypocrite given her previous comments

And Jerry-Lee Lewis

or Brigitte Macron,France...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Times change. Its not that long ago, everyone thought it funny to laugh at a homosexual paedophile at work. Many still do.

What was the Clint Eastwood movie where his character raped a woman by more or less walking up to her and dragging her into a barn?
    High Plains Drifter or Hang 'em High

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ipso wrote: »
    What was the Clint Eastwood movie where his character raped a woman by more or less walking up to her and dragging her into a barn?
    High Plains Drifter or Hang 'em High

High Plains Drifter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

High Plains Drifter

Eastwood's character is not meant to be a hero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I know ad it's a while since I seen it but thinking of it, it just doesn't sit very well now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The jokes are still funny. Get over it. It's why people quote the movie over 30 yrs later.

Sure it is. The same way there were still people telling Weinstein 'Wow, you sure know how to get your way with the starlets - respect man', 'Dont go too hard on her!', 'Lets hear it for Hollywood's number one player', 'Harvey old pal, you really are incorrigible - if only I were as powerful in this town as you are', etc, etc.
    Its simply the nature of changing values - society values change faster than those of individuals, and some people end up out of date and still in the obsolete mindset.

Using that logic - the people coming forward are actors. Surely they could be acting about the whole thing.

No-but it's Brunker. Brunker tells us 'everything' about her life-she even went on a date with the ginger dude from Simply Red.
    She got disgusted looks when she talked about designer vaginas on Ireland AM-or was it RTE? It was some after noon or morning show.

She overshares all the time-to a really, really disgusting and uncivilised level. Then whines and claims 'harassment' on the internet.
    She could have spoken about this at any time. But it's arguable she may have liked the attention-or done a Glenda and hoped for a sugar daddy who'd buy her an expensive car and massive house. Rather than having to live at home with mom. Which she was, up until recent times.
    Sure it is. The same way there were still people telling Weinstein 'Wow, you sure know how to get your way with the starlets - respect man', 'Dont go too hard on her!', 'Lets hear it for Hollywood's number one player', 'Harvey old pal, you really are incorrigible - if only I were as powerful in this town as you are', etc, etc.
    Its simply the nature of changing values - society values change faster than those of individuals, and some people end up out of date and still in the obsolete mindset.

Wow...just wow...the leaps in logic in the above...I can't make my brain go to those extremes. Can anyone make the above sound rational?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Ipso wrote:
    What was the Clint Eastwood movie where his character raped a woman by more or less walking up to her and dragging her into a barn? High Plains Drifter or Hang 'em High

goose2005 wrote:
    Eastwood's character is not meant to be a hero!

Connery in Goldfinger too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

#metoo has descended into every 2 bit wanker complaining that somebody made a pass at them once...oh ffs.

it cheapens the suffering of people who were assaulted by media whoring gobsh1tes for their 2 mins of fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

arayess wrote: »
    #metoo has descended into every 2 bit wanker complaining that somebody made a pass at them once...oh ffs.

it cheapens the suffering of people who were assaulted by media whoring gobsh1tes for their 2 mins of fame.

It's the new ice bucket challenge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

If all one did was read media and talk online, you could be forgiven for thinking there was a crisis between men and women or men and women could no longer get along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

A number of gymnasts have come forward to alleged molestation or rape during the Olympics.
    One of whom is McKayla Maroney. Happened often, too, including the night before her Silver medal and iconic 'Mckayla's not impressed' image. Adds a dark undertone to that photo.
    But what is disturbing to me with her case (and a russian olympian too) is they name their abuser. I'm uneasy with viglilanteism.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/18/mckayla-maroney-says-usa-gymnastics-team-doctor-began-molesting-her-at-the-age-of-13/?tid=hybrid_collaborative_1_na&utm_term=.19805bdbc475

-

The guy is a convicted sex offender and is already in jail awaiting trial for 22 counts of abuse so there's no need to be worried about vigilanteism. So far over 100 victims have come forward. Personally, what I find disturbing about the case is that he was able to abuse so many girls and for so long, not that he has been named.

Also we had people on this thread criticising victims of HW for not coming forward and naming him sooner. This person has named her abuser and she is also being criticised. They can't win, clearly they should just keep their mouths shut forever eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

arayess wrote: »

Yes hashtags are not in the slightest bit cheap by themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

marienbad wrote: »
    You consider this cultural hegemony ? Get a grip . Most of the world is controlled by right wing governments or dictators , with the EU about the only hold out , and even that is being assailed from within. And most of those governments and dictators have no problem with lying and worse to maintain their power .

And you see 'the Clinton Crime Syndicate ' and a dozen women visiting Google as indicators of the end of days !

As I say get a grip and may the force be with them ( they will need it )

The EU as the fair and gleaming becon of hope in the world and it's self implosion is the cause of right wing assaults from within? As opposed to the likes of the push for control of a United States of Europe which no one wants, a single EU army which they also want the French (and the British before leaving) to give control of their nukes to Brussels military command and then Nana Merkel flooding the continent with economic migrants which no one asked or wanted? Yeah it's all the right wings fault

Jesus wept :pac:

Stay silent and you're complicit.

Speak up and you're an attention seeker.

Stand together finding safety in numbers and you're jumping on a bandwagon.

Feel unable for any number of reasons to name your abuser and you're a hypocrite.

Women, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

The EU as the fair and gleaming becon of hope in the world and it's self implosion is the cause of right wing assaults from within? As opposed to the likes of the push for control of a United States of Europe which no one wants, a single EU army which they also want the French (and the British before leaving) to give control of their nukes to Brussels military command and then Nana Merkel flooding the continent with economic migrants which no one asked or wanted? Yeah it's all the right wings fault

Jesus wept :pac:

Who said the EU is the beacon of hope ? Talk about seeing what isn't there , Jesus wept indeed .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The EU as the fair and gleaming becon of hope in the world and it's self implosion is the cause of right wing assaults from within?

Is this some sort of fantasy novel you're writing? How is the EU imploding? If Britain is anything to go by leaving the EU is implosion from within caused by a spat within Britain's right-wing Tory party and it hasn't even left yet.
    As opposed to the likes of the push for control of a United States of Europe which no one wants

If nobody wants it then it won't happen regardless of who tries to push for it.
    a single EU army which they also want

I don't think some sort of joint EU defence force is such a bad idea. I'd like to see NATO out of Europe and for Europe to take care of its own defence.
    the French (and the British before leaving) to give control of their nukes to Brussels military command and

Conspiracy theories forum that-a-way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    then Nana Merkel flooding the continent with economic migrants which no one asked or wanted?

Wasn't the reason for this population decline and a lack of workers in Germany? Is that left-wing? Also, can you remember who it was that helped wreck Iraq, Libya and Syria? Is western supplying of Islamist nut-jobs 'left-wing'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

This story was reported in the Myrtle Beach online paper today:

84 kids rescued, 120 human traffickers arrested in FBI sting, some at MB hotel
    Eighty-four children were rescued — including one as young as 3 months old — and 120 human traffickers were arrested in a nationwide undercover operation that involved a Myrtle Beach hotel.

In South Carolina, the three-day operation Oct. 12-15 focused on undercover stings in Myrtle Beach and Columbia.

Three women were arrested and charged with prostitution last week in a joint FBI/Myrtle Beach Police Department operation at the Hilton Garden Inn near Coastal Grand Mall.

Capt. David Knipes with MBPD said the arrests came as part of the FBI’s operation on the evening of Oct. 13.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/crime/article179497181.html

84 children rescued, and barely a word in the media...

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I just think she had plenty time before now to come out and share her story, why now and she didn't name and shame the person either, maybe I just think she is cynical and a hypocrite given her previous comments

While I get what you mean, most of the people coming forward are from historical cases and some haven't named their abuser. Does that mean they shouldn't? Like I said, I don't like here - I don't hate her either, but the kind of attitude people are having would put anyone off coming forward... and that's not right.
    This story was reported in the Myrtle Beach online paper today:

84 kids rescued, 120 human traffickers arrested in FBI sting, some at MB hotel

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/crime/article179497181.html

84 children rescued, and barely a word in the media...

What does this have to do with this thread or are you using this place as a dump for random articles?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Candie wrote: »
    Stay silent and you're complicit.

Speak up and you're an attention seeker.

Stand together finding safety in numbers and you're jumping on a bandwagon.

Feel unable for any number of reasons to name your abuser and you're a hypocrite.

Women, eh?
    Sure C there is an element to that alright, but there also seems to be an element of meme/fashion/bandwagon/attention seeking with some. Especially those who's job depends on getting column inches.

That said I would rather have ten nutters/notice boxes looking for attention on this if a hundred real deals feel safe about telling their story. The real deals will prove to be enlightening, hoepfully cathartic and hopefully lead to more digging and even more hopefully more greasy bastards being called out and caught.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

A little context perhaps, Candie, to what you're referencing:
    Candie wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Wow...just wow...the leaps in logic in the above...I can't make my brain go to those extremes. Can anyone make the above sound rational?
    Some clearly cannot. This is my point. Some people change and understand that what was once acceptable can become no longer acceptable. The below is the same:it is simply not OK to laugh at a joke which without batting an eyelid refers to 'b***k' men:
    Let's not forget, the movie also has this joke.

It is the same syndrome that has continued to condone the abuse of women, and the suppression of their ability to speak out about it.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The guy is a convicted sex offender and is already in jail awaiting trial for 22 counts of abuse so there's no need to be worried about vigilanteism. So far over 100 victims have come forward. Personally, what I find disturbing about the case is that he was able to abuse so many girls and for so long, not that he has been named.

Also we had people on this thread criticising victims of HW for not coming forward and naming him sooner. This person has named her abuser and she is also being criticised. They can't win, clearly they should just keep their mouths shut forever eh?

If she wants justice, go to the courts-go to the legal systems. Going to the media will often do more damage than good-a judge may find a jury was not impartial, thus allowing an abuser to walk. (I was not aware of the trial ongoing).

Did you read the Russian gymnasts account? Her alleged rape took place in 1990, 27 years ago. I don't know about anyone else, but a statute of limitations is more than likely in place there. Coming forward may give her peace, but it also sets her up for a potential lawsuit. She named her rapist, by name-the article named where he works, his gymnasium etc. Britain allows for historical rape/ abuse cases-the Russian gymnast's case probably does not.

I'm not condemning women speaking up-but when it's a case of 'it's too late for justice' (hard as that my be to accept) then naming and shaming can cause more problems for the victim than it does for the rapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It is the same syndrome that has continued to condone the abuse of women, and the suppression of their ability to speak out about it.

Oh cut the bull.

All week I have been reading about this, watching news reports, listening to radio shows and talking to people about it too and not once have I heard anyone condone the behaviour of Harvey Weinstein. I've heard a few people question if one or two involved are being 100% honest alright but with regards to the 30+ other women who have complained about how Weinstein mistreated then, and who they 100% believe) every single person I have heard express an opinion on it is disgusted that he abused his power the way he did.

The notion that society tolerated this is a BS! Sure, we have laughed at the notion of the casting couch for years but only in consensual sense where someone would throw themselves at a director perhaps but I don't think anyone ever felt that it would be hilarious if someone, who had their heart on making it in Hollywood, was threatened with never working in the industry unless they sexually complied.

People did enable this though (members of his staff who were sooooooooooo appalled by his behaviour that they agreed to keep quiet for pay) which is why I find it infuriating when people say we should only focus on Harvey Weinstein. The simple fact is that he could not do this without people looking the other way and as much as we need to keep shaming the actions of men like Harvey (as I feel we always have done) we also need to shame the enabling of anyone who behaves like he did. As if the actions of those people aren't condemned also, then there will surely be more Harveys down the line.

What does this have to do with this thread or are you using this place as a dump for random articles?

I'm at a bit of a loss there as well, had thought maybe Myrtle Beach is out by Santa Monica or one of the coastal areas near Hollywood... but it's 2,500 miles away over in South Carolina? :confused:

This whole thread has gone pretty weird the last few days to be honest.

Some clearly cannot. This is my point. Some people change and understand that what was once acceptable can become no longer acceptable. The below is the same:it is simply not OK to laugh at a joke which without batting an eyelid refers to 'b***k' men:

You missed the joke again-and since when is 'black' an expletive? It's not racist to say 'black' the same way it's not racist to say 'white'. And again, you missed the joke-it's a little girl talking about the guys she dates-language that would get a 'ya wha?' look when said by an adult. And a empty speech bubble in the scene I posted. When the dialogue comes from a little girl, it's funny.

If you're referring to Weinstein and Hollywood-the guy had power, he abused that power. He literally slammed actors into walls in front of Hillary Clinton and her friends-and nothing happened to him. He suppressed everyone.
    Some company's-Cartoon Network, for one-are far quicker to act. CN has recently suspended the creator of one of their hit shows (Loud House) for sexual harassment. And it's not the first time they've acted in cases of harassment. Many women spoke of being harassed/ objectified by women-just listen to J-Law's discussion of it.

Oh cut the bull.

All week I have been reading about this, watching news reports, listening to radio shows and talking to people about it too and not once have I heard anyone condone the behaviour of Harvey Weinstein. I've heard a few people question if one or two involved are being 100% honest alright but with regards to the 30+ other women who have complained about how Weinstein mistreated then, and who they 100% believe) every single person I have heard express an opinion on it is disgusted that he abused his power the way he did.

The notion that society tolerated this is a BS! Sure, we have laughed at the notion of the casting couch for years but only in consensual sense where someone would throw themselves at a director perhaps but I don't think anyone ever felt that it would be hilarious if someone, who had their heart on making it in Hollywood, was threatened with never working in the industry unless they sexually complied.

People did enable this though (members of his staff who were sooooooooooo appalled by his behaviour that they agreed to keep quiet for pay) which is why I find it infuriating when people say we should only focus on Harvey Weinstein. The simple fact is that he could not do this without people looking the other way and as much as we need to keep shaming the actions of men like Harvey (as I feel we always have done) we also need to shame the enabling of anyone who behaves like he did. As if the actions of those people aren't condemned also, then there will surely be more Harveys down the line.

I find it interesting how many women haven't spoken up-sort of like 'they played the game, are embarassed to be found out'. Blake Lively spoke about a photographer, but not Harvey (terrible misdirection) and Olivia Wilde and Gretchen Mol seemed to be Harvey's call girls-note how some mentioned he was going to 'set up a threesome with Olivia Wilde' while Cara Delevigne didn't mention Olivia, but spoke about meeting Harvey and another woman being in the room.
    There were many, many enablers for HW. And many who were trying to get the big gigs and would do anything to do so. For all the voices who've spoken up, there has been a large swell of silence in many other cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

arayess wrote:

I used it. It's happened to me more once. Should I have kept it to myself lest some 2 bit wanker not believe me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I used it. It's happened to me more once. Should I have kept it to myself lest some 2 bit wanker not believe me?

This point you've just made makes no sense as against the post you quoted. Who said anything about not believing you? What have you achieved with the hashtag and twitter blogging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This point you've just made makes no sense as against the post you quoted. Who said anything about not believing you? What have you achieved with the hashtag and twitter blogging?
    Anything other than 10000% agreement instantly equals you dont believe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

I thought we were trying to raise awareness of abuse in society? These kids don't have a voice, and there should be as much focus on who was abusing them, (and making money out of it) as there is on Weinstein.

Whoever was facilitating this abuse needs to be publicly destroyed. And you'd be amazed what publicity can do in terms of getting witnesses to come forward.

Or is it another case of sweep it under the carpet and pretend you didn't know?

Surprised that Amanda Brunker didn't speak about her experience at the hands of a hurricane given that she has been affected by every thing.

Also...

22627420_10155706122505097_753061163_n.png?oh=54c9e46048908dca32887b9470acc6ad&oe=59EAE606

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So apparently it's not unusual in the music industry either

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41672902

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So apparently it's not unusual in the music industry either

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41672902
    Naturally. Any industry that promises riches and fame will have gatekeepers to those riches and fame and a long queue of people trying to get though the gate. It's a perfect target rich environment for abusers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Sure didn't that Ke$ha one say something similar about a producer called Doctor [something-or-other] maybe a year or two back? Can't remember many particulars about it at all but I do remember a good few people having some not-so-kind things to say about her at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

The Hollywood hypocrisy is really exposed with this fella

Meryl Streep I'm hysterics over Trumps grab em by the pussy comments but was the first to give a standing ovation for Polanski even after all he's done and not word out of her criticize this creep

Didn't she say he made her do dodgy stuff back in the day too?

I remember I think it was Tina Fey made a joke at some awards directed at him and all the actors just groaned but once the camera panned to Wein laughing they all joined in, afraid of their lives of his influence even tho his antics were well known

Tina Fey's show 30 Rock called Weinstein out, the line was something like "I'll have you know I turned Harvey Weinstein down 3 times.... out of 5". One of the people who worked on the show played an important part in bringing the scandal to light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I still think Brunker should name and shame the businessman if it is indeed a true story. It might help protect other vulnerable women.

Many of the women coming out now including McGowan etc are naming perpetrators. This encourages other women to come forward with accounts about the same perpetrators.

Protecting the anonymity of a perpetrator is no use to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Sure didn't that Ke$ha one say something similar about a producer called Doctor [something-or-other] maybe a year or two back? Can't remember many particulars about it at all but I do remember a good few people having some not-so-kind things to say about her at the time.

Yep, she accused Dr Luke of giving her drugs and taking advantage of her over several years. She says she started to say no and he forced himself on her and blackmailed her by holding her career to ransom. He refused to release her from her contract so she was forced to work with him or no one. That's what the court case was about. I think she lost the case? But has since been released from the contract and has a new album out. Other artists who had worked with Dr Luke like Lady Gaga and Kelly Clarkson supported her so I think there was something in it.

I remember the thread on here at the time many had no sympathy for her. And those same people then wonder why more don't speak out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

How do people think so many of the untalented people you see on TV nowadays get into that position in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I still think Brunker should name and shame the businessman if it is indeed a true story. It might help protect other vulnerable women.

Many of the women coming out now including McGowan etc are naming perpetrators. This encourages other women to come forward with accounts about the same perpetrators.

Protecting the anonymity of a perpetrator is no use to anyone.

Brunker should go to her nearest garda station and go on record like everyone else that witness' or is a victim of a crime and let due process take its course.

This name and shame social media witch hunt mentality can potentially go very wrong and innocent people can be accused of abhorrent things and as good as declared instantly guilty by the baying mob.

• Advertisement
Advertisement