Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Surely it would be cheaper to do a tell all interview? I do wish him well though.

Edited to add- I never thought that maybe a studio or network won't want to be seen to be endorsing his views so maybe it's for the best that it's an independent production. That way he'll have more creative control over content and editing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Harvey Wankstain released a statement, haven't had a chance to read it yet but I hope it's a grovelling apology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

MadYaker wrote: »
    Harvey Wankstain released a statement, haven't had a chance to read it yet but I hope it's a grovelling apology.

Yeah... don't hold your breath there. Two very recent statements here on women who have accused him:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/10/the-evolution-of-harvey-weinsteins-statements/543690/
    “Brit Marling is a super talented actress and writer. Mr. Weinstein has a different recollection of the events.’’

"Mr. Weinstein has a different recollection of the events, but believes Lupita is a brilliant actress and a major force for the industry. Last year, she sent a personal invitation to Mr. Weinstein to see her in her Broadway show Eclipsed."

It is also a textbook manifestation of he said, she said, used as a legal strategy—with the he in question, in this case, simply shrugging in response to the allegation. And, then, with the he in question declining to elaborate further. In response to The Atlantic’s request to provide more specific detail on how Weinstein’s recollection differs from Marling’s, [Weinstein's spokesperson, Sallie] Hofmeister declined to comment.
    He's basically gone straight to playing legal chess rather than considering any real form of apology that might be seen as admitting guilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I guess it would be unrealistic to expect him to throw his hands up and say "yes I did it, take me away!"

His reputation is already in tatters, I imagine he can live with that. But a long jail sentence for someone who has lived the life he's had? Id say he'd nearly choose death over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭tara73

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yeah... don't hold your breath there. Two very recent statements here on women who have accused him:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/10/the-evolution-of-harvey-weinsteins-statements/543690/
    He's basically gone straight to playing legal chess rather than considering any real form of apology that might be seen as admitting guilt.

Firstly that and would anybody believe in any genuiness in an apology from this man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Corey Feldman has released a video announcing that he knows of at least 6 powerful paedophiles in Hollywood, and he is going to confront them. Feldman states that he needs funding to hire security for his family, and to hire powerful lawyers.
    He also plans to release a movie that isn't restricted by the Hollywood studios.

Maybe some of you should consider donating, if you want to try and make a difference. There's an awful lot of chatter on Facebook and Twitter, but very little in terms of actual action.

If it was a kickstarter, I'd donate-but Indiegogo is notoriously dodgy. If you donate through kickstarter, and the project either doesn't get funded, or doesn't get made-your money is refunded. If it's Indiegogo-it doesn't. They pocket the cash, and away they go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm going to the work Halloween party as Harvey Weinstein

You'll freeze to death in a bathrobe this weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If it was a kickstarter, I'd donate-but Indiegogo is notoriously dodgy. If you donate through kickstarter, and the project either doesn't get funded, or doesn't get made-your money is refunded. If it's Indiegogo-it doesn't. They pocket the cash, and away they go.

Just saw the following blind item posted on CDAN which is obviously meant to be Feldman.
    This former 80's actor will be keeping all the money for himself and then revealing someone who already died if his idea goes according to plan. The one who he should be naming he won't

It's pretty easy to find out who the person who allegedly raped Corey haim is. it's not like he has a good reputation to ruin these days (or ever really) and wouldn't really be a bombshell reveal to most people. If feldman really is using this to make money then he is a disgrace

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Just saw the following blind item posted on CDAN which is obviously meant to be Feldman.

It's pretty easy to find out who the person who allegedly raped Corey haim is. it's not like he has a good reputation to ruin these days (or ever really) and wouldn't really be a bombshell reveal to most people. If feldman really is using this to make money then he is a disgrace

You didn't listen to the video at all. He wasn't talking about revealing just this person. He was talking about 6 known main people in the paedophile ring.

https://twitter.com/RhonaTarrant/status/922816634661883904

Speaking of paedophiles-this was the Irish Times, paying tribute to Tom Humphries...yes, tribute. They amended the article-originally it was 40 paragraphs, and the first mention of his paedophilia and the rape and abuse of a young girl ...was on paragraph 38. As many noted, this was akin to 50 people walking over to Humphries, in court, and shaking his hand. (I believe there is another case pending, involving another victim. Someone clarify that for me).
    Same article compared him as a successor to Con Houlihan...which was an insult to the legendary Con.

Today, Joe Brolly was saying he 'didn't know what Donal Og stepped down from his job'...well, could anyone support a guy who gave a character statement for an abuser?

Remember how they condemned 'rural' areas for having backward attitudes? What's the excuse for this excrement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Maybe some of you should consider donating, if you want to try and make a difference. There's an awful lot of chatter on Facebook and Twitter, but very little in terms of actual action.

Cheers, I'll donate too. Even if he spends it on himself he deserves a thank you gesture for what he was doing over the years, restricted as he was.

Another actress has spoken of being raped. Seems Harvey killed her career too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5017777/Actress-Natassia-Malthe-says-Harvey-Weinstein-raped-her.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

So horrific. Jesus

Why isn't this disgusting prick in jail pardon my French?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

For those who think this business is just political correctness gone absolutely baloobas and Weinstein is being given a hard time for what is universally standard male behaviour since the flood : get yourself to an opera.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/the-harvey-weinsteins-of-the-world-are-well-represented-in-opera-1.3267370

For those who think this business is just political correctness gone absolutely baloobas and Weinstein is being given a hard time for what is universally standard male behaviour since the flood : get yourself to an opera.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/the-harvey-weinsteins-of-the-world-are-well-represented-in-opera-1.3267370

The Irish times wrote a heaping of praise on one of their former colleagues, in an article yesterday-didn't mention he was a paedophile or rapist.

The Irish times wrote a heaping of praise on one of their former colleagues, in an article yesterday-didn't mention he was a paedophile or rapist.

That article had quite a de mortuis nil nisi bonum feel to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

anna080 wrote: »

It's just a sex addiction, nothing a week in rehab won't fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Has Weinstein even been interviewed by police yet?

• Advertisement

Has Weinstein even been interviewed by police yet?

'He's in therapy' so no.

'He's in therapy' so no.

He needs to be paraded out of there in handcuffs.

Rumours that he may be stripped of his CBE. Tad harsh.

Not harsh enough. The scumbag should be in the slammer. Taking away a fluffy honour is the very least that should be done. He should be denounced of every honour he personally acquired while he abused and bullied his way through his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The poor fella :rolleyes:

He needs to be paraded out of there in handcuffs.

Yep-harassment of women is now into the 40s or 50s, and the number of rapes stands at 9, so far.

I'd lock the guy away for the rest of his life. And I would not feel bad doing so.

Hell, I'd put Terry Richardson with him-let him drink his 'tampon' tea in solitary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nine rapes.

This man is a evil Monster. A serial rapist. He should be in a jail cell and keys thrown away. Thats before we even come to the other assaults.

Nine rapes.

This man is a evil Monster. A serial rapist. He should be in a jail cell and keys thrown away. Thats before we even come to the other assaults.

Yeah, and you know in these situations that many, many of those he raped have not come forward. And possibly never will. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

Just what is your agenda here? Seriously - the man has been paying off women for years and admitted he is a sex pest.

seenitall wrote: »
    Don't worry, you are not obligated to donate.

There are a lot of very, very rich people milling around Hollywood and California, and rich people like nothing better than to feel all saintly and like they are doing something for the cause-du-jour. So the timing is right for him to get the lolly if he feels he needs it for this, and get it he will. All the best to him.

It might just be me being overly cynical, but my reading of it is that he's funding a movie, which will be how he reveals the ring that is operating in California. Instead of, I'm not sure, just saying it once he gets the money.

There's mention of a movie, so perhaps I'm wrong. And then including an album as a stretch goal.

What he's doing is great and I hope he does it, but you'd have to wonder the kind of reaction the first people who accused Weinstein would have received had they said, "I'm going to tell you who assualted with me, in my book/movie and I'm raising money for it too".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

He could just do it, without asking for 10-f*ckin-million dollars to do it.
    Surely it would be cheaper to do a tell all interview? I do wish him well though.

Edited to add- I never thought that maybe a studio or network won't want to be seen to be endorsing his views so maybe it's for the best that it's an independent production. That way he'll have more creative control over content and editing.

The statute of limitations doesn't allow for Feldman to just start naming names. The best he can do is hope for his day in court. So that means trying to publicise his case, hire very good lawyers, develop connections with the people who control the information in Hollywood, and make sure he has damn good security too. He's going up against people who will happily use the underworld to intimidate and silence victims.

Well, most of us innocent 'civilians' still cling to this cute, quaint notion that justice is for all, just like in those happy Disney movies that Hollywood churns out where the good guys always win in the end.

The reality is a lot more cynical, disgusting, and soul destroying. In any country, as long as you have money and the right connections, you can pretty much get away with anything unless someone shafts you.

As George Carlin said about these rich corrupt elites: "It's a club. And you're not in it."

But on the odd rare occasion, if you can make enough noise create so much and hassle for the elites, they start to panic and will throw out sacrificial lambs to deflect attention in the hope that it won't bring the whole corrupt, rotten system down.

So if we, the public, make enough noise and channel our funds into the right causes, then Weinstein will be brought down. And hopefully that will start a chain reaction. The floodgates might, just might open after that.

And it takes a lot of money to purchase that publicity and justice. And that's what you're doing-purchasing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well, most of us innocent 'civilians' still cling to this cute, quaint notion that justice is for all, just like in those happy Disney movies that Hollywood churns out where the good guys always win in the end.

The reality is a lot more cynical, disgusting, and soul destroying. In any country, as long as you have money and the right connections, you can pretty much get away with anything unless someone shafts you.

As George Carlin said about these rich corrupt elites: "It's a club. And you're not in it."
    As Jonathan Swift remarked: "laws are like cobwebs, they may catch tiny flies, but let wasps and hornets break through.”

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

Have to say I don't really like when organisations strip a person of their accolades in some attempt to clean their name after it emerges somebody has done something terrible (Harvey, OJ, Lance etc...).

Just seems like an attempt to rewrite history and clear their name.

I wonder this too but I think others explained here very well why he's not. As said, it's a disgusting world in general.

But I guess all this women who come forward now with the rape allegations will sue him for many millions. So with this he has to deal. Just read that one actress plans to sue him for 5 million. So if say 15 women will sue him for say 5 million that's a battle for 75 million. That's something and not easily ignorable, not even for this ***. I hope. On the other hand I'll not be surprised if he somehow gets away with it. The connections with the influentiest 'law world' will be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Not harsh enough. The scumbag should be in the slammer. Taking away a fluffy honour is the very least that should be done. He should be denounced of every honour he personally acquired while he abused and bullied his way through his career.

Wait I thought you had to be a pedophile in the first place to get this award?

Well, maybe he would be if these women had reported him after he raped them.

I absolutely understand that he threatened some of them with career ruin but they are not all saying that. They, I'm sure, will say that they felt it would affect their careers negatively if they went to the police but that for me is not a good enough reason not to report someone that has just raped you.
    Another actress has spoken of being raped. Seems Harvey killed her career too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5017777/Actress-Natassia-Malthe-says-Harvey-Weinstein-raped-her.html

Case and point..........

Here we have a woman who claims she was raped but did not go to the police afterwards and is now giving a press conference with this lawyer who at the end says:
    "The Weinstein Company says that they want justice for the victims, well lets see it then!"

Eh, go.to.the.police.then.

This lawyer is clearly implying that they want money. That's what justice is in her eyes. She should not be trying to meet the Weinstein company. This is a police matter.

Turns out a lot of people at Miramax knew what Weinstein was up to and willfully enabled him, all in the hope of "making it" in Hollywood.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/25/the-cult-of-harvey-weinsteins-staff-at-miramax-describe-bullying-and-abuse
    Webster admitted that Weinstein’s predatory behaviour towards young women was common knowledge but that the culture of Miramax led them to “compartmentalise it”.
    “I feel so ashamed because I knew, everyone knew,’ said Webster. “I’ve been saying it for years that he’d eventually get done for rape, because it’s that pattern of bullying behaviour combined with the sex stuff. I can say now I did think he was a rapist.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Weinstein probably / certainly is what these women are saying he is but its probably better to have the court cases .

Hopefully Weinstein is not able to use his wealth connections to stymie true and proper court cases .

Well, maybe he would be if these women had reported him after he raped them.

I absolutely understand that he threatened some of them with career ruin but they are not all saying that. They, I'm sure, will say that they felt it would affect their careers negatively if they went to the police but that for me is not a good enough reason not to report someone that has just raped you.

This lawyer is clearly implying that they want money. That's what justice is in her eyes. She should not be trying to meet the Weinstein company. This is a police matter.

It's Gloria Allred-the lawyer I mean. I'll admit, her statement 'justice' does leave a bad taste in my mouth-because justice in my eyes is a prison sentence. It's not being paid off to keep your silence.
    Also, when you think of many negative images of lawyers, she encapsulates the majority of them. (She once sued the boyscouts of America for not allowing girls into the organization.) Also, 'shrill feminist lawyer' from the Simpsons is based on her. (Her name even comes up when you google those 3 words).

https://static.simpsonswiki.com/images/thumb/7/7d/Gloria_Allred.png/250px-Gloria_Allred.png

And it takes a lot of money to purchase that publicity and justice. And that's what you're doing-purchasing it.

Also, the 'bad guy gets it in the end' assumes there is an ending. Nothing ends though.

Yeah, some people never get justice. Jimmy Saville's victims never saw justice. I know survivors of sexual abuse who never saw justice, even when they had to flee home because one of their parents was abusing them.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/10/selma-blair-and-rachel-mcadams-share-their-stories-of-james-toback-sexual-harassment

While it was reported about James Toback a week or two ago-the story went silent very quickly. Which is shocking, because now over 200-yes two hundred- women have come forward to allege sexual harassment on his part. Among them Selma Blair and Rachel McAdams.
    It's shocking how little attention he has gotten-George Bush Snr has received more coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

There was a good article here about Dan Schneider and his influence at Nickelodeon. If the rumours are to be believed, they are going to make Miramar look like angels by comparison:

https://www.redstate.com/kiradavis/2017/10/24/next-big-hollywood-sex-scandal-already-breaking...at-nickelodeon/

I wrote previously about an anonymous insider called 'Himmmm' that was providing accurate information about the sexual abuse in Hollywood.

Read what they had to say about Schneider:
    "Hes a monster. The WORST predator alive. And if you wonder why nobody will confront or charge him? Hes in charge of multiple HIT SHOWS for Nick which rakes in oceans of money. Tens of millions of dollars multiplied by many years and many shows (not to mention his merchandising royalties). So Viacom-Nick warn him to cool it – then pay for his damn lawyers.

What about the parents? No tweener parent who shoved their kid into the limelight from birth is going to cross him either, and risk career suicide and loss of revenue (and residuals and future career). No matter how bad it ****s up the kids. Especially if theres MULTIPLE kid actors in the family. And the kids agents are complicit too. Just ask the Spears family. A LOT of settlements get paid out of Viacoms accounts.

There have been rumors swirling about Dan Schneider for quite some time. Rumors that he is the father Jamie Lynn Spears daughter, got Amanda Bynes pregnant and paid for her abortion, and took the virginity of countless Nickelodeon starlettes. A quick Google search will show you how many people are catching onto this guy and questioning his innocence."

Schneider had access to pretty much every child star at Nickelodeon over the last 20 years :eek:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/26/mark-halperin-sexual-harassment-suspended-msnbc

So the guy who wrote the book on how Obama won, has now been caught for sexual harassment.

Also, a planned mini series that would have documented how Trump won has been axed-it was based on his book. Is this irony? Seems there were many 'grab em by the p***y' folks in the flock.

And let's not forget Bill O'Reilly's 32 million dollar payout to a possible rape victim-I mean 'non-consensual sexual relationship' victim. (To put things in perspective-OJ Simpson paid 33 million in a settlement, to the parents of people he killed. Reilly must have done some serious crap)

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's starting to look like it might be quicker to list the names of the powerful who didn't sexually abuse others in Hollywood. :(

Neyite wrote: »
    It's starting to look like it might be quicker to list the names of the powerful who didn't sexually abuse others in Hollywood. :(

So far it's a pretty small list.

Lassie the Dog
    Uggy the Dog
    Eddie from Frazier
    Rin tin Tin the dog
    And Benji...also a dog.

Harvey's suing The Weinstein Company for access to files.

And here's an interview from earlier with the always lovely (looking) Ashley Judd.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/over-300-women-james-toback-allegations_us_59f27617e4b07fdc5fbd3236?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

So the James Stoback story is getting even worse-it's now at 310 accusers. Some very serious accusations, including death threats. According the Selma Blair's experience, he would grind against women until he ejaculated (he did this to her) telling them to pinch his nipples while he grinded on them.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/over-300-women-james-toback-allegations_us_59f27617e4b07fdc5fbd3236?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

So the James Stoback story is getting even worse-it's now at 310 accusers. Some very serious accusations, including death threats. According the Selma Blair's experience, he would grind against women until he ejaculated (he did this to her) telling them to pinch his nipples while he grinded on them.

I'm not a woman so I can't know for sure why they did this, but I just don't understand why these women stood there while this monster pleasured himself on front of them. Why was there no swift kick between the legs and then do a runner?

Why did these actresses feel the need to degrade themselves in the hope of getting a role? Surely most women would just stand up and walk out as soon as talk turned sexual?

On one level the whole thing is bizarre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And here's an interview from earlier with the always lovely (looking) Ashley Judd.
    Man, American news is so cringe at times. The level of schmaltz, "emotions" and acting they throw in on serious business topics makes me gag. All dramatics and emotionals.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Man, American news is so cringe at times. The level of schmaltz, "emotions" and acting they throw in on serious business topics makes me gag. All dramatics and emotionals.

I didn't like how Diane kept narrating over Judd and telling us what she was saying, instead of just showing us what Judd said herself. It's like she'd ask her a question, and then Diane would answer it for us in Judd's words over the footage of Judd speaking.
    Really annoying. I like to hear people speak in their own words, otherwise what is the point of an interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm not a woman so I can't know for sure why they did this, but I just don't understand why these women stood there while this monster pleasured himself on front of them. Why was there no swift kick between the legs and then do a runner?

Why did these actresses feel the need to degrade themselves in the hope of getting a role? Surely most women would just stand up and walk out as soon as talk turned sexual?

There's a reason "Fight or Flight" was changed to "Fight, Flight or Freeze". Sometimes people automatically freeze in situations as a way of dealing with something they find traumatic in the hopes that it will minimise the danger they're in, reduce the trauma of it (in an almost 'out-of-body' experience) and delay the trauma of the experience.
    Under such unnerving circumstances, “freezing up” or “numbing out”—in a word, dissociating from the here and now—is about the only and (in various instances), best thing you can do. Being physically, mentally, and emotionally immobilized by your consternation permits you not to feel the harrowing enormity of what’s happening to you, which in your hyperaroused state might threaten your very sanity. In such instances some of the chemicals (i.e., endorphins) you thereby secrete function as an analgesic, so the pain of any injury (to your body or psyche) is experienced with far less intensity.

Additionally, if you’re not putting up a fight, the person or animal aggressing against you just might lose interest in continuing their attack. But whatever the provocation, if you can’t make the assailant disappear, you’re much better off “disappearing” yourself, by blocking out what’s much too scary to take in. So, in its own way, the freeze response to trauma is—if only at the time—quite as adaptive as the fight/flight response.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolution-the-self/201507/trauma-and-the-freeze-response-good-bad-or-both

When presented with a sudden unexpected attack on the person the old fight or flight reaction kicks in. More the "play possum" and do nothing reaction can kick in. We see this in crowds where something dangerous kicks in, or something like a person has a heart attack. The majority tend to stand around all concerned but doing nothing. It's a small minority of (non trained) people who will actually try and do something. That's what's going on here. The women go into shutdown, just survive this mode.

In scenarios like this women are more likely to go the shutdown survive route. If the pervert has boxed them in physically they can't engage the flight mode and given that the average man is far stronger than the average woman the fight mode isn't of much use either. To survive the perfectly understandable and sensible reaction is to freeze.

I remember reading of experiments with the male hormone testosterone and its effects. Women have some naturally but in tiny amounts. When they gave a little extra to women in the study a couple of things were noticed. They became more assertive for a start, more likely to kick back when challenged(oddly they became more sharing and actually less aggressive, which came as a surprise IIRC).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fear can be quite a paralysing thing, this guy is a lot bigger than these women and who knows how much worse things could have got if they failed to get away. Even if they did, he's a highly influential and I would no doubt assume we'll connected person in Hollywood - that brings up a myriad of potential risks, and not just in terms of career prospects.

Advertisement