Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

anna080 wrote: »
    I don't think I've said that exact phrase!

However whilst he is clearly a colossal pervert and deserves all that is coming to him there isn't a nice even divide here between predator and victim.

Some actresses definitely decided that their career would be helped by sleeping with him or watching him shower - ewww btw.

That just needs to be addressed

While there were for sure some who were complaisant- that does not mean everyone was as tolerant about what was going on. I don't know what you mean about there not being a nice even divide? Whether they were obliging or not he still abused them and abused his power, and they were victims of that. It's ironic that the ones who spoke out or sued have had stagnating careers while the ones who were complict have prospered.

You've a fair point there I have to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

David Icke said that for years was happening in the elite institutions in our societies and no one batted an eyelid. Said the same about Jimmy Saville and so on. And now look, it's all true. People probably don't realize just how dark this goes and what is really happening in the world of entertainment and in general.
    The problem is Icke claims the world is controlled by lizard creatures, it's more that he accidentally hits on something true occasionally.
    If I'd blown my boss to get a leg up career wise and then cried rape 20 years later I'd be ashamed.
    The very idea. Disagreeing with a woman!!!
    You're attacking women who were assaulted by a man who had far more legal power than they ever would. Unfortunately I can understand why they felt the need to hide it. Your attitude towards them is incredibly nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So which industry will be exposed next? Music (should be interesting given the veneration of Sex, Drugs Rock n Roll etc), modeling (this one is probably the bottom of the scum bucket I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Penn wrote: »
    The New Yorker now has a huge article with more stories about Harvey, including full accusations of rape and sexual assault, as well as an audio recording of Harvey trying to get a model into the bathroom with him, which was part of an NYPD sting operation.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/from-aggressive-overtures-to-sexual-assault-harvey-weinsteins-accusers-tell-their-stories?mbid=social_twitter

Thanks for posting that, very good article. Interestingly, written by Ronan Farrow, Woody Allen's son (although there is some doubt about his paternity). He has previously also written articles denouncing his father

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think Donna Karan, New York fashion designer, takes the cake for irony in this matter.

She said:
    "To see it here in our own country is very difficult, but I also think how do we display ourselves? How do we present ourselves as women?

"What are we asking? Are we asking for it by presenting all the sensuality and all the sexuality?"
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41564931

So by designing clothes to presumably make women more attractive, she has been knowingly helping them to invite and incite sexual assault?

Donna Karan, a western Jewish fashion designer, actually thinks the Saudi's, Iranians, Afghans and other Moslem peoples that oppress women and dictate clothing for them such as the burka, have actually got it right? Men can't help themselves when faced with an attractive woman so you have to fully cover up the meat in order to keep the flies off?

What next Donna, paedophiles can hardly be blamed for their actions when small children do so much to make themselves seem cute and innocent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

George clooney has spoken on the matter and also claims he knew nothing of the rumours

Self-serving spin imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Jessica Chastain seems to be the one who has any balls. She said everyone knew what was going on and that there's a culture of abuse in Hollywood.

On second thoughts though it's not very ballsy to speak out only when it's financially safe for you to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

tara73 wrote: »
    sorry? no gender issue? what is this if not a gender issue? do you hear of any men speak up about being abused by this Weinstein or any other of this scum in power?
    I havn't heard of. Please let us know which men that are!

Also the victim blaming here is quite unbearable. Saying it's the peoples own fault they get sexually harrassed because they would like to make a career in film and might have the wish to become famous?? And this gives this Weinstein and his friends the right to sexually harrass women?
    What a crazy, sick, twisted, arrogant attitude.

I presume you work, yes? So how would you feel if you need to find a new job and at the interview the boss says you can go up his room, the bed is all fresh and ready for you both!! And then you say to yourself: oh, my fault I applied for this job..

I meant exploitation in Hollywood isn’t a gender issue. Read the accounts by Elijah Wood and Corey Feldman. Exploitation is rife in Hollywood and women aren’t the only victims. That was my point.

Victim-blaming? Give me strength. I wasn’t just talking about Harvey Weinstein, it was clearly a more general comment.

I’ve been defending women against Weinstein in this thread. Wind your neck in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Someone said this is only happening to women, but wasn't Travolta caught asking some guy to suck him off a few years back.

His excuse was he had to do it in his career too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

I know a man who worked as a stunt man in Hollywood in the late 90s, dream job but he packed it in pretty quickly because of the things he saw going on, not even at parties, on set. And I don't mean groping, I don't mean creeps like Weinstein holding young actresses' careers hostage for sexual favours or just playing sick power games (Romola Garai's story is infuriating), I mean abuse of children by very famous and well regarded men, actively, materially facilitated by others and carried out blatantly. According to this guy it wasn't fear for his career that stopped him speaking out, it was fear for his safety. All he could do was leave and not be part of it.

There's one particular actor he described as evil.

Is it Kirk Douglas? I heard some nasty things about him...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Is it Kirk Douglas? I heard some nasty things about him...

A bit after his time

mikeysmith wrote: »
    A bit after his time

You can name someone here, and even go into a little bit of detail as long as you write "allegedly".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

allegedly wasnt there something about Colin Farrell having to do the casting couch?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

silverharp wrote: »
    allegedly wasnt there something about Colin Farrell having to do the casting couch?

Yes. Rumours of a casting couch tryst with an American actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

mikeysmith wrote: »
    George clooney has spoken on the matter and also claims he knew nothing of the rumours

Self-serving spin imo

Well gwyneth paltrow and Angelina Jolie have now come forward with their own Weinstein stories. Those are 2 exes of his good friend and production partner Brad Pitt, who apparently had words with Weinstein after paltrow confided in him. And we are supposed to believe he knew nothing? Hmm

According to rumours, Clooney has his own skeletons in the closet. Allegedly. Probably suits him to plead ignorance.

Now an audio recording has been released where Weinstein admits to sexually assaulting a woman.

Incredibly, despite this apparent slam dunk case, the Manhattan District Attorney’s office decided not to file charges:

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/917765408412794880/video/1

Edit: It was the NYPD who fitted the victim with the secret microphone, and the DA still declined to press charges!

Just wait and see who the DA has political connections to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think Donna Karan, New York fashion designer, takes the cake for irony in this matter.

She said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41564931

So by designing clothes to presumably make women more attractive, she has been knowingly helping them to invite and incite sexual assault?

Donna Karan, a western Jewish fashion designer, actually thinks the Saudi's, Iranians, Afghans and other Moslem peoples that oppress women and dictate clothing for them such as the burka, have actually got it right? Men can't help themselves when faced with an attractive woman so you have to fully cover up the meat in order to keep the flies off?

What next Donna, paedophiles can hardly be blamed for their actions when small children do so much to make themselves seem cute and innocent?

She could also get an award for word salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

Billy86 wrote: »
    Trumps has sexually harassed and abused plenty of women, and his own wife stands over him sexually assaulting her during their marriage too. Doesn't make Weinstein any less of a scumbag but let's not pretend the president of the US is any better.
    No, there were just accusations, that ... just as a pure co-incidence :rolleyes: ... came out between the time of the Republican Primaries and the General Election. Just pure chance that these accusations came out at a particular juncture. :o

As for "Crooked Hillary" Clinton, Juanita Broaddrick and a few others had been accusing her intimidating them into silence for many years having been (allegedly) raped by Bill previously. These women have been consistent in their allegations going back decades. i.e. they didn't just start accusing Hillary of this between the Democratic Primaries and the General Election.

That too, I am sure, is mere co-incidence :rolleyes:

If you say that Donald Trump's alleged victims are telling the truth while Juanita Broaddrick, Paula Jones and others are liars, then that smacks of double standards. Precisely the kind of double standards that let Harvey Weinstein get away with it for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SeanW wrote: »
    No, there were just accusations, that ... just as a pure co-incidence :rolleyes: ... came out between the time of the Republican Primaries and the General Election. Just pure chance that these accusations came out at a particular juncture. :o
    He has been up in court multiple times with different women going all the way back to the 1980s for raping his wife and was also known to invite himself into the women's dressing rooms back to the 1990s, maybe he was even in on the scheme himself!?

The guy is a scumbag just like Weinstein in this regard, don't expect him to want to clean this kind of stuff up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

Billy86 wrote: »
    He has been up in court multiple times with different women going all the way back to the 1980s for raping his wife and was also known to invite himself into the women's dressing rooms back to the 1990s, maybe he was even in on the scheme himself!?

The guy is a scumbag just like Weinstein in this regard, don't expect him to want to clean this kind of stuff up.
    Interesting. So what's your take on the accusations by Juanita Broaddrick among others? Especially as they relate (allegedly) to a political cover-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SeanW wrote: »
    Interesting. So what's your take on the accusations by Juanita Broaddrick among others? Especially as they relate (allegedly) to a political cover-up.
    There could well be truth behind them too, but it doesn't do much towards Trump not being the man to expect to make efforts to clean up this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 5ive

Yes. Rumours of a casting couch tryst with an American actor.

Couldn't believe this but apparently laughable common knowledge among journo circles..... explains the colossal jump from Ballyk lad to Hollywood superstar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

5ive wrote: »
    Couldn't believe this but apparently laughable common knowledge among journo circles..... explains the colossal jump from Ballyk lad to Hollywood superstar!

May also explain the serious substance abuse issues later on in his career...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I meant exploitation in Hollywood isn’t a gender issue. Read the accounts by Elijah Wood and Corey Feldman. Exploitation is rife in Hollywood and women aren’t the only victims. That was my point.

Victim-blaming? Give me strength. I wasn’t just talking about Harvey Weinstein, it was clearly a more general comment.

I’ve been defending women against Weinstein in this thread. Wind your neck in.

Terry Crews has posted on twitter about an experience of his

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLzWUswV4AAoyNr.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLzWVyZV4AAnxlN.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLzWWwBVQAA99b2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

For as long as there have been couches and casting of roles this has been a practice. Hell the rot set in before women were allowed on stage I imagine. The only shock here is that anyone is shocked or even bothering to pretend to be shocked.

The hand-wringing articles that are being written have all the revelatory insight of declaring that the world is a sphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

David Icke said that for years was happening in the elite institutions in our societies and no one batted an eyelid. Said the same about Jimmy Saville and so on. And now look, it's all true. People probably don't realize just how dark this goes and what is really happening in the world of entertainment and in general.

Aye. Judy Garland was Hollywood property from an early age. What occurred on the set of The Wizard of Oz would depress you to read. She was basically drugged up to her eyeballs for the duration of that movie. All in the name of money that she never saw.

anna080 wrote: »
    Aye. Judy Garland was Hollywood property from an early age. What occurred on the set of The Wizard of Oz would depress you to read. She was basically drugged up to her eyeballs for the duration of that movie.

Ah, no. :(

It's just all so sleazy and sad, isn't it? So depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Aye, it's fcuking bad enough now, imagine what it was like when the studios actually 'owned' the actors.

Candie wrote: »
    Ah, no. :(

It's just all so sleazy and sad, isn't it? So depressing.

Did you not know about that? I thought it was common knowledge!

• Advertisement

I’ve read stuff about Charlie Chaplin and casting couches that is not good. It’s in the mists of time though so who really knows?

Advertisement