Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

see he's in the new predator movie??? DOH

I just saw some of this on the news today. Why didn't these women come forward when it happened so countless others wouldn't be raped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I just saw some of this on the news today. Why didn't these women come forward when it happened so countless others wouldn't be raped?
    Really?

Pelvis wrote: »
    Really?

Really what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Really what?

What happened to the women who spoke out or refused advances is publicly available information. It was enough do discourage others from doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

They finally got him.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/25/entertainment/harvey-weinstein-to-surrender/index.html

I hope they throw the book at him. It must surely serve time for this. Even the best lawyer couldn't get him off on these charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Guys how in the **** is R.Kelly still walking around freely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

His alleged victims clearly don't have the same clout as Weinstein's.

Weinstein was walking free for decades and no-one could touch him. Many of his victims could be considered wealthy and powerful although they were largely dependent on him for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Do you believe he should fly? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ah it’s all dying down now. I reckon apart from a few twitter campaigners nobody will bat an eyelid.
    A creepy 80 year old man who inappropriately flirted with a few women. Hardly crime of the century.
    50 people on twitter will be outraged and then a few hundred or thousand people will feign outrage hoping to get followers. A few people will make quality Morgan freeman sex jokes then everybody will move on.

Nobody will bat an eyelid?

It’s all over every news report and station.

Numerous sponsorships lost, two public apologies and the possibility of a lifetime achievement award being revoked.

It would seem the bigger world views these allegations as a bit more than “inappropriate flirting”.

If there was no truth in the allegations , I’m sure CNN would be sued by Morgan Freeman’s legal machine, however, the response seems to be quite telling. Morgan Freeman is adamant there was no sexual favours for furthering careers offered, and I take that at face value.

It’s a real shame for such a talented person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

anewme wrote: »
    Nobody will bat an eyelid?

It’s all over every news report and station.

Numerous sponsorships lost, two public apologies and the possibility of a lifetime achievement award being revoked.

It would seem the bigger world views these allegations as a bit more than “inappropriate flirting”.

If there was no truth in the allegations , I’m sure CNN would be sued by Morgan Freeman’s legal machine, however, the response seems to be quite telling. Morgan Freeman is adamant there was no sexual favours for furthering careers offered, and I take that at face value.

It’s a real shame for such a talented person.

It’ll blow over unless more comes out. He’s hardly Kevin Spacey

It’ll blow over unless more comes out. He’s hardly Kevin Spacey

Not sure really.

Agreed could go one way or the other depending on what happens next.

It’s not gone well so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Weinstein was arrested and charged with rape, a criminal sex act, sex abuse, and sexual misconduct, could face up to 25 years in prison if convicted, he is out on $1m bail

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-44264495

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Not sure really.

Agreed could go one way or the other depending on what happens next.

It’s not gone well so far.

One could argue minorities tend to get viewed harsher than non-minorities-I don't think I would agree with that argument however.

It's Morgan Freeman-he's always been viewed as one of the nicest individuals. So this was a major surprise. I suppose for us it would be like finding out Gay Byrne dealt drugs to the Billie Barry kids to keep them going on every toy show.

One could argue minorities tend to get viewed harsher than non-minorities-I don't think I would agree with that argument however.

It's Morgan Freeman-he's always been viewed as one of the nicest individuals. So this was a major surprise. I suppose for us it would be like finding out Gay Byrne dealt drugs to the Billie Barry kids to keep them going on every toy show.

I don't think it's a minority thing either.

Agree it's more the shock as you say - has always been seen as one of the good guys. Heros fall harder from grace. The guy played God. Plus he is a really big name. One of the biggest. It's a big story.

I find it a bit of a shock myself to be honest.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's a minority thing either.

Agree it's more the shock as you say - has always been seen as one of the good guys. Heros fall harder from grace. The guy played God. Plus he is a really big name. One of the biggest. It's a big story.

I find it a bit of a shock myself to be honest.

Ever notice that the womanisers-as in the ones who are known to date a ton of women, never get these kinds of stories?
    It's nearly always the folks you can trust-supposedly.

Especially the 'feminist's'-guys who claim to be feminists, but are often quite creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Ever notice that the womanisers-as in the ones who are known to date a ton of women, never get these kinds of stories?
    It's nearly always the folks you can trust-supposedly.

Especially the 'feminist's'-guys who claim to be feminists, but are often quite creepy.

There is some truth in this. The womanizers get away with it because they are generally more attractive to women. It’s all so fickle and really is just a distraction from real issues. James Franco as an example; I would be shocked if his career ended up destroyed despite the allegations.

There is some truth in this. The womanizers get away with it because they are generally more attractive to women. It’s all so fickle and really is just a distraction from real issues. James Franco as an example; I would be shocked if his career ended up destroyed despite the allegations.

Well, Jack Nicholson is no looker-but he didn't treat women like crap. Relationships broke down, for sure, but there was no smacking around.

The accusations against Franco were douchey at best-nothing like Weinstein or Spacey. Aziz Anzari I think is probably in danger of losing his career more-mainly because he's always called himself a 'feminist'. And the story told is pretty beyond 'bad sex'-he clearly didn't listen to her.
    Ditto Louis CK, he always acted as this feminist-often doing the 'men are the biggest killers of women'.
    George Takei should have been destroyed-but he's since 'been forgiven' because he runs with the right crowd, seemingly.

Franco never portrayed himself as anything more than scroungy, unkempt fellow. He didn't do the feminist angle at all.

Jeffrey Tambor is going to be in Arrested Development's next series-despite having to leave Transparent because of his borderline sexual assault on a trans-woman. And apparently he made his co-star's life hell with violent outbursts.
    But he's never portrayed the 'nice' guy either.

Despite one allegation against Franken, there are apparently more in the pipeline-and I don't see him making a comeback, either acting or politics wise-that photo he posed for was enough to finish him.

The folks who made themselves out to be 'the good guys', and put themselves on pedestals really setting themselves up for falls.

Plus Morgan Freeman's star would eclipse all of the rest put together.

Apart from Jack Nicholson, of course, who I don't recall having any bad press. Despite not being a looker as you say, he'd strike you As being highly intelligent and interesting, I could see the attraction to be honest.

Morgan Freeman is really a household name, where you could not say that about some of the others. There's one or two named above that I don't know who they are and probably no loss by the sounds of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

He has his second film out soon since the latest round of accusations started on him.
    It won’t matter until he loses his looks then he will be a monster. It’s rediculous really how it works.

• Advertisement

Apart from Jack Nicholson, of course, who I don't recall having any bad press. Despite not being a looker as you say, he'd strike you As being highly intelligent and interesting, I could see the attraction to be honest.

Morgan Freeman is really a household name, where you could not say that about some of the others. There's one or two named above that I don't know who they are and probably no loss by the sounds of them.

Yeah-he flirted with twenty something Jennifer Lawrence when she won an Oscar-and she seemed quite taken-so he's got charm. (Big fan of cartoon characters too-used to be a runner and letter boy for one of those animation studios). He's generally worked his butt off to get where he is-so I don't think he'd throw it away for some jerkish behaviour.

The rest-you'd probably not know the names, but you'd know the faces.

I remember comedian Dane Cook used to have his defenders, when he still had his looks. This despite him stealing material, and some 'metoo' level crap that he pulled on his movie sets. (Having actresses film nude sex scenes with him-despite the scenes not being in the script or included in the film. Jessica Alba outed that behaviour on the Good Luck Chuck set. (Nothing happened to her, she discovered it from the other actresses, I believe)). He hasn't gotten the same treatment as Louis CK, but that's probably because he has no respect in the circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Has had a couple of incidents including beating a prostitute.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2000/may/15/news1

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Has had a couple of incidents including beating a prostitute.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2000/may/15/news1

Okay, that is bizarre.

(The rupturing the breast implants sounds like a bizarre accident-I dunno if I would include that with domestic violence. It's in the link if anyone wants to know what I mean).

From reading the prostitute story, it doesn't appear he paid her anything else after the 32 000 dollars, and he may have settled to take the dirt off of him as he was nominated for an Oscar at the time, and didn't want the negativity to distract from the film.

Speculation, obviously, but her claims she was dying seem a little exaggerated.

The white whale has finally been harpooned :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Oddly enough Dane Cook is starting to resemble Harvey lately.

Oddly enough Dane Cook is starting to resemble Harvey lately.

I have no idea who this person is, but I googled him this evening and I came to the same conclusion. He looks the exact same as HW.

Definitely not good looking in any way. interesting he has a 19 year old girlfriend training to break into the industry.

Hmmmmm

The white whale has finally been harpooned :)

Which one?

I have no idea who this person is, but I googled him this evening and I came to the same conclusion. He loojdctge sane as HW.

Definitely not good looking in any way. interesting he has a 19 year old girlfriend training to break into the industry.

Hmmmmm

He's not good looking now-the career dried up too.

But there was a time he was a guy who looked after himself, and had a genuine talent. Then he became a douche, and started stealing material.

Dane_Cook.jpg

After that he was no better than Dennis Leary.

When I googled him, this quote from his twitter feed came up.(2012)

Dear fat person at the gym for the last 3 years straight who people still describe as “the fat one.”
    Something’s just not working.

Pure case of Karma if there ever was one.

Which one?
    The elusive Harvey. He seems to have lost weight, probably has been sweating buckets over a possible stint in prison.

• Advertisement

Seeing a lot of people mention George Takei still and thought it is worth sharing this:

http://observer.com/2018/05/george-takei-accuser-scott-brunton-changed-his-story-of-drugs-assault/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=social+flow&utm_medium=social

For decades, he explained, his night with Takei had been a funny tale, “a great party story,” as he put it.

The elusive Harvey. He seems to have lost weight, probably has been sweating buckets over a possible stint in prison.

Well- he has manboobs, I'd imagine they're a hot commodity in prison...

Remember this?

https://movieweb.com/max-landis-accused-sexual-misconduct-abuse/

Note one of those 'calling out' Max Landis as an accused abuser-Siobhan Thompson.

Well, she's teamed up with a well known abuser and serial cheater, Joss Whedon.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/joss-whedon-freeform-pippa-smith-siobhan-thompson-rebecca-drysdale-1202830615/#article-comments

Me Too, My butt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Remember this?

https://movieweb.com/max-landis-accused-sexual-misconduct-abuse/

Note one of those 'calling out' Max Landis as an accused abuser-Siobhan Thompson.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/joss-whedon-freeform-pippa-smith-siobhan-thompson-rebecca-drysdale-1202830615/#article-comments

Me Too, My butt.

That show sounds absolutely atrocious.

And now Chris Hardwick is accused of emotional and sexual abuse as well as rape.

https://medium.com/@skydart/rose-colored-glasses-6be0594970ca

I saw him one night on @Midnight-could never understand my uneasiness about the guy-he was trying too hard to be likable. I guess this answers it.

(Another guy who claimed to be a feminist, too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Whedon cheated on his wife but abuser?

Earthhorse wrote:
    Whedon cheated on his wife but abuser?

Think it's more that he used a position of power to get sex from up and coming actresses. A lot of what he did is comparable to Weinstein, sex in exchange for career progression.

He has a reputation of being **** toward women, his treatment of Charisma Carpenter when she got pregnant for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Think it's more that he used a position of power to get sex from up and coming actresses. A lot of what he did is comparable to Weinstein, sex in exchange for career progression.

He has a reputation of being **** toward women, his treatment of Charisma Carpenter when she got pregnant for example.

One thing being a silly **** towards an actress who became pregnant and another to say he used his position to coerce sex. One is far more graver than the other.

Whedon's ex made the accusations but the key thing is that as far as I'm aware, no one has come out to back up her claims.....and it's not like there's a shortage of actresses that have worked with him.

Whedon's ex made the accusations but the key thing is that as far as I'm aware, no one has come out to back up her claims.....and it's not like there's a shortage of actresses that have worked with him.

He never denied them and his reply was how dare she do this to our family.

• Advertisement

He never denied them and his reply was how dare she do this to our family.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

And now Chris Hardwick is accused of emotional and sexual abuse as well as rape.

https://medium.com/@skydart/rose-colored-glasses-6be0594970ca

I saw him one night on @Midnight-could never understand my uneasiness about the guy-he was trying too hard to be likable. I guess this answers it.

(Another guy who claimed to be a feminist, too)
    Our relationship started out poorly. Within 2 weeks, rules were quickly established. Some of these included:

I “should not want to go somewhere at night”. My nights were expected to be reserved for him, as he had a busy schedule. This alienated me from my friends.
    I was to not have close male friends unless we worked together. All photos of male friends were to be removed from my apartment. This was heartbreaking for me, as my best friend happened to be male.
    As he was sober, I was not to drink alcohol. Before we began dating he said, “I noticed you have a glass of wine with dinner. That’s going to stop.”
    I was not to speak in public places (elevators, cars with drivers, restaurants where tables were too close) as he believed that people recognized him and were listening to our conversations. Our dinners out were usually silent, him on his phone.
    I wasn’t allowed to take a photo of us. (Eventually, he softened on this rule, but was very stern about me asking permission.)
    These were just a few of them. And I made the choice to accept his controlling behavior, as he’d just left his long-term girlfriend and I assumed that he was going through some serious emotional discomfort. This was a huge mistake.

I don't understand why she would stay with him if they'd only been going out together 2 weeks and he started talking about these rules :confused::confused:

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't understand why she would stay with him if they'd only been going out together 2 weeks and he started talking about these rules :confused::confused:

She, by her own admission, has/ had daddy issues.

Her dad is John Dykstra, the two-time Oscar winning Special Effects artist who worked on the original Star Wars films, the Sam Raimi Spider-man movies, as well as more recent movies like Ghost in the Shell, and Kong Skull Island.

I imagine he wasn't home a lot, so she developed a need for a 'father figure/ boyfriend'.
    Pretty girl-just not that strong mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

CatFromHue wrote: »

Is yer man famous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is it not normal to use your position to get laid?

Bambi wrote: »
    Is yer man famous?

Founder of Nerdist, often did tv shows, and had acting roles in a number of films, including Lego Batman.

Has a large media empire-online, websites, tv shows etc. A number of his writers are already leaving.

Not when you're dating and/ or in a relationship. Also not normal to blame the patriarchy either.

Especially with children involved too.
    One thing being a silly **** towards an actress who became pregnant and another to say he used his position to coerce sex. One is far more graver than the other.

I sincerely doubt an actress will come forward to admit they slept their way to a career-but you only have to look at how many actresses he worked with who faded into oblivion after working with him to make you question how they 'got ahead'. He gave Carpenter a ton of crap for posing for Playboy as well.

The language he used afterwards was described as 'predatory' for want of a better word. Similar to Weinstein, and similar to Trump...

No surprise he was 'pushed' off of Batgirl- his 'woke bae' attitude wasn't enough to get fans not to want him on the film, and his fansite shutdown too.

• Advertisement

Not when there is an implication that in order to secure a better part you need to sleep with someone. Using a position of power to leverage sex in exchange for work is not acceptable, imagine a Dunne's manager making a staff member have sex with them in order to get a better work shift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yes that story surfaced 2 days ago and then lo and behold the next day it's in the news that Spacey has had more allegations made against him in the UK. Hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Looks like everybody's favourite feminist Politician "Peoplekind" Trudeau could be in trouble.

Allegedly groped a female reporter at an event back in 2000.

As the Vice article says, he fired two liberal MPs that were accused of Sexual Misconduct.

Will he step down? Will he like f.....

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/evkjba/justin-trudeau-has-little-to-say-about-the-allegation-that-he-groped-a-reporter

Looks like everybody's favourite feminist Politician "Peoplekind" Trudeau could be in trouble.

Allegedly groped a female reporter at an event back in 2000.

As the Vice article says, he fired two liberal MPs that were accused of Sexual Misconduct.

Will he step down? Will he like f.....

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/evkjba/justin-trudeau-has-little-to-say-about-the-allegation-that-he-groped-a-reporter

Only comments I saw were 'oh look, his look was so early 2000s'...ugh.

Nothing about the woman, etc. Never trust a feminist, they'll cave in on their 'ideals' pretty quickly.
    Trudeau, Dunham, Whedon, Scarlett Johanssen etc etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement