Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

anewme wrote: »
    I have no idea who this person is, but I googled him this evening and I came to the same conclusion. He looks the exact same as HW.

Definitely not good looking in any way. interesting he has a 19 year old girlfriend training to break into the industry.

Hmmmmm

First I heard of him as well but yeah he's the head off of him. Same horrible pockmarked skin and creepy eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Only comments I saw were 'oh look, his look was so early 2000s'...ugh.

Nothing about the woman, etc. Never trust a feminist, they'll cave in on their 'ideals' pretty quickly.
    Trudeau, Dunham, Whedon, Scarlett Johanssen etc etc.

Never trust a man that openly and repeatedly calls themselves a Male Feminist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not one bit surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Never trust a man that openly and repeatedly calls themselves a Male Feminist.

It's why I never trust feminists-end of. No gender rules, just blanket non-trust.

Case in Point-Lena Dunham's siding with many alleged rapists against their victims, Jennifer Lawrence crying 'I'm a feminist...' then she does a movie that was summed up as 'Jennifer Lawrence goes to whore school to learn to become a whore', or Taylor Swift's hiding behind feminism while she bullies women with her songs.

What a nonsense argument, you don't trust Jennifer Lawrence because she starred in a film about a Russian spy and somehow think that her taking an interesting role is her betraying her beliefs.

What a nonsense argument, you don't trust Jennifer Lawrence because she starred in a film about a Russian spy and somehow think that her taking an interesting role is her betraying her beliefs.

The film was about as interesting as a dose of nappy rash. It was her lame attempts to justify the film, as well as a very revealing dress, that made me go 'yeah, she's not trying to appeal to a non-audience'.

The film was about as interesting as a dose of nappy rash. It was her lame attempts to justify the film, as well as a very revealing dress, that made me go 'yeah, she's not trying to appeal to a non-audience'.

For what it was it's decent enough fare but I don't see how her starring in it in any way contradicts her beliefs. I don't even like Lawrence and find her very fake but if you start judging an actor by the roles they take than it gets tricky. Would you be happier if she wore a giant coat to cover her figure and started to appeal to people who have no interest in her or her films, would that make her more or less of a feminist?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

https://usa.spectator.co.uk/2018/07/harvey-weinstein-i-offered-acting-jobs-in-exchange-for-sex-but-so-does-everyone-they-still-do/
    You were born rich and privileged and you were handsome. I was born poor, ugly, Jewish and had to fight all my life to get somewhere. You got lotsa girls, no girl looked at me until I made it big in Hollywood. Yes, I did offer them acting jobs in exchange for sex, but so did and still does everyone.

Weinstein is a product of society. He became a bigwig in Hollywood and suddenly noticed women approaching him, he realised he had a posiiton of power over women and abused it but it was women who gave him this sense of power. It is what it is.

shakeitoff wrote: »
    https://usa.spectator.co.uk/2018/07/harvey-weinstein-i-offered-acting-jobs-in-exchange-for-sex-but-so-does-everyone-they-still-do/

Weinstein is a product of society. He became a bigwig in Hollywood and suddenly noticed women approaching him, he realised he had a posiiton of power over women and abused it but it was women who gave him this sense of power. It is what it is.

Yes and no-he got that sense of power, for sure, but along the way the power corrupted him. If two consenting adults go at it, fine, whatever-if they're in relationships with other people, it makes em scummy, for sure.

But the allegations against Weinstein go beyond 'acting jobs for sex'...we're talking rape, violating someone's body, no consent at all given.

But I also think many within the 'movement' used it to boost their own profiles. Rose McGowan was taking another payment, and is now trying to play the 'feminist' angle.
    Asia Argento's boyfriend, Anthony Bourdain, took his own life-did Argento herself do anything to help him while he stood by her? Doubtful.

Look at the rage when Henry Cavill said he fears being called a rapist and folks went apespit over that. He's got a high profile, he's getting acting gigs. He knows that one false accusation can kill his career.
    And yet he's the one being demonised.

No wonder aliens don't want to come near us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He says Harvey reached out to him and all he has are two quotes? Strange. You'd expect one hell of a long piece from any journo giving a one to one with Harvey right now. A million questions to put to him, even if he may not answer some and skirt around others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

So what if she wears a dress that you consider too revealing? It doesn't negate her views and it's a pretty silly thing to use against her.

Weinstein is the man who was in a position of power and abused that power. Is accused of attempted rapes etc and blacklisted those that resisted him. But you're blaming the women?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jared Leto called out for liking them young by Dylan Sprouse and James Gunn

Looks like karma came calling for Jim.....

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1020408604191592449

Hard to feel he's been harshly treated given that he felt it was just fine for Roseanne to be fired recently enough.

Dilj5HJVAAAC6Av.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

She was fired as an immediate reaction to an offensive comment made against another specific person.

Gunn was fired retroactively for decade old, terrible-taste jokes - not that surprisingly either, considering his entire film background is based in utter bad-taste schlock (like working with Troma).

They're hardly directly comparable. I do think Gunn's gotten a very raw deal here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

She was fired as an immediate reaction to an offensive comment made against another specific person.

Gunn was fired retroactively for decade old, terrible-taste jokes - not that surprisingly either, considering his entire film background is based in utter bad-taste schlock (like working with Troma).

They're hardly directly comparable. I do think Gunn's gotten a very raw deal here.

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas. Gunn happily encouraged a new wave of puritanism sweeping the US. I don't have sympathy when he falls victim to the mob he whipped up and sent after others.

Hard to feel sympathy for him, when he was acting like a 'moral guardian'. These tweets were from a period of three years, 2008 to 2011, and some are heinous. People said he apologised for em, but he kept making the same disturbing jokes over the course of three years.

Roseanne got fired for one despicable tweet-he had several...you cannot claim to have a moral conscience and then say stupid s**t like this.

Al Franken condemned Trump for his 'grab em by the 'genital's' comment-then he was photographed groping a sleeping model. :rolleyes:
    Looks like karma came calling for Jim.....

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1020408604191592449

Hard to feel he's been harshly treated given that he felt it was just fine for Roseanne to be fired recently enough.

Dilj5HJVAAAC6Av.jpg

Yeah, he was a dope. He made allegations against Jared Leto without evidence. Then someone finds tons of evidence showing him to have a p**s-poor morality, and suddenly he's the victim.

I found this article pretty interesting. Seems Hollywood sowed the seeds of their own fall from grace.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/dave-bautista-guardians-of-the-galaxy-james-gunn-amy-powell-1202430859/

Words can get you fired, so of course many are trying to find offensive tweets now, in case of firing.

Looks like Dan Harmon, creator of Community and Rick and Morty, is up next.

(No offensive material shown, but there is a video-and that's not linked in this tweet).

https://twitter.com/MargaretsBelly/status/1021161737809260546

Oh ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/09/casey-affleck-me-too-interview

The actor also discussed his own role in the #MeToo movement, and how he feels it’s best for him to contribute. “In this business women have been underrepresented and underpaid and objectified and diminished and humiliated and belittled in a bazillion ways and just generally had a mountain of grief thrown at them forever,” he said. “And I know just enough to know that in general I need to keep my mouth shut and listen and try to figure out what’s going on and be a supporter and a follower in the little, teeny tiny ways that I can.”

https://hosted.ap.org/bendbulletin/article/e50db6e255364f7da01412a6734a3685/qa-casey-affleck-new-film-his-oscars-absence-and-metoo

• Advertisement

Welp, turns out Asia Argento paid a 17 year old almost 400 thousand dollars in a settlement after an alleged encounter.

So a possible hypocrite within the Metoo movement? Wouldn't be the first one.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/asia-argento-settlement-reactions-1202909880/

That's the kid from The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things, seen it years back, she plays his mom in it.

Instagram sceencaps being posted of the day she had sex with him, with her saying it was the best day of her life.

The muted response from the media is predictable of course and many suggesting that it's just really a knock on effect from how men have mistreated young actresses.....

The reaction of course would be far different had a 38 year old successful actor plied a 17 year old girl with alcohol and had sex with them, promising them lucrative roles in the future. That she paid him $380,000 must mean that there was a good chance of her been found guilty of statutory rape at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

#metoofaced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Welp, turns out Asia Argento paid a 17 year old almost 400 thousand dollars in a settlement after an alleged encounter.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/asia-argento-settlement-reactions-1202909880/
    Wasn’t she quite aggressively threatening the audience at Cannes this year that all abusers needed to ready themselves to being exposed and punished?

Wonder did she mean herself? Not that she has much of a career to lose.

#metoo is witch hunt bullsh1t. Won’t be long before that movement eats itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

What a cluster****. Hollywood and celebrity culture in general just seems to be a cesspool of abuse, lies and manipulation. You dont know who to believe. Its like the Tour de France at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

was she also the partner of Anthony Bourdain , the celebrity cook who died by suicide in the summer ??

• Advertisement

Yeah, people are going to be asking about if that was a cause.

Yeah, she was photographed with another guy a few days beforehand but according to Rose McGowan, Asia and Bourdain had an open relationship.... hhmm.

https://pagesix.com/2018/06/12/paparazzo-who-snapped-asia-argento-with-french-reporter-regrets-shots/

Anyway, here's that tweet from the day she allegedly had sex with the young actor.

https://twitter.com/AsiaArgento/status/332562877682683905

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Cant remember if I got this link from this thread or somewhere else so apologies if already posted

https://penthouse.com/pages/asia-argento/Toxic-Femininity.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

xtal191 wrote: »
    Cant remember if I got this link from this thread or somewhere else so apologies if already posted

https://penthouse.com/pages/asia-argento/Toxic-Femininity.php

Explosive stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

ettumetoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

It must be discomfiting to know that should a woman be in a position of power or influence as was the case with Argento that abuse of that power can and will happen as well. It doesn't matter what gender or orientation you are. This movement highlights that the vast majority of these positions happen to be inhabited by men (some of whom abuse it for sexual favors, abuse, gratification etc) and should there be quite rightly be more women in these positions it is naive to think women wouldn't abuse positions of power. for sexual favors and gratification either. Argento's case illustrates this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Not to take focus away from Argento but McGowan really annoyed me in the wake of Bourdain’s suicide. That stupid, attention-seeking video she released where she basically called him selfish. Such a damaging idea to advance. For him to let go of self-preservation and kill himself, he was obviously in the absolute horrors. And how well did she even know him anyway? They were probably just acquaintances but she saw a chance for attention-seeking and took it. Sorry Rose, only his true loved ones are allowed any outbursts in the aftermath, not some Hollyweird “friend”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

valoren wrote: »
    It must be discomfiting to know that should a woman be in a position of power or influence as was the case with Argento that abuse of that power can and will happen as well. It doesn't matter what gender or orientation you are. This movement highlights that the vast majority of these positions happen to be inhabited by men (some of whom abuse it for sexual favors) and should there be quite rightly be more women in these positions it is naive to think women wouldn't abuse positions of power. for sexual favors and gratification either. Argento's case illustrates this.

This is it. But naturally the usual suspects are just posting about the movement being hypocritical.

Asia isn’t either a victim or a perpetrator, in this case she might well be both. Those things don’t cancel each other out due to hypocrisy. Is she statutory raped the guy, it doesn’t mean she wasn’t also sexually abused by Weinstein.

PS we’ll prob never know what happened in this case if there was a non disclosure agreement involved. Likewise we’ll probably never know about a whole lot of abuse in lots of circumstance.

I can’t understand the opposition to metoo. It has highlighted two potential cases of abuse involving Asia alone.

That's the kid from The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things, seen it years back, she plays his mom in it.

Instagram sceencaps being posted of the day she had sex with him, with her saying it was the best day of her life.

The muted response from the media is predictable of course and many suggesting that it's just really a knock on effect from how men have mistreated young actresses.....

Well, it's on the RTE home page, and Rose McGowan has already cut ties with her.

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/rose-mcgowan-asia-argento-sexual-assault-accusation-1202909955/

It's interesting you mention 'The heart is deceitful'... there's a movie coming out about the scandal surrounding that book-'Jeremiah Terminator Leroy'. Kristen Stewart plats JT Leroy.

But the real 'behind the scenes' is Author: The JT LeRoy Story.

It chronicles the writer Laura Albert's creation of 'JT Leroy'-a fictional character who she made 'real' with the aid of Savannah Snoop. Albert wrote the stories, claimed it was fact, and suddenly the book became hugely popular with 'celebs' who worshipped JT (aka Savannah Snoop, a woman in drag and a Warhol like wig). Albert pretended to be JT's groupie, as well as going around with a horrendous 'British' accent-that nobody questioned. (A very thorough investigation by a journalist, a year or so before the film's release, uncovered the deceit. Hence the film barely getting a release, and bombing upon being released).

What's interesting about the documentary is Asia Argento's role in it. Argento 'desperately' wanted to direct and star in the movie of the book. So she set about seducing 'JT'-who was claiming to be a trans individual (the book claims his mother mutilated his genitals, and JT underwent vaginaplasty). She plied 'him' with drugs and alcohol, and had sex with 'him' many times. (She tried to get her name, as well as the messages she left JT on his answering machine, removed from the above documentary).

Asia always struck me as someone who wasn't telling the whole story. Guess we know that's true, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

https://mobile.twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/1031535197433602048

The absolute double standard of McGowan here is infuriating, where last time around she was...

https://m.imgur.com/2DqgFIl

Believe the accusers....As long as they are woman!

sexmag wrote: »

The absolute double standard of McGowan here is infuriating, where last time around she was...

McGowan is a well known hypocrite at this point. She was going to take a payment from Harvey, again, but for this whole story coming out.

I have to wonder what Bourdain was going thru, and if there are more victims of Argento. Also, while she paid him out in 2013, are we sure he was even 17 when it happened? Could have been even younger.

Either way, it's incredibly scummy. She has a famous dad, I imagine he helped keep much of this quiet. Dear gawd, these folks were screaming from the heavens over Woody Allen, Casey Affleck and so on-now they've discovered a rat amongst them.

And to put things in perspective even more, one of Asia's daughters is the same age as Jimmy Bennett was when the abuse allegedly happened.

Lena Dunham was the same-believe the accusers, until they're friends of hers or the victim is a person of colour.

And one of her 'friends' was well known creep Terry Richardson.

http://www.thejournal.ie/asia-argento-hush-money-sexual-assault-4190741-Aug2018/

So the Journal described the teenager who Argento assaulted and paid off as a 'man'...

Just...no.

Dear gawd, these folks were screaming from the heavens over Woody Allen, Casey Affleck and so on-now they've discovered a rat amongst them.

What’s wrong with finding out ‘there’s a rat amongst them’? It’s hardy their fault if one amongst them is a rat?

I’m struggling to see the reason for the outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Wow hypocrisy in the Hollywood elite, the scandal.

Well, that tweet hasn’t gone down well, which is good. One of the first replies (which is by a woman, Samantha Acampora) criticises her and has double the likes and retweets of Rose’s tweet. I feel like sense is breaking through...

• Advertisement

Anyhoo, it doesn’t surprise me that young lads are being taken advantage of too. Hollywood is an exploitative cesspool that, bizarrely, many young people still want to be part of. Young men want in as much as women so there’s no reason why they’ll be any less susceptible to exploitation. They’re wet-behind-the-ears too!

What’s wrong with finding out ‘there’s a rat amongst them’? It’s hardy their fault if one amongst them is a rat?

I’m struggling to see the reason for the outrage.

Well, it's more so their fault for putting those folks on a pedestal. Case in point, the JT Leroy debacle showed she was a nasty person from the get go. She did this stuff before.

I don't know if the last line of your post is a reference to the assault outrage, or a reference to people being outraged to see that Argento was abused and abuser?
    Need some clarity on that.
    Well, that tweet hasn’t gone down well, which is good. One of the first replies (which is by a woman, Samantha Acampora) criticises her and has double the likes and retweets of Rose’s tweet. I feel like sense is breaking through...

Christina Hoff Sommers has almost 3 thousand likes underneath that tweet, for a genuine schooling. McGowan's 'Be Gentle' Bullcrap is getting no love from anyone. Nobody was gentle with Chris Hardwick, or Max Landis, to name a few. And Many quit their jobs because a thorough investigation didn't return the result they liked-as in guilty without evidence.
    Anyhoo, it doesn’t surprise me that young lads are being taken advantage of too. Hollywood is an exploitative cesspool that, bizarrely, many young people still want to be part of. Young men want in as much as women so there’s no reason why they’ll be any less susceptible to exploitation. They’re wet-behind-the-ears too!

That's been mentioned before-Kevin Spacey being a pederast with many of his victims speaking out, Bryan Singer too, and Corey Feldman discussing the abuse he and Corey Haim suffered. There was also discussion of the abuses Brad Renfro underwent.
    The whole foundation is sick.

Remember when Reese Witherspoon bragged about 'auditioning' the young guys to play her boyfriend in a movie? Imagine if a male actor said similar?

Well, it's more so their fault for putting those folks on a pedestal. Case in point, the JT Leroy debacle showed she was a nasty person from the get go. She did this stuff before.

I don't know if the last line of your post is a reference to the assault outrage, or a reference to people being outraged to see that Argento was abused and abuser?
    Need some clarity on that.
    To clarify, I'm struggling to understand the outrage at metoo. If they knew she was an abuser and still used her because she was also a victim, then they would be culpable. But we have no evidence that it was widely known until now.

So how is it 'their fault'? And how is the hypocrisy on anyone except Asia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

This is it. But naturally the usual suspects are just posting about the movement being hypocritical.

Asia isn’t either a victim or a perpetrator, in this case she might well be both. Those things don’t cancel each other out due to hypocrisy. Is she statutory raped the guy, it doesn’t mean she wasn’t also sexually abused by Weinstein.

PS we’ll prob never know what happened in this case if there was a non disclosure agreement involved. Likewise we’ll probably never know about a whole lot of abuse in lots of circumstance.

I can’t understand the opposition to metoo. It has highlighted two potential cases of abuse involving Asia alone.

I would agree 100% what you say but unfortunately it does happen like that and this was instantly just highlighted by this tweet

it just proves she never really cared about "highlighting abuse" and was just trying to push her own agenda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I would agree 100% what you say but unfortunately it does happen like that and this was instantly just highlighted by this tweet

it just proves she never really cared about "highlighting abuse" and was just trying to push her own agenda.

It gave me a perverse amount of pleasure to tweet her calling her a pathetic two faced ignorant cow.

We should wait for due process in fairness, even if they didn't.

We should wait for due process in fairness, even if they didn't.

She's paid him off for a few hundred grand already.

And whereas Weinstein is a twisted pig, he was dealing with women who got benefits from their actions - parts, bigger fees, fame etc etc.

She was 37 and regularly referred to the boy as her son and she his "mom".

Now that is sick.

She was dating the late Anthony Bourdain at the time of his suicide. I would wonder what he'd discovered about her ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

You don't have a clue about about bourdains suicide. Very bizarre to thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

She was dating the late Anthony Bourdain at the time of his suicide. I would wonder what he'd discovered about her ?

Unfounded speculation about a suicide really isn't needed.

Not surprised by Rose McGowan's statement though. It's very easy to be all about 'listen and believe' until it's a friend of your's who is accused.

• Advertisement

Unfounded speculation about a suicide really isn't needed.

Not surprised by Rose McGowan's statement though. It's very easy to be all about 'listen and believe' until it's a friend of your's who is accused.

I was a great fan of his and it came as a shock.

I don't want to speculate upon motive as that is for him but I was just wondering if he had bought the victim spiel from her and then discovered that she was actually a predator.

No offence meant, just curious. May he continue to rest in peace.

Advertisement