Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leisure commission - register your interest

Options
  • 06-10-2017 11:09am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, they have done it and fufilled a request. Lots of people bemoaning the lack of a leisure commision. Alot of unattached leisure members also asking where they can have their say:
    Dear Member,

Leisure Cycling in Ireland has seen huge growth over the past 10 years. As part of the Cycling Ireland Strategic Plan, we now want to start the process of re-establishing the Leisure Commission. This commission will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of leisure cycling in Ireland.

The key aims of the Leisure Commission include but are not limited to the following:

Manage the leisure calendar to ensure an even distribution of events with minimum clashes.
    Improve the quality of leisure events by piloting an event feedback system used by the participants
    Assist with devising ways to lead to a reduction in non-approved Cycling Ireland events.
    Review the policies and technical rules that govern all types of leisure cycling in Ireland.
    Promote Cycling Ireland programmes that will help increase participation through the running of workshops, training days and/or seminars.

Other aims may be defined and agreed by the Leisure Commission over time.

If you are interested in being part of the Leisure Commission, please click HERE to register your interest by Sunday 15th October and outline your suitability for the role.

The final composition of the Leisure Commission will be decided by the Board of Cycling Ireland.

Regards,
    The Cycling Ireland Team

For those who feel they don't get their voice heard or the leisure side (possibly the largest community in CI at the minute) don't get their fair say, here is your chance to do something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Was going to volunteer till i saw that one if their aims was to reduce non CI approved events.

I only have one question Why !

The off road commussion totally bollixed up mountain biking The leisure commission will probably do the same for leisue cycling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Can the 20 odd thousand registered members form an orderly queue.....

Was this not already set up last year? Obviously not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Waiting 3 months now from someone in CI to answer an email in relation to my leisure membership! Given the money they're gathering from the leisure side of things they need to invest more time and effort to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

benneca1 wrote: »
    I only have one question Why !
    I presume (and could be really wrong) they mean in a way that makes it easier to get signed off by CI for insurance purposes. Several GAA clubs run events like this with no safety statement, no forward thinking and are just plain lucky that nothing bad has happened as they could find themselves in court with no protection in the name of a good deed. Organising events takes time and energy, not 2 hours driving with a spray can to mark out the route and that's it.
    JK.BMC wrote: »
    Can the 20 odd thousand registered members form an orderly queue.....

Was this not already set up last year? Obviously not
    No one volunteered, no on
    py wrote: »
    Waiting 3 months now from someone in CI to answer an email in relation to my leisure membership! Given the money they're gathering from the leisure side of things they need to invest more time and effort to it.
    True, but without a commission and people to be vocal to get that money, it could take awhile.

I imagine this commision will be filled with the bigger event organisers (with sense) and if people want to make sure all the attention is not filtered towards them, then they need to volunteer.

Same with the cost of leisure licences, if people don't volunteer, they will go up gain in a year or two with very little opposition.

A proper commission could look at the pooling of safety statements in easily accessible files, procedures for organising events in different areas (rather than a set of things you need with no instruction), contacts for major events, therefore bigger benefits to smaller sponsors, purchasing of equipment that can be booked for use and not sucked up by road races etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Where do you get the link ?
    I have searched for it on the website , and i didnt get an email...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Where do you get the link ?
    I have searched for it on the website , and i didnt get an email...

Clicked on it there, it is an email to this mail : Dermot.Anglin@cyclingireland.ie

And the Subject line should read: Leisure Commission - Register my Interest

CramCycle wrote: »
    Clicked on it there, it is an email to this mail : Dermot.Anglin@cyclingireland.ie

And the Subject line should read: Leisure Commission - Register my Interest

Thank you.
    Email sent

greenspurs wrote: »
    Thank you.
    Email sent

Must be busy .....

No reply yet.

and, still no reply ..... Must be very busy !

Reply recieved today ..

"Thank you for your email expressing interest in the Cycling Ireland Leisure Commission.

We have had a huge response with 128 replies spread across all 4 provinces.

Please allow some time as we work through this and we will be in contact in due course."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I volunteered and have been accepted into the Leisure Commission. So there will be at least one Boardsie on the Commission.

The first meeting is mid-January and we will know the terms of reference at that point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I volunteered and have been accepted into the Leisure Commission. So there will be at least one Boardsie on the Commission.

The first meeting is mid-January and we will know the terms of reference at that point.

Lucky leisure commission!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Only if they can keep up...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you have to wear leisure suits to leisure commission meetings?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Bleedin Freds

I suggest we put Rob and Phil in the furthest reaches of Cork, the first one to make O'Connell St in Dublin by bike and with no external assistance, is not the Fred. I suspect if we sent Phil the long way round, Phil would still beat most (if not all) of us :eek:

On a more serious note, glad for the commission, you will be an asset to them Phil

RobFowl wrote: »
    Bleedin Freds

Frederica if you please!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Joking aside I think this is a great initiative and hope they do great things.
    Leisure members are as important if not more so than the elites.

PS Will take on that challenge on a date that suits if enough for the Peter McVerry trust can be pledged ;)

RobFowl wrote: »

PS Will take on that challenge on a date that suits if enough for the Peter McVerry trust can be pledged ;)

Sure, it'll be good training. It's only 173 miles (278km), less than a 300km Audax.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

do you have to wear leisure suits to leisure commission meetings?

Nope, active wear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Just wanted to congratulate you on taking on this role. Something I've considered doing in my own niche, but the amount of time, patience and work needed has always eventually meant it was a no-goer, so I definitely admire your committing to it. Hopefully you guys will get the support you need from all on here and within CI itself.

Advertisement