Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Revolut physical card (normally €6)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm sure it's been asked before but I'm heading to England this weekend. Is my best to put money on my revolut card and then use it at atm over there for pounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm sure it's been asked before but I'm heading to England this weekend. Is my best to put money on my revolut card and then use it at atm over there for pounds?

Put money on, then change money from Euro to Pounds before you go, then withdraw from an ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Remember there's a limit of 200 before you're charged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

TheDriver wrote: »
    Remember there's a limit of 200 before you're charged

Is this limit €200 or £200?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

errlloyd wrote: »
    Put money on, then change money from Euro to Pounds before you go, then withdraw from an ATM.
    And at the risk of repeating this for the nth time, the benefit of exchanging to the desired currency before you go (i.e. before the weekend) is so you avoid the 0.5% or so Revolut add in to the rate to protect themselves from any major currency fluctuations while offices are closed over the weekend. There's nothing stopping you from keeping a € balance and spending in £s, letting Revolut convert on the fly.

If you can predict how much you're going to spend, then great, convert in advance, but you can always convert more when needed.
    Cape Clear wrote: »
    Is this limit €200 or £200?
    From the schedule of fees (for standard users): ATM Withdrawals up to £200 / €200 / 200USD / 200CHF / 800PLN / 1,500DKK / 2,000SEK / 2,000NOK / 800RON or currency equivalent per month are free. Anything over the above limits is charged at 2% of value of ATM Withdrawal.

TheChizler wrote: »
    And at the risk of repeating this for the nth time, the benefit of exchanging to the desired currency before you go (i.e. before the weekend) is so you avoid the 0.5% or so Revolut add in to the rate to protect themselves from any major currency fluctuations while offices are closed over the weekend. There's nothing stopping you from keeping a € balance and spending in £s, letting Revolut convert on the fly.

The poster said they were going over the weekend. So I told them to exchange before leaving. You're best off exchanging as much as you can, in the knowledge you can change any extra back for free come Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Grand so I've done that now. Have £100 and about €50 on my account. So what happens if I go withdraw £110? I'd presume £100 gone and then £10 converted from the €50

The poster said they were going over the weekend. So I told them to exchange before leaving. You're best off exchanging as much as you can, in the knowledge you can change any extra back for free come Monday.
    Yes I'm just pointing out that if you don't exchange in advance it doesn't limit you in any way and you can spend in pounds as normal. Some newcomers get the impression that you have to have a balance in the currency you want to spend in, when it's normal to convert on the fly.

Grand so I've done that now. Have £100 and about €50 on my account. So what happens if I go withdraw £110? I'd presume £100 gone and then £10 converted from the €50

Actually, annoyingly that will probably say insufficient funds when you try and withdraw. If you withdrew 100 pounds, it will take from your sterling, if you withdrew another 10er it would take from the euro account at the midmarket rate from 5pm Friday + 0.5%

That's something I was wondering. What if there's 100 pounds and 100 euro and u buy something for 110 pounds?

• Advertisement

That's something I was wondering. What if there's 100 pounds and 100 euro and u buy something for 110 pounds?
    Card declined...

Ahhhh so you should have an exact amount of pounds at least to withdraw or spend. I didn't realise it treated balances separately. Seems odd way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

I have a friend that joined revolt but is having a bit of trouble getting it going he was on to support with no look is there anyone on here that could give him step by step on sorting his problem. Thanks.

Ahhhh so you should have an exact amount of pounds at least to withdraw or spend. I didn't realise it treated balances separately. Seems odd way

As far as I know this is not how it works, if you have no sterling it just converts your euro on the fly, if you have 100 pounds and 100 euro it will first take the 100 pounds and then convert the 10 pounds in the fly from your euro balance.

This is my understanding anyway. You don't need to convert to pounds in advance at all (though it's an advantage at weekends etc) so why would it be an issue to partially pay from a pounds balance and just take the rest from the euro balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

As far as I know this is not how it works, if you have no sterling it just converts your euro on the fly, if you have 100 pounds and 100 euro it will first take the 100 pounds and then convert the 10 pounds in the fly from your euro balance.

This is my understanding anyway. You don't need to convert to pounds in advance at all (though it's an advantage at weekends etc) so why would it be an issue to partially pay from a pounds balance and just take the rest from the euro balance.

no, you can't partially pay for some reason. you need to have the amount in one currency or else it'll get declined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No, he’s right. You’re incorrect

To make a payment you must have enough funds available in one currency. It doesn’t matter what currency, but it won’t take payment from two different currency ‘wallets’

In your example the payment would be declined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Dodge wrote: »
    No, he’s right. You’re incorrect

To make a payment you must have enough funds available in one currency. It doesn’t matter what currency, but it won’t take payment from two different currency ‘wallets’

In your example the payment would be declined

Strange,

I top up 50 euros to my card.

And then just use it in Amazon UK to pay in pounds, Amazon US - dollars and at the end I top up my Polish phone in PLN.

All payments went thru no problem.

I didn't exchanged anything.

I think if you want to withdraw or send money to bank account then you need to exchange to different currency.

Tom

Strange,

I top up 50 euros to my card.

And then just use it in Amazon UK to pay in pounds, Amazon US - dollars and at the end I top up my Polish phone in PLN.

All payments went thru no problem.

I didn't exchanged anything.

I think if you want to withdraw or send money to bank account then you need to exchange to different currency.

Tom
    That is correct as you have the wallet resting in euro whereas the other poster was talking about converting prior to purchase to avail of a better exchange rate and having 2 wallets of different currencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 intothecold

I've just tried withdrawing from an ATM for the first time but the machine didn't seem to recognise it. Had no issues with contactless or paying online, do I need to use a certain ATM to withdraw funds? I've checked all my settings and everything is enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Double check it isn't blocked. It can seem confusing because even if it isn't they have a line on screen saying tap to unfreeze...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Worst customer service I've ever experienced.

You can only contact them via in app chat ... I've had the session open for two hours now.
    Calling them in the UK allows you to freeze your card and nothing else.
    You cannot speak to CS.

I had an Amazon payment refunded today and instead of a refund showing they're charged me again.
    Amazon say they refunded me but Revolut put it in as a charge.
    Now I'm down double the amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

Do you type "Agent" as soon you open the chat? I've only ever had to wait minutes on live chat and I had contacted them quite a few times over the past months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

mathie wrote: »
    Worst customer service I've ever experienced.

You can only contact them via in app chat ... I've had the session open for two hours now.
    Calling them in the UK allows you to freeze your card and nothing else.
    You cannot speak to CS.

I had an Amazon payment refunded today and instead of a refund showing they're charged me again.
    Amazon say they refunded me but Revolut put it in as a charge.
    Now I'm down double the amount.

Refunds can take a few days to come through. That’s nothing to do with Revolut. All card refunds use the same systems. Sometimes payments show as pending or shadowed but will then disappear if not confirmed. Wait a couple of days and it should clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I had a ferry payment returned for no apparent reason and the refund was through in two days
    Customer services was okay for me during the week, they answered all my questions regarding this and another matter with paypal
    Refund will be processed soon don’t worry

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭TheWatcher182

Lost my card already! Anybody know the card reissue fee? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Anyone receive an email saying that their card was likely from a batch that wouldn't work with TFL in London and as such probably wouldn't work on the tube etc... As a contact less payment card like an Oyster card?

Was sent an email to fill out a form to receive a new card, haven't heard anything else since though. Anyone else affected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Morby wrote: »
    Anyone receive an email saying that their card was likely from a batch that wouldn't work with TFL in London and as such probably wouldn't work on the tube etc... As a contact less payment card like an Oyster card?

Was sent an email to fill out a form to receive a new card, haven't heard anything else since though. Anyone else affected?
    Yep, I got an email as so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes I got it but ignored it as I won't be ever in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

I signed up last week and was going to use these for most of my banking including direct debits because I'm sick to death of paying bank charges. So many bad reviews all over the internet on this crowd so I think I'll be giving them a miss and write off the €5.99 card fee. Just too many bad reviews to rely on this crowd. People reporting double charges, cards not working abroad, refund issues and to top it off terrible customer service. Sorry revolut, but you need to up your game big time if you want to become a serious contender in the banking sector. PTSB will have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

shocksy wrote: »
    I signed up last week and was going to use these for most of my banking including direct debits because I'm sick to death of paying bank charges. So many bad reviews all over the internet on this crowd so I think I'll be giving them a miss and write off the €5.99 card fee. Just too many bad reviews to rely on this crowd. People reporting double charges, cards not working abroad, refund issues and to top it off terrible customer service. Sorry revolut, but you need to up your game big time if you want to become a serious contender in the banking sector. PTSB will have to do.

Jez I've been using it since the thread started an touch wood I find it good. No issues to date. I even find it controls my spending a bit because I top up the card as I need it rather than buying things on the credit card

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Another vote for them here.
    Been using it for years and never had an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

mik_da_man wrote:
    Another vote for them here. Been using it for years and never had an issue.

Another thumbs up here. I've used the card on the continent and America a few times and never had any difficulties. Customer service was perfectly fine on the one or two occasions I needed them. I'm heading stateside again later in the year and I'll definitely be using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Morby wrote:

When did you get the Revolut card, was in London last year, my card worked fine but travel companions didn't work, I have mine a couple of years now but other card received last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm using the service before they gave out free cards and never had an issue. That's buying stuff online from UK. I then decided to get the card for my trip to America before Christmas and had no issues using it over there.

You realise Revolut aren’t reading this lol
    If you look online you will only see complaints and problems, people don’t generally go onto forums and such to say what a great card and service it is
    I think it’s very good for forgein currency and as a back up card.
    I had to send a few grand to my brother in the uk and used Revolut and before the process I checked reviews of people having lost their money where it ended up in wrong account and sometimes the wrong currency but reading closely you can see it was mostly human error.
    Revolut works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I use it all the time for the last 2 years and only once had an issue where contactless didn't work up the North. I'm regularly using is on sites like Amazon UK, never an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Morby wrote: »

padair wrote: »
    Yep, I got an email as so
    Yes I got it but ignored it as I won't be ever in London.

Also got it and filled in the form as if nothing else I could find myself over in London with work at some point, so might as well have the option of using it! Plus, always a chance that the new card will have an extended expiration date :P

Haven't heard anything since filling in the form around April 23rd (when I got the mail), either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭alksander

I think these reviews might be from recent users (last 3 months) who received the VISA card once Revolut started issuing them.

Those are coded as Prepaid and a lot of services don't accept them properly.

Never had any issue with the original Mastercard they had for 2 years, worked flawlessly everywhere and I've been to distant countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭iHungry

Hi, can anyone help with this issue please. I have money in my revolut card account in euro and sterling. I bought an item in sterling but I don't have enough funds in sterling to cover it but I do have enough funds in euro. How can I make them take payment from the euro side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

do the Exchange from GBP to EURO.
    Works in seconds.

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭iHungry

do the Exchange from GBP to EURO.
    Works in seconds.

Tom
    Yes that did it, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not sure what reviews you are reading. But I never had an issue with them not has anybody be I know.

iHungry wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone help with this issue please. I have money in my revolut card account in euro and sterling. I bought an item in sterling but I don't have enough funds in sterling to cover it but I do have enough funds in euro. How can I make them take payment from the euro side?
    It would have taken it from the Euro balance automatically as you didn't have enough in the Sterling balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

ted1 wrote: »
    Not sure what reviews you are reading. But I never had an issue with them not has anybody be I know.

I think it is a lifesaver on holidays as when I make a purchase I only transfer the value to make the purchase

when my wallet was robbed in Lisbon within 1 minute they tried to make 1200 euro transfers to Romania - but no cash on the card :) was brilliant

and I found customer service pretty good, plus some savings with GBP purchases

can't fault the card to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I just got a notification to say that cryptocurrencies will soon be available to all users "soon", if anyone's interested in that particular rabbit hole :) They also said I could enable it immediately, which I did successfully, but I don't know if that will be offered to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭webpal

when my wallet was robbed in Lisbon within 1 minute they tried to make 1200 euro transfers to Romania - but no cash on the card

Do you mean it wouldn’t as you had no cash or a security feature? Just interested

webpal wrote: »
    Do you mean it wouldn’t as you had no cash or a security feature? Just interested

Card is frozen for large amounts and you have to unfreeze it via the app, can be a pain when trying to complete an eBay checkout in a hurry, I almost missed a bargain omega seamaster because the card was frozen
    Freezes for items as low as £300 for me but I guess if my card was taken it would be handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

webpal wrote: »

didn't as I only load cash on when purchasing - so there might be 8 euro on it - when I want to make a purchase even in store I just add on whats needed - only takes a few seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

didn't as I only load cash on when purchasing - so there might be 8 euro on it - when I want to make a purchase even in store I just add on whats needed - only takes a few seconds

You just use it for security then basically.
    How are you topping it up? Did your other bank card not get stolen too

• Advertisement

That sounds like way to much messing about, I load up the card and spend it in whatever currency I need I have euro sterling dollars and shekels on mine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement