Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Revolut physical card (normally €6)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

seligehgit wrote: »
    Thanks a lot,this may be a stupid question but is it better to opt to pay in euro or sterling at the checkout on Amazon using this card?

Sterling, Amazon screw you on the exchange rate to Euro (your bank do the same if you pay in Sterling with an Irish Euro card)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Don't forget you can add credit using NFC. After seeing this thread I decided to sign up, downloaded the app (Android) and applied for a physical card, had to add Eur10 so used NFC and placed my phone onto my PTSB Visa Debit card, cash transferred after a few seconds. Just waiting on the card to arrive in the post now ;)

Also thanks OP for the heads up, this will come in handy for my annual Black Friday shopping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Don't forget you can add credit using NFC. After seeing this thread I decided to sign up, downloaded the app (Android) and applied for a physical card, had to add Eur10 so used NFC and placed my phone onto my PTSB Visa Debit card, cash transferred after a few seconds. Just waiting on the card to arrive in the post now ;)

Also thanks OP for the heads up, this will come in handy for my annual Black Friday shopping :)

How's that work?I've never utilised NFC on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Patww79 wrote: »
    I never knew about the NFC top-up either, mine is always switched on too.
    You use NFC to populate the card number when adding a card, and put in the CVV yourself, so it's not a true contactless transaction.

How many days does one get to pay any monies owed?Is it the usual 5% minimum payment and what rate is charged on the monies unpaid?

Can't see anything re these charges in the FAQS?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

How many days does one get to pay any monies owed?Is it the usual 5% minimum payment and what rate is charged on the monies unpaid?

Can't see anything re these charges in the FAQS?

This is a debit card, not a credit card, so therefore if you have no funds on your card, then the transaction will fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just to add to this as I'm sure the question will arise.

you need funds to cover the entire transaction cost, it's not like a leap card that will let you away until next top-up if you're close.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Just to add to this as I'm sure the question will arise.
    you need funds to cover the entire transaction cost, it's not like a leap card that will let you away until next top-up if you're close.
    Do people not understand how debit cards work
    :confused:

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Do people not understand how debit cards work
    :confused:

evidence in this thread seems to suggest otherwise. and I'd lump credit in there with that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Can't you apply for Credit using the card though? I've definitely seen it in the app

long_b wrote: »
    Can't you apply for Credit using the card though? I've definitely seen it in the app
    They're launching it in the app at some point. But the card is just a means of access to funds you already have in the app. The credit function is just a means of topping up your app balance.

long_b wrote: »

It’s coming soon and is greyed out in the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Must you delete your existing card and then order a new one in order to get a contactless one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

tv3tg4 wrote:
    Must you delete your existing card and then order a new one in order to get a contactless one?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

I use a Windows phone, but there is no Revolut app in the Windows store. Is it possible to set up an account on Windows desktop? Any other way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

The only way I have found is to use an android emulator such as DuOS (amiDuos). then install google playstore, then the Revolut app. Resolution is a bit annoying though as it does not scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

stooge wrote: »
    The only way I have found is to use an android emulator such as DuOS (amiDuos). then install google playstore, then the Revolut app. Resolution is a bit annoying though as it does not scale.
    I installed DuOS, struggled with installing Google Play but finally got it. Then installed the Revolut app, but can't read a thing on the screen. This is on desktop monitor. Like you said you can't scale it down.

Wonder if it would work better installed on the Windows phone.

EDITED TO ADD: I changed the font size to HUGE and managed to scrape through. Struggled big time with the verified by Visa screen as I couldn't read the buttons. But topped up (it insisted on €100) and ordered card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

I had revolut running on Andy a year ago, maybe it still works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

theShire wrote: »
    To do anything she seems to have to verify identity, which is a balls cos they only accept Irish passports and hers is out of date!

For anyone who hasn't the right documents to verify - my wife was able to user her Irish drivers licence this evening. Just had to contact support in the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I had to delete the card. Do I have to wait a couple of days to order a new one? Will it be a new number?

Edit: Just went through the process so can answer my own question. New number, still free even though it's the 2nd one I ordered in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Anybody else having issues with paypal and the new card? It wont leave me pay for things in sterling with the card and only option is to use there conversion rate which is a rob!

Anybody else having issues with paypal and the new card? It wont leave me pay for things in sterling with the card and only option is to use there conversion rate which is a rob!

Did you add your card as a sterling card?

• Advertisement

I didn't see an option for that where can I set it to sterling card?

Follow this and that will allow you pay for things in sterling

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Follow this and that will allow you pay for things in sterling

Top man thank you.

Top man thank you.

Which option do you select?

Use PayPal's conversion process to complete my transaction using my card's currency.
    Both the original transaction currency and the converted amount that I will be charged are disclosed for my convenience. I understand that MasterCard and Visa have a currency conversion process. I have chosen not to use the MasterCard and Visa currency conversion process, and I will have no recourse against MasterCard and Visa with respect to any matter related to this conversion.

Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice.
    I will not know which foreign exchange rate has been applied to this transaction until I receive my card statement from my card issuer. I acknowledge that by choosing this option, my card issuer will determine the foreign exchange rate to apply to this transaction, and that I will not be informed of the foreign exchange rate or any additional foreign exchange fees applied until I am billed by my card issuer.

Select an option above, then click Submit to complete the currency conversion process.

The second option, “bill me in the currency listed on the sellers invoice”

• Advertisement

The second option, “bill me in the currency listed on the sellers invoice”

Top man.:)

Is that to make sure the Revolut is in Sterling? I can't even see the first step 'Profile' on either the website or the app.
    That's paypal. Revolut will be in whatever currency the transaction is made in.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Is the premium worth it for the medical insurance.

Yes it is, on the main Paypal website, click on you name over in the top right had corner I think it is and you be able to follow the headings from there then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

fjon wrote: »
    I'm not sure if other people have gotten this email also:

"Great news, we’re officially launching a Revolut office in Ireland, and to celebrate we’re offering our mighty Irish users their first card for free!
    You and your friends and family can order a free card today and save €6. Act now, we’re offering 10,000 cards on a first-come, first-serve basis. Head to the Cards section in the app to order yours now."

Note: in order to do you you may need to delete your existing card and order a new physical one. Your balance isn't affected.

Are there any free cards left?

I’m sure there are after the first week of the email there was just 1500 of the 10,000 availed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭fran426ft

Are there any free cards left?

If you scroll down towards the bottom on their webpage you'll see the number of free cards left*.

https://www.revolut.com/ie/#count

*7000 at time of posting

I’m sure there are after the first week of the email there was just 1500 of the 10,000 availed of.

I ordered and was told that a free physical card was on its way to me.
    Great.
    I have just joined Revolut and I had not requested a virtual card.
    I requested a virtual card (just after ordering the physical card) and was told there would be a €6 charge.
    I didn't go through with the order.

Any suggestions on how to get over this hurdle?
    I saw some mention in earlier posts of people who had a virtual card deleting that and then ordering a free physical card successsfully.
    I don't really want to delete the free physical card.

If this is already answered in an earlier post I apologise for asking again.
    I'm finding all this a bit hard to follow.

I ordered and was told that a free physical card was on its way to me.
    Great.
    I have just joined Revolut and I had not requested a virtual card.
    I requested a virtual card (just after ordering the physical card) and was told there would be a €6 charge.
    I didn't go through with the order.

Any suggestions on how to get over this hurdle?
    I saw some mention in earlier posts of people who had a virtual card deleting that and then ordering a free physical card successsfully.
    I don't really want to delete the free physical card.

If this is already answered in an earlier post I apologise for asking again.
    I'm finding all this a bit hard to follow.

Now that I think about it a little more - I don't need a virtual card if I have a physical card - if I am paying on-line for something I just use the card details that are on the physical card.

• Advertisement

fran426ft wrote: »
    If you scroll down towards the bottom on their webpage you'll see the number of free cards left*.

https://www.revolut.com/ie/#count

*7000 at time of posting

Thanks, I see that now.
    6,999 left now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Now that I think about it a little more - I don't need a virtual card if I have a physical card - if I am paying on-line for something I just use the card details that are on the physical card.

Your virtual card and physical card should be the same thing. The physical card is basically a fancy print out of the virtual one. If you go into "Cards" on the app, is there an entry there?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Your virtual card and physical card should be the same thing. The physical card is basically a fancy print out of the virtual one. If you go into "Cards" on the app, is there an entry there?

Yes - I see it there.
    Thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Once you order a physical card, it should also appear in the app as a virtual card. If you don't see a virtual card in the app, log out and log in again.

Quackster wrote: »
    Once you order a physical card, it should also appear in the app as a virtual card. If you don't see a virtual card in the app, log out and log in again.

Thank you.
    I have now managed to work out what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »

I can't get this to work, when i bring my PTSB debit card to my phone, my leap card app opens up. I have topped up my leap card on my phone before.

I can't get this to work, when i bring my PTSB debit card to my phone, my leap card app opens up. I have topped up my leap card on my phone before.

Your Leap app is set to open when you put your card to it. It used to happen to me. You can turn this off somewhere. Either in the Leap app or the settings for NFC. I can't remember.

Have you tapped the contactless symbol when adding a card and waited for the second screen before trying?

156r7kj.png
    nc1rer.png

I presume the debit card has to have a contactless symbol to use the NFC with one's phone?

• Advertisement

I presume the debit card has to have a contactless symbol to use the NFC with one's phone?

Of course.

It's just passing the card details to the app. Can also use the camera on the phone to grab the details off the front of the card .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement