Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long sleeve good quality jersey advice

Options
  • 06-10-2017 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice, my dad has recently got into cycling and after starting with aldi and lidl stuff is starting to realise he likes the more expensive gear. Looking to get him a good quality long sleeve jersey, he won't go out on the bike if it's very cold so a winter jacket is overkill. I've looked at the usuals, Castelli, sportful, galibier and Rapha, and have seen some decent stuff but wondering was there any other brands out there I should have a look at. Looking for something a bit different than the norm, good quality and bright colours (he won't wear black). If possible as well a zip pocket on the bag would be a big plus.

Plenty of smaller companies around making nice gear now and just wondering if there was any recommendations. This is number 1 at the moment

https://www.rapha.cc/eu/en/shop/long-sleeve-tricolour-jersey/product/LST03LS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

joey100 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice, my dad has recently got into cycling and after starting with aldi and lidl stuff is starting to realise he likes the more expensive gear. Looking to get him a good quality long sleeve jersey, he won't go out on the bike if it's very cold so a winter jacket is overkill. I've looked at the usuals, Castelli, sportful, galibier and Rapha, and have seen some decent stuff but wondering was there any other brands out there I should have a look at. Looking for something a bit different than the norm, good quality and bright colours (he won't wear black). If possible as well a zip pocket on the bag would be a big plus.

Plenty of smaller companies around making nice gear now and just wondering if there was any recommendations. This is number 1 at the moment

https://www.rapha.cc/eu/en/shop/long-sleeve-tricolour-jersey/product/LST03LS

Tell him Rapha gear just makes him a pretentious tit! :D
    If he likes bright colours, try Ale. Their gear is really good quality but not cheap, and lots of the tops come with small zip pocket at the back.
    All4cycling.com is good for Ale stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

I really like all DHB stuff

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mens/long-sleeve-cycling-jerseys/?ea=4294789716

Feels better quality than what you pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Good suggestion so far. Should have said it's for a present, he lives in the DHB stuff so want to get him something a bit fancier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

adidas.ie have some decent long sleeve jersies. I wouldn't mind the purple Climaheat one myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Theres a lifetime guarantee on the Rapha gear (even if its from a crash) as discussed on here before so for not much more than other brands you get great peace of mind too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

By all accounts it's hard to beat the Castelli Perfetto jersey (long sleeve Gabba), although I'm still a big Assos 851 Airjacket fan myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Stolen Goat Orkaan meets all your requirements; quality, bit different, bright plus zip pocket.
    Just took delivery of one myself and really like it so far.
    Drop them an email on sizing or with any questions, very helpful responses.

https://stolengoat.com/product/stolen-goat-orkaan-everyday-ls-jersey-mens-heisenburg/

Not affiliated in any way in case it sounds like I'm gushing too much :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Torm do some nice stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

It's about layers, so an under layer and a nice jersey together would be a good gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

C3PO wrote: »
    By all accounts it's hard to beat the Castelli Perfetto jersey (long sleeve Gabba), although I'm still a big Assos 851 Airjacket fan myself!

+ 1 on the Perfetto.

I wear mine all winter long, Great bit of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Galibier gino wind jersey. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit for cool autumn and spring days. Light enough not to be overkill. I love mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Another vote for Stolen Goat / Bioracer stuff. Great quality and technology in their fabrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Eamonnator wrote: »
    + 1 on the Perfetto.

I wear mine all winter long, Great bit of kit.

I've got a long Torso and found the Perfetto fairly Imperfetto fitwise

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Hi
    I think the cheaper Rapha Core jersey is a beyter option the the tricolore jersey.

The tricolore is based on Rapha classic long sleeve. I have one and think it is a poor mild winter jerset - it is simplg a long sleeve version of the ordinary jersey and unsuitable for say 6 - 12 degrees.

The core jersey is tighter fitting but is fleece lined. Perfect for the average winter day but on really cold days i use it with a thicker base layer and gilecr.

Its my go to LS and will buy anaother one shortly. I would never buy the classic long sleeve again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I haven't bought from these people myself (yet), but have seen them recommended a lot on other forums - https://www.lapassione.cc/collections/man-collection/products_winter-jerseys

Advertisement