Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let's put a cemetery next to the hospice

• 06-10-2017 11:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

Council officials suggested planning a cemetery next to a planned hospice and older people nursing facility.
    Can you imagine being sick with cancer staring out at a graveyard nextdoor?
    Some official decided that this is a good idea. Just how incompetent are our authorities?
    This was only discovered under FoI.

Galway City Council discussed the possibility of a land swap allowing them to create a new cemetery...
    The site in question is located beside a planned new Hospice and other existing services for older people and it was deemed “inappropriate”.
    The idea was floated by City Council officials at a meeting with representatives of West of Ireland hospitals in July.
    http://connachttribune.ie/cemetery-planned-merlin-park-hospital-deemed-inappropriate-400/

Comments

They should have included an undertakers on the same site. All in one service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

Maybe a GAA pitch, or water park would be more appropriate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

They should have included an undertakers on the same site. All in one service.

Don't forget an incinerator crematorium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Reminded me of this...

article-1376415-0B9BAED500000578-738_634x337.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Imagine the savings to be had! There will be no need for a hearse or ever corpse storage, all you gotta do is chuck em out the window into the cemetery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Wossack wrote: »
    Maybe a GAA pitch, or water park would be more appropriate?

They could build a slide from the bed to the grave...folks would be dying to have a go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

It would form part of an integrated national mortuary campus, state of the art, and is part of fine gaels roadmap to glory roadmap 2017-2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Tow

Whats the fuss, we already have that in Harold's Cross.
    429812.jpg
    All the green area to the right and below the hospice are graves.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

When my grandmother was in her final years she went into a hospice. She was somewhat mobile and enjoyed getting outdoors as often as possible.

Most of her friends and neighbours had passed away in recent years. We would bring her to visit their graveside every other week. It was a 2.5 hour round trip across the city. The travel took a lot out of her. But she enjoyed telling stories about her old friends by their graveside.

Eventually she became too sick to travel the distance.

A hospice close to the cemetary would have been ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What would you expect? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of Wilderbeast sweeping majestically across The Serengheti?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I don't see a problem as long as the view from the windows isn't headstones and that can be easily done.

I used to live directly across the road from a jewish cemetery but couldn't see anything unless I was upstairs deliberately looking over the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

frag420 wrote: »
    They could build a slide from the bed to the grave...folks would be dying to have a go!!

You jest, but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You jest, but...

Wooooo Funnnnnnnnnneral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I live right beside a graveyard, it's just over the wall. It doesn't bother me but a lot of people comment that it must be morbid living beside graves being dug and people buried. Sometimes when there's a traveller funeral on the road is blocked and the whole estate is inaccessible from them parking wherever they want. That was the case with the carrickmines fire funerals.

Not a big deal really and you don't notice the sounds after a while, what you never get used to is the bloody bagpipes screeching on a weekly basis. Jesus who started that tradition. Being in a hospice is bad enough without subjecting them to bagpipes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You jest, but...

The ergonomics of it though- you know it makes sense.

Could be done discreetly and with dignity...screens etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

frag420 wrote: »

You cant spell funeral without fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Hospice patients know they’re dying, OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

So, someone suggested it , it was deemed inappropriate, so what's the problem exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You haven't visited Kells in the last few years, then.
    Brand new Health centre built right beside the graveyard.
    Nothing like it to concentrate the mind!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

fineso.mom wrote: »
    So, someone suggested it , it was deemed inappropriate, so what's the problem exactly?
    It's the fact that it was suggested ..by a public official
    There is plenty of other land around for a cemetery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

Been done before well almost , out in Derry in Listowel there's an old folks home and directly across the road is the funeral home, one can literally wave goodbye to the last poor chap to cross the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Council officials suggested planning a cemetery next to a planned hospice and older people nursing facility.
    Can you imagine being sick with cancer staring out at a graveyard nextdoor?
    Some official decided that this is a good idea. Just how incompetent are our authorities?
    This was only discovered under FoI.

Galway City Council discussed the possibility of a land swap allowing them to create a new cemetery...
    The site in question is located beside a planned new Hospice and other existing services for older people and it was deemed “inappropriate”.
    The idea was floated by City Council officials at a meeting with representatives of West of Ireland hospitals in July.
    http://connachttribune.ie/cemetery-planned-merlin-park-hospital-deemed-inappropriate-400/

I see it England quite a lot. In fact, my local hospital adjoins a graveyard and depending on what floor you are on you can see right into it. The local St Giles hospice is on the same road as the crematorium.

No biggie.

In Holland, my sister's partner g/father was in an old folks home and went off to another part of the building to be euthanized a few months back. Said his goodbyes and off he went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

yes, because there are no reminders of death within the hospice itself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Hospitals have mortuaries....maybe they should be moved off site to avoid upsetting patients?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

There was a nursing home in a town in Cavan called the Omega. I used to pass it every weekend on the way to and from Dublin. Then it suddenly dawned on me the Omega means 'the end'.

So after explaining this to a friend of mine, he insisted that we stop at the Omega the next time we passed through this particular town, and complain to the management about the name being in poor taste.

We went in but the management weren't there so a nurse explained to us that the premises was previously a restaurant and when they changed it into a nursing home, they kept the name the Omega. It just never occurred to them what it meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There was a nursing home in a town in Cavan called the Omega. I used to pass it every weekend on the way to and from Dublin. Then it suddenly dawned on me the Omega means 'the end'.

So after explaining this to a friend of mine, he insisted that we stop at the Omega the next time we passed through this particular town, and complain to the management about the name being in poor taste.

We went in but the management weren't there so a nurse explained to us that the premises was previously a restaurant and when they changed it into a nursing home, they kept the name the Omega. It just never occurred to them what it meant.

Good thing it wasn't called sweet breads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Ipso wrote:
    Good thing it wasn't called sweet breads.

I don't get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

There's no such thing as death, the boneyard is akin to a scrapped car yard, the driver has left the vehicle and moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

They should have an automated death chamber thingy as per Soylent Green.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

pilly wrote: »
    I don't get it?

It's a Hannibal Lector reference, he used to make sweet breads from human organs.
    I was implying that if the previous restaurant was called sweet breads then they would use the patients organs in the new place.
    God I've gone all German and explained my joke.
    Soylent Green would have been a better one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You jest, but...

I don't think I've ever laughed so much -

The Euthanasia Coaster would kill its passengers through prolonged cerebral hypoxia, or insufficient supply of oxygen to the brain. he ride's seven inversions would inflict 10 g on its passengers for 60 seconds – causing g-force related symptoms starting with gray out through tunnel vision to black out and eventually g-LOC (g-force induced loss of consciousness). Subsequent inversions would serve as insurance against unintentional survival of particularly robust passengers.

Down home, our village nursing home is attached to the funeral parlour that is used by all the village, except for those who wake their dead at home.

It's just practical. And the old folk love it; they get 200+ visitors every week or so. Everybody wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I dunno, if I was in a hospice and I knew I was approaching the end of the line I'm not sure id want to be able to see a graveyard out my window..... Then again if I was in my 90s and had a good run maybe id have made my peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Down home, our village nursing home is attached to the funeral parlour that is used by all the village, except for those who wake their dead at home.

It's just practical. And the old folk love it; they get 200+ visitors every week or so. Everybody wins.

My dad's nursing home was across from the cemetery he was buried.
    Very handy in the sense I didn't have to give directions to the relative's I don't talk to.

That's right "Noleen, **** you and your land grabbing Roscommon head".

Advertisement