Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Merino Wool Base Layer

Options
  • 06-10-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I have a few long sleeve winter base layers in synthetic material which I am happy with I want to get another one and I am considering merino wool.
    It sounds good but any advice from anyone who has used merino wool base layers would be appreciated.
    Do they need special washing or can they go in with the rest of the cycling gear?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I find Wiggle's own DHB brand ones very good, wear one all through the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I found DHB good but quick to develop tears (after 2 years IME ). Rapha are more expensive but last longer before tearing. I have a LS for over 4 years and its still in perfect nick.

Not that a few holes makes much difference, it'll still keep you warmer and more comfortable than a synthetic base layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

I have a few pieces of Icebreaker kit. Its got a few small holes in it but nothing that affects the comfort of the tops. I probably haven't worn them as much as I should have but I intend on wearing them a lot more this winter. Machine washable up to 40 degrees according to the labels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Lots of good options on sportpursuit. I really like isobaa, but icebreaker and rivelo also v good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I have a Galibier and an Aldi merino base layer. They've both been fine so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

brownian wrote: »
    Lots of good options on sportpursuit. I really like isobaa, but icebreaker and rivelo also v good.
    I was actually looking at the Isobaa merino base layer on Sports Pursuit which looks good and is reduced from €81 to €35.
    Sale ends today so think I will go for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I use these, Irish company, and very good:
    https://www.urbanfrog.ie/why_merino

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭romperstomper

bought base layer in aldi 5 years ago. used all the time. wore it in today! actually going to try to buy another tonight! (long sleeve on now available)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

I've got loads, icebreaker are the best I have. Merino is great for commuting mainly because it doesn't smell(much)! For longer spins I'd definitely prefer the synthetics, warmer, drys faster, but stinks. Merino gets wet and stays wet, wet wool can feel cold if its windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

^^^
    What he says. Have to say I think merino is a bit overrated. It tends to hold moisture a lot more than synthetics, meaning it can end up feeling cold. It is undoubtedly less pongy. The merino top I have is also less close fitting than a lot of my synthetics, meaning it doesn't fit so well under close fitting cycle wear; but maybe that's a design issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Merino never feels warm or cosy. I don't know how the sheep cope to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    Merino never feels warm or cosy. I don't know how the sheep cope to be honest.

Sure all the sheep in the know switched to Lycra years back...

DSCN0982.jpg

Advertisement