Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S on licence

Options
  • 06-10-2017 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭

Recently applied for a licence for a .22. Grant letter stated that silencer was refused. Licence arrived and it has an S on it. I presume this still means I can't get the silencer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grant letter is not the definitive document, the licence is; but personally I'd call the super. Due diligence cuts both ways, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Sparks wrote: »
    Grant letter is not the definitive document, the licence is; but personally I'd call the super. Due diligence cuts both ways, alas.

When I got the grant letter I rang the FO and he said "no point ringing the super he wont give anyone a silencer any more" (which I understand is a blanket ban and therefore against, at the least, the spirit of the law) and I'm hearing others are getting the same.

Thing is, there is no such role as firearms officer. It's a shorthand we use instead of typing "the garda in the station who handles the application forms most of the time". And if you're caught with a silencer and the super says he didn't grant it, the FO will not be standing beside you in court, and will not testify that he told you the Super was in contempt of the Supreme Court.

Thing is, there is no such role as firearms officer. It's a shorthand we use instead of typing "the garda in the station who handles the application forms most of the time". And if you're caught with a silencer and the super says he didn't grant it, the FO will not be standing beside you in court, and will not testify that he told you the Super was in contempt of the Supreme Court.

Oh yeah, I know that, what I'm saying is, I presume phoning the super is a waste of time, unless the FO is lying to me, and I've no reason to believe he is.

Maybe. But I'd make the call myself. You can at least ask why if you call him.
    But I *really* wouldn't buy a suppressor before talking to him.

• Advertisement

Maybe. But I'd make the call myself. You can at least ask why if you call him.
    But I *really* wouldn't buy a suppressor before talking to him.

Leaning towards just not bothering with one, as took months for application to come back as it was. Would love to know what the problem is with them, it's not like it makes the mighty .22 any more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Say nothing.
    The license has the magic "S"
    He must have changed his mind.................;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Gravelly wrote: »
    Recently applied for a licence for a .22. Grant letter stated that silencer was refused. Licence arrived and it has an S on it. I presume this still means I can't get the silencer?

If the S is on the licence work away,you have a licence for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Same crack in my district "no mods being given" but I tick the box each time..
    And lately granted on my 308.. don't get carried away with he said she said second hand information... you applied and you got it now plough on... why go asking for it to be taken back??
    The Garda Superintendent who granted might well have a different opinion than the other Superintendents who you might end up approaching.. Ive many firearms and many different Superintendents signing them all off.. think before you jump..

why go asking for it to be taken back??
    Because if you have a grant letter saying you're not getting it and a licence giving it, it could be argued in court by the super that you saw an obvious clerical error and took advantage of it. It's basically asking for hassle. Best case, he finds out and gets pissed and your card is now marked with that super for the foreseeable. Worst case he revokes the cert under section 5 and now that's on your record for every application to every super forever along with whatever notes he attaches to it. And that's assuming he doesn't charge you under section 2 for possession of an unlicenced firearm (the suppressor) just to get that on your record as well.

Sure, none of that might ever happen, you might just work away and nobody's ever the wiser. But that's rolling the dice and I know what my luck's like so I wouldn't do it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

What is the problem with moderators/suppressors and the gardai ? Surely their use should be encouraged, if even only for health and safety reasons (stop you going deaf as a board).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

HOLLYWOOD is their problem,nothing else.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Yup, pretty much. If you spend zero on training and make a Garda personally liable for any screwups, they're going to make completely risk-averse decisions like that. "I have no idea what this does or why you'd want it and I've only ever seen them in movies and they were never used for anything good there, so I'll say no and if he wants it that bad, let the DC judge say yes to him".

Maybe if they actually spent money on training... but then, you'd need a government that budgeted for that and senior management that pushed it and we seem to have neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Just checking but is the S in the hologram part of the licence or is the S typed clearly in black?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Just checking but is the S in the hologram part of the licence or is the S typed clearly in black?

On mine it’s typed clearly in black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

BattleCorp wrote: »

S in the hologram means nothing - security item, I suspect.

The S is typed in black ink under the letter e in firearm

see attached photo

J.R. wrote: »

see attached photo

Mine's exactly like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

J.R. wrote: »

see attached photo

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I know one person who thought the hologram was the S.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

The commissioner's guidelines seem to set a far lower burden of proof on the applicant when requesting a suppressor for a .22 for vermin control than for a centerfire for large game.

I would have expected that this would make it pretty easy to get one for a .22lr if the intended use was hunting rabbits etc.

Advertisement