Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confiscating phone without notifying

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

frag420 wrote: »
    ha ha this happened to my housemate last year. The last time it happened they took something sensitive from the drawer along with everything else, files, phone charger,docs etc.

She knew that they had taken it but said nothing. When her director asked for said item she explained that someone stole it from her drawer and that she no longer had it along with everything else that was in the drawer. They checked camera and sure enough someone from facilities or IT had checked the drawers and removed all the stuff.

The director went ape **** as facilities/IT has taken it and kept it in an unsecured box in the facilities/IT office and that was the end of facilities opening peoples drawers in the office!!

Should have robbed it back on the sly, then asked facilities for their stuff back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

We also used to get warnings from Facilities if we were seen walking from the canteen to our desks with an uncovered cup.

Facilities were very popular

Sounds totally silly, but its an insurance/claims issue. That's just the way things are going in this country now. The way they see it is that somebody may walk suddenly around a corner for example and bump into another person carrying a hot cop of tea/coffee. The company would be liable if either person got burned. Take a look at the silly compo claims reported almost daily in the indo and you will see why companies are imposing these rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Different workplaces have different policies. Your friend needs to read his employee handbook and see what it says. That is what the company can do. There's no weird about it some companies demand ultra secure facilities and phones are a no no. In fact from next year with all the changes to data protection from the EU don't be surprised if more workplaces restrict personal phone use at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

titan18 wrote: »
    Sounds like an awful workplace. If someone is being unproductive by staring at the phone, fire them. Not taking them off people who have it on their desks but might only rarely use it or could be expecting a call relating to something important.

Imagine taking someone's phone as their partner was rushed to hospital or something like that, and they missed it.

What are the chances and how often does that happen ?? If that person is sitting at their desk then chances are that there's a phone there and anyone that has to contact them will be able to do so.

Where I work having a phone in work is a sackable offence. Somehow or other we all seem to manage fine for the 12 hours that we're working without the world imploding on us.

Yes but Ive been holding cups a long time. Im quite good at it now

36 years I've been driving without a crash. Doesn't mean that I won't have one on my way home tonight.
    If you owned the company / factory / shop and you were paying the insurance costs would you allow people to walk around with open cups of hot liquid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Birneybau wrote: »
    Tempted, very tempted...

Go on go on.
    You know you want to!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

WhiteRoses wrote:
    I would go ballistic if any of my colleagues/boss removed my personal phone from my desk or on my desk without my permission. Regardless of workplace policies its my personal property and its not on. I would be fuming.

If it is Company policy and you are aware of it, it's your problem. Phones are capable of getting so much commercially sensitive material these days expect it to become the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

titan18 wrote: »

Imagine taking someone's phone as their partner was rushed to hospital or something like that, and they missed it.

Well how did we managed before mobiles? If there was a real emergency someone would phone your workplace switchboard and find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

If it is Company policy and you are aware of it, it's your problem.

Absolutely, and I cannot see how anyone can reasonably argue against that. If personal phones are not allowed within a certain area then of course it should be removed. I have been at offices where having your private phone with you will get you into severe deep water.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yes but Ive been holding cups a long time. Im quite good at it now
    If you've been holding cups of hot coffee for a long time then it's likely that they've gone cold!

• "Confiscating"? Is that the best way to describe it? Does your co-worker have to beg to get it back or something?

Maybe, "Manager takes phone into his office for safe keeping in case it gets nicked?"

Has it been returned yet? Whats the story? Manager not liked generally then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Well how did we managed before mobiles? If there was a real emergency someone would phone your workplace switchboard and find you.

but most offices dont have switchboards anymore.....you have your own phone line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

daheff wrote: »
    but most offices dont have switchboards anymore.....you have your own phone line

Whoever needed to contact you would find some way of doing so. My children are in school and creche and both places have my work phone number on file. If, for example, a family member was involved in an incident maybe the guards would get in touch with work, I'm sure the gardai are used to having to do some quick detective work to find a next of kin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

elperello wrote: »
    What exactly is the job description of someone who works in "facilities"?

Generally, at a minimum:
    * Ensuring health & safety and fire laws are complied with.
    * Ensuring access to the building is available during office hours and out of hours when required.
    * Managing staff, contractor and visitor ID badges.
    * Ensuring staff have appropriate levels of access control.
    * Ensuring approriate facilities, accommodation and maintenance contracts are in place for all facilities (plumbing, electrical, heating, cleaning, catering, waste disposal, security, CCTV, general building upkeep and repairs, etc). Managing these contracts and contractors.
    * Getting things fixed - whether that's by calling in one of the above contractors or sorting the problem yourself with a bucket or toilet plunger...
    * Procurement of energy contracts.
    * Monitoring of power and energy use. Sorting problems with same.
    * Sourcing and provision of office furniture and accommodation.

Can obviously include much more than this, but that's a good start...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

elperello wrote: »
    What exactly is the job description of someone who works in "facilities"?

https://i.imgur.com/NGcJNTV.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ha!
    It's like buses, I'm waiting since Friday for some illumination about this and two come together.
    Problem is I don't know who to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

What are the chances and how often does that happen ?? If that person is sitting at their desk then chances are that there's a phone there and anyone that has to contact them will be able to do so.

Where I work having a phone in work is a sackable offence. Somehow or other we all seem to manage fine for the 12 hours that we're working without the world imploding on us.

I have been in a similar situation with my son who has several medical issues one being febrile convulsions. Normally I wouldn't have my phone on me in work (teacher) but last yr I happened to be on a school trip when I got the call from creche my son was having a convulsion in creche (his first there) -- both I and creche were glad I was able to answer that call when it rang as I was able to talk them through it and determine whether an ambulance was needed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We also used to get warnings from Facilities if we were seen walking from the canteen to our desks with an uncovered cup.

Facilities were very popular

We need to put one hand on the bannister on the stairs when walking... And yes that means you can't walk upstairs carrying items that require two hands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭bmc58

Call the Gardai and report your phone stolen.That will soften his cough.

Where was this? Stalingrad?

That's modern health and safety... I'm sure it's standard in most places

I've always thought health and safety was going too far lately, however when you look at the goal it's understandable I guess. The goal is to have no injuries whatsoever in work. Nobody can claim injuries from scalding coffee because you have to cover your cup... Nobody can fall down the stairs coz you have to hold the bannister... Nobody can get run over coz youre all walking in a straight line along marked lines... Safety clothing means No broken toes, Nó bruised heads, mo chemicals in the eyes... Most companies now cannot be sued because if you get injured you've probably been doing something you shouldn't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

My workplace suddenly doesn't seem so bad after all.

embraer170 wrote: »
    My workplace suddenly doesn't seem so bad after all.

I struggle with rules and cringe looking out the window at everyone walking the same straight lines..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

We need to put one hand on the bannister on the stairs when walking... And yes that means you can't walk upstairs carrying items that require two hands

splat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

SSII wrote: »
    He left his personal phone to charge in a drawer.
    Is that not stealing electricity from your employer?
    Best make a fuss OP. There's no way this could backfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SSII wrote: »
    He left his personal phone to charge in a drawer.
    Why did he have to hide it to charge it? It's almost like he knew he wasn't meant to charge it?

• Come on come on OP, what happened next? What happened next? Was it all a big misunderstanding? Is your friend and the boss dating now?

Advertisement