Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

western union and worldremit cancelled

Options
  • 06-10-2017 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

Used western union to send money to someone earlier in the year in pakistan for some sporting goods. 350e. no problem.

Sent more money, 500e this time, about 2 weeks ago to same guy, transaction suspended. Went back and forth with WU and eventually they cancelled it without notice and told my they wont let me send anymore money. They wont tell me why. I had to mail in some more information as a kind of a dispute resolution but still rejected.

I opened an account with worldremit, sort of same thing as WU, they asked for a drivers licence photo as ID, verification no problem, uploaded, day later, payment cancelled, money refunded and account terminated. I rang, they wont tell me why and ended the call abruptly.

Anyone any ideas how that happens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Could be an issue with the person you are sending funds to - how legit are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Could be an issue with the person you are sending funds to - how legit are they?

I would consider legit. I ordered sporting goods from them earlier this year, goods arrived as expected on time. Perfect condition.

I know 3 other people who ordered from them and goods arrived perfect.

I just tried again with azimo, if that fails maybe a bank to bank transfer direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Perhaps Google your name and the country you are sending the money to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

the_syco wrote: »

It's much more likely a problem with the recipient than the OP.

the_syco wrote: »

it may actually be this. I had to send a clearance mail to western union.

They sent me back a questionnaire asking for the following
    Supporting documentation on source of funds (e.g. bank statement, contract, salary paper, Business License or other business related documentation)
    Supporting documentation on usage of received funds (e.g. invoices, bills, Mortgage Statement, Loan Statement, Receipts for goods or services purchased)
    Copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates, or other documents supporting sender and payee relationship
    Any possible documentation that could prove that you have met receivers (e.g. pictures, copy of receivers ID, birth certificate, flight tickets)
    Property Title or other property evidence
    Medical bills or certificates
    Letter of Explanation (For example, a letter on company letterhead explaining your position in the organization and why you are sending on their behalf)

I wanted to buy some football tops. :D:D:D:D:D

I dont need them that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,023 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seller has probably been selling fakes in that case

L1011 wrote: »
    Seller has probably been selling fakes in that case

I bought some gaa footballs off him earlier this year. Perfect. Not fake. Not labelled. Couriered delivery. Found him on alibaba.

If he's selling fakes to others, he didn't to me. Not that I asked him mind you.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I wonder is there also a concern about terrorist financing? Seems a bit extreme, but I think Pakistan is on a list of countries that require extra info for sending funds to make sure it's a legit transactions. I remember having a customer who used to make regular transfers back home to his family in Pakistan and the amount of hoops the guy had to jump through to get the money sent was unreal.

The reason I say that is because that list of what you were asked for is very similar to all the info I used to have to collect for this customer and send off to the international banking dept to get them to initiate the transfer.

Toots wrote: »
    I wonder is there also a concern about terrorist financing? Seems a bit extreme, but I think Pakistan is on a list of countries that require extra info for sending funds to make sure it's a legit transactions. I remember having a customer who used to make regular transfers back home to his family in Pakistan and the amount of hoops the guy had to jump through to get the money sent was unreal.

The reason I say that is because that list of what you were asked for is very similar to all the info I used to have to collect for this customer and send off to the international banking dept to get them to initiate the transfer.

very possible toots but I tried another place , azimo.com and they refused straight away. So that was 3 sites. All 3 sites said the cancellation was on my end though. None would elaborate further.

westernunion are the only ones who asked for more info (posted above). Possibly my name. ( not a straightforward irish name)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,023 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The recipient is clearly marked. If a Pakistani vendor sells Gaelic balls they probably sell some trademark breaking gear for another trademark

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    The recipient is clearly marked. If a Pakistani vendor sells Gaelic balls they probably sell some trademark breaking gear for another trademark

I gave that that consideration alright,I asked WU and they were very clear, the block was on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I bought some gaa footballs off him earlier this year. Perfect. Not fake. Not labelled. Couriered delivery. Found him on alibaba.

If they are branded and not labelled, then they are most likely fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I gave that that consideration alright,I asked WU and they were very clear, the block was on my side.

Get someone else to make the payment perhaps?

If they are branded and not labelled, then they are most likely fakes.

They are not branded so they are not fakes, ie, I didnt buy them with a manufacturers logo on them hoping they were of a certain quality and not getting that. I was expecting a quality generic product and thats what I got. Very happy with it. Hence me making another order.

Get someone else to make the payment perhaps?

have done that. waiting to see will it complete

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭Tow

Most lightly recipient (or senders) name in a AML/CFT blacklist.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Just to conclude this, I got someone else to send western union and it was blocked as well. They offered very little in the way of interaction to fix the situation.

I tried another company called www.azimo.com, they also blocked it but offered a way the payment could go through, I did have to send a good bit of info on what the payment was actually for including copies of email exchanges to prove the deal was legit, then had to send the money through azimo direct from my bank rather than from my card, but the payment got there in the end.

Their compliance department said it was the country and the sum of money that was flagging it, not either sender or receiver.

Way more helpful than the other 2 companies. First payment was free as well so cheaper than WU. :)

Advertisement