Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance won't give straight answer

Options
  • 06-10-2017 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

I'm going private in Holles street and they sent me a list of questions for. Y insurer. Did anyone else get this?
    They advised to confirm with the insurer in writing. My insurer emailed back the usual spiel about maternity benefits without answering the questions. When I emailed again they pretty much said any further matters will be assessed at point of claim- which means I can't answer the questions. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

No but they are legally obliged to answer any questions you have in basic English. Keep ringing them and ask them to answer your questions.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I went semi-p in Holles st and didn't get this but one of my friends is going private and she got it - I think it's to make sure you're definitely covered so you don't end up with any nasty surprises when you're being discharged. I did find that my health insurer was a bit sketchy with answering questions - it was like they are too lazy to actually read what you're asking, and just copy and paste stuff from the policy document, which isn't the clearest to begin with. Keep at them, and ask to speak to a supervisor/manager if possible. Also, I'd be using email or online chat for all correspondence because with the chat you can email yourself a transcript of everything that was said. That way if they start trying to deny that they said things were covered, you'll have proof of what you were told.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I vaguely remember something about checking health insurance. Hospital will make you sign a form saying you are liable if you insurance won't pay. I signed it at 12 week appointment.
    When I went in to have my baby they made my husband sign a form saying he would be liable of health insurance wouldn't pay!!!!!
    I got the copy of my bill a few weeks ago.....it was €1000 per night for my own room, €120 pediatrician to check baby on leaving hospital, €300ish for vaginal Delivery and maybe €100ish for pathology. I am sure these prices are on website?

The most important question to ask is......have you served any waiting period for maternity cover! (It's 52 weeks).

You also need to ask if you are admitted for a problem during your pregnancy (god forbid) how are you covered?
    Tbh it reverts back to your normal cover in a public hospital but check.

If you are with laya they will refund you the consultant fee benefit straight away but vhi don't refund until after the baby is born.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Millem I'm covered for the usual private room, cover for 52 weeks etc. What they won't give a straight answer on the questions like if I need an induction do they cover extra nights, if I'm admitted during pregnancy with complications is it covered, and so on

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Millem I'm covered for the usual private room, cover for 52 weeks etc. What they won't give a straight answer on the questions like if I need an induction do they cover extra nights, if I'm admitted during pregnancy with complications is it covered, and so on
    The rule is they cover for as long as is "medically necessary". This is the case with vhi and laya. Not sure about other insurers.
    If you are with laya you can live chat with them and it is all emailed to you.

• Advertisement

I am on my phone and presses send too quick!
    Your standard 3/5 nights don't start until you are in delivery suite. In my case waters broke.....they didn't think anything would happen till next day so if I spent a night in the pre labour ward or whatever it's called that wouldn't be one of my nights! It would if been covered under my general health insurance cover,

Basically as long as your consultant signs off on a medical reason for you to stay longer after you deliver laya/vhi and will cover!
    I had to go through everything in great detail with them as I switched from laya to vhi during my pregnancy. (Same cover plans).
    All calls are recorded by the way which they can listen back to!

Advertisement