Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student leaving work due to illness and college, what are my income options?

Options
  • 06-10-2017 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi everyone,

I returned to full-time education last year. Continued with PLC Level 6 and now I’m in 2nd year of third level of a 3 year degree (Level 7) (advanced entry). Throughout my adolescent life up to now I have suffered with a lot of pain and have had two laparoscopic surgeries in the last 4 years to remove cysts from my ovaries, the 2nd was only 7 weeks ago to remove more cysts and adhesions inside my abdomen. My quality of life has been relatively poor and most days if I exert myself physically (which tends to be normal daily activities) I end up buckled over in pain for hours. Painkillers are not helping and even though I had two operations doctors still don't have a definite diagnosis for the recurring pain. I find standing for long periods of time as one of the triggers to the nausea, aching and sharp pain as well as heavy lifting, bending to lift etc. I also have a history of depression, anxiety and lower back problems. Endometriosis has been mentioned to me several times but not officially diagnosed. I managed to work part-time last year at weekends. In my job I stand for long periods of time, lift, bend etc. which as I said is one of the triggers for pain. In turn, the pain causes fatigue and low mood.:(:(
    I have been feeling unwell since I continued at the IT and I found the transition difficult from PLC.
    As a result I have decided to give up my job.. I feel my health is more important. I am very worried about giving it up as I like having my own money and car, independence but can't handle the impact it's having on me.
    I will have no source of income, I am still living at home but will not be supported regarding the essentials (food, car, phone bill). Does anyone know if there any way I would be entitled to income support? I have researched p50 form, student assistance fund but finding it difficult to understand if I would qualify any of them or am I wasting my time? I applied for and received SUSI but no maintenance just the course fee of €3000 which is great but I have nothing to live on. I'm feeling lost. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

TIA

Advertisement