Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E39 engine dies

Options
  • 06-10-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

My 2002 525i (petrol) will only run for a few seconds before dying. The engine ran badly (especially when idling) for a half hour before it stopped.

It may be connected to a temporary malfunction in the alternator earlier. It stopped charging the battery and everything went haywire - dashboard lights on all over the place and all the electrics shut down, including headlamps and gear change. I couldn't stop the car immediately because I had to find a safe place to pull in.

When I started it again the next day the alternator gave no trouble but the engine was definitely different.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Mod: Moved to Motors where people should be better able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aa_

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

well could be due to what you say but i would start with, pulling codes, checking fuel pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Check your Alternator and Battery first, then if that doesn't work unplug your MAF and leave it run like that. If it runs ok you more than likely have a duff MAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aa_

Thanks, I'll give these things a try. Looks like I need a diagnostic tool to pull the codes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement