Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any signs of a housing crisis in Sligo?

Options
  • 06-10-2017 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

I know Sligo is not Dublin but are there any signs of a housing crisis in Sligo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I know Sligo is not Dublin but are there any signs of a housing crisis in Sligo?

If there is I don't think it's as evident as other counties. I also don't think there's been that many new jobs to attract people back compared to some other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

EmptyTree wrote: »
    If there is I don't think it's as evident as other counties. I also don't think there's been that many new jobs to attract people back compared to some other counties.

We have been renters for the past few years and have found the quality of rental accommodation fairly poor, a lot of the accommodation not even cleaned or maintenance work done after the previous tenant. And when you move in and ask to have problems remedied you are viewed as a trouble maker.

We want to buy a family home in the next couple of years but the supply of new homes just doesn't seem to be coming.

If say hypothetically a company was to announce that they were going to create 300-400 new skilled jobs in Sligo, although many would be commuters there would be a huge demand on a static housing market.

Another possible cause is new household formations and natural population increases. Children are still being born in Sligo ( new and bigger houses required). Couples are still getting married and moving in together. A certain level of demand should be there.

Is development land been hoarded within the boundaries of the town? Are there any unfinished estates in the town? Do the banks control valuable development land? Are there any housing developments going through the planning process?

• I hope you get the answers you're looking for. It all seems such a mess. Society seems no further forward. And landlords just keep on pushing prices up.

You might be best to phone a friendly auctioneer with those questions.

I've attached an article that generally details the situation you have highlighted. And yes generally developers seem to be holding back developing land for whatever reasons. But I've no information to offer about Sligo.

In the meantime, are there any options for you to build or buy an old property and develop it?

Good luck with things.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/michael-o-flynn-backs-tax-on-those-hoarding-development-land-1.3127153

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

We have been renters for the past few years and have found the quality of rental accommodation fairly poor, a lot of the accommodation not even cleaned or maintenance work done after the previous tenant. And when you move in and ask to have problems remedied you are viewed as a trouble maker.

We want to buy a family home in the next couple of years but the supply of new homes just doesn't seem to be coming.

I guess it depends on you're point of view, I'm currently looking to buy in Limerick and by comparison Sligo has a stock of houses at prices I could only dream of.

Outside (and even inside) the major cities in Ireland proper professional landlords are few and far between. The overall standard of rental accommodation has certainly been lowered by the housing crisis.
    Is development land been hoarded within the boundaries of the town? Are there any unfinished estates in the town? Do the banks control valuable development land? Are there any housing developments going through the planning process?

I wouldn't be as close to it anymore but I haven't heard any developments in the pipeline, but with a reasonable stock of secondhand houses and no sign of any major job announcements I'd say it'll be a while before anything like this happens. Any time I'm in town it also feels like there aren't many in the 25-35 house buying age bracket which probably doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I was in that bracket 2 years ago and we bought a house - we had enough of paying 700 for *****y 4 bed semi in Sligo Town - we moved outside town and bought nice house.
    Only problem for ppl, not only 25-35, is to get mortgage from bank - we were lucky enough to get loan from council.

Just to add rent was 700 per month and we couldn't get mortgage from bank that would be 450 per month

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn't create this thread in order to vent my frustration about not being able to find a house to buy, sorry if I gave that impression. I am more interested to find out why no one has taking a chance and built some houses in the town.

That said I would consider moving out of the town if the right house came available.

Loki7777 I would be interested in hearing move on how you went about getting a loan from the Council, could you please pm me how they assess applicants?

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Any time I'm in town it also feels like there aren't many in the 25-35 house buying age bracket which probably doesn't help.

They are probably at home minding their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭FirefighterT7

loki7777 wrote: »
    I was in that bracket 2 years ago and we bought a house - we had enough of paying 700 for *****y 4 bed semi in Sligo Town - we moved outside town and bought nice house.
    Only problem for ppl, not only 25-35, is to get mortgage from bank - we were lucky enough to get loan from council.

Just to add rent was 700 per month and we couldn't get mortgage from bank that would be 450 per month

Hi loki7777 if also love to hear about the council loan route as I think may help me too if you wouldn’t mind sharing? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don't think so - and it's a reflection that Sligo town is not thriving and the town is just not growing. It's a very stagnant, static market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement