Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MATCH THREAD: Leinster vs Munster, Aviva Sat 07th 14:00, SS Main & Arena

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Side note.

The munster fan I was in the pub with also didn't think it was a forward pass. He didn't see it live properly, but because it was so far forward he assumed it was a kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Is that true? That's pretty bad if it is. Funny though!

It is true, it's why must Munster fans can't take him seriously

Erik Shin wrote: »
    It is true, it's why must Munster fans can't take him seriously

This is the reason?

To be fair, I've seen young star performers given MOTM when their team has gotten a drubbing. Not the norm but it does happen.

If this is the cause celebre against Reggie then I'd be beginning to worry about some of ye lot.

Don't agree with Thornley's comments about the fixture. The match at the weekend and the last game in Thomond were meek affairs, nothing in comparison to bygone years.

On another note I see Darcy reckons Adam Byrne is knocking on the door of Irish selection. Would have thought the likes of Sweetnam and Stockdale would have beaten him there but can really only see Stockdale ahead of him now. Sweetnam hasn't kicked on and his weaknesses have unfortunately become quite glaring.

errlloyd wrote: »
    To be fair to Richie - there is a video with Bryn Cunnigham that did the rounds a while ago, and it demonstrated how it is virtually impossible to pass the ball backwards by the laws definition while running.

You're not wrong on this at all, your action can be to throw the ball backwards but it will travel forward with momentum etc.

That doesn't apply to Farrell. He just threw it forward. He's not moving with any real speed forward when he throws it, he's closer to running towards the touchline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Byrne has improved greatly. Definite starter for Leinster now.

For Ireland... Earls is a definite starter. Zebo may well be the option at 15 now given the absence of Payne and Kearney. Then you have the Trimble/Bowe question. If Bowe isn't going to be the man any more for the right wing then I'd say Byrne has probably done enough to put himself in contention. I'd assume Stockdale will be heavily involved given his form and given he was on tour.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bowe getting selected would be disappointing. Would be a pick on past reputation alone, a slippery slope for any coach.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Anything to be said for Sweetnam? I'd expect him to get a cap, would hope he starts the Fiji game.

awec wrote: »
    Bowe getting selected would be disappointing. Would be a pick on past reputation alone, a slippery slope for any coach.

Yeah he should be left out. Got got picked for the Wales game last season on the bench and was given about 30 seconds off the bench. What is the point in picking such an outside back if you don't think they're going to come on and make any impact in a game you're losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

He's looked sharp enough this season. If he's picked ahead of Stockdale for Ulster in these next two matches, it gives him a shot.

He's looked sharp enough this season. If he's picked ahead of Stockdale for Ulster in these next two matches, it gives him a shot.

If this happens I'm calling for a revolution. A coup d'etat at Ravenhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bowe is going to be 35 come the RWC. He's not really an option Ireland want to be reliant on. I'd only look at him if there are injuries during the Six Nations and there's a shot at winning the Championship.

The AIs should be a platform for someone like Stockdale to play against meaningful opponents, even if Bowe is ahead of him at Ulster.

If this happens I'm calling for a revolution. A coup d'etat at Ravenhill.

And what happens if Stockdale is picked and gets turned inside out by the Wasps backline?

If it was Leinster in a must win game I'd be looking at Bowe personally. He is playing well this season and he is an extremely safe pair of hands. This isn't a game for building towards the future.

And what happens if Stockdale is picked and gets turned inside out by the Wasps backline?

If it was Leinster in a must win game I'd be looking at Bowe personally. He is playing well this season and he is an extremely safe pair of hands. This isn't a game for building towards the future.

Stockdale has been far better this season when I've seen them. I'd want him every time.

I'd have Stockdale and Piutau on the wings and Ludik at 15.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

aloooof wrote: »
    Anything to be said for Sweetnam? I'd expect him to get a cap, would hope he starts the Fiji game.

Might be just me, but Wootton looks a more interesting candidate at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'd pick Stockdale fwiw, but we're still working off a very small sample size in what we've seen of him. His big game experience is basically zero, he needs starts against Wasps and La Rochelle.

Stockdale has been far better this season when I've seen them. I'd want him every time.

I'd have Stockdale and Piutau on the wings and Ludik at 15.

If my coup goes ahead I am replacing Les Kiss with you IBF.

If my coup goes ahead I am replacing Les Kiss with you IBF.

Ulster couldn't afford me, I'll go to Montpellier most likely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wait a second....we've gone from having a discussion on something from the Leinster match in the Ireland thread to having a discussion on Ireland selection on the Leinster match thread

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Wait a second....we've gone from having a discussion on something from the Leinster match in the Ireland thread to having a discussion on Ireland selection on the Leinster match thread

Jaysus Podge will you keep up. We're talking about Ulster selections now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The logic is that if you have traveled 5m and the ball has traveled 3.5m then by definition you must have thrown the ball backwards as if you threw it forward then it would have your speed and the speed of being thrown forward and thus would go further then you.

The logic completely ignores the deceleration on the ball and the fact you are continuing to exert force with your legs and is completely wrong.

Your second paragraph highlights a very relevant point. The passer would always have to be level or ahead of the ball, and not just overtake it once drag has slowed it down. I think this is the case in this instance, or at least there's not enough there to rule it definitely forward - which is the basis on which refs operate on.

430318.png

That ball is very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very clearly forward.

You'd think that, wouldn't you? But by then he's swung his hands back from the precise point of release. As well as that, this camera angle makes it easy to confuse the fact that he's throwing it up at quite an angle with throwing it forward

You'd think that, wouldn't you? But by then he's swung his hands back from the precise point of release. As well as that, this camera angle makes it easy to confuse the fact that he's throwing it up at quite an angle with throwing it forward

You're trying real hard, I'll give you that. You're still completely wrong of course.

As wind-ups go, this one if nearly as obvious as the Te'o stuff.

The pass could well be forward. It does look suspicious on the close-up replay. I just think there's enough doubt for it not to be classed as "clearly and obviously" forward. It's interesting that Whitehouse, who was well-placed, called it flat in real time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The pass could well be forward. It does look suspicious on the close-up replay. I just think there's enough doubt for it not to be classed as "clearly and obviously" forward. It's interesting that Whitehouse, who was well-placed, called it flat in real time

He then subsequently saw the image provided by camera 1 who was well well-placed to call it forward in hindsight.

Literally took one look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

molloyjh wrote: »
    That ball is very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very clearly forward.

But, but, but, Sir ! Maths :

Velocity component vector vx(t)=dx(t)dtvy(t)2+dy(t)dtvz(t) x srt (dz(t)dt)

Transpose this to the red end of the visible light spectrum* : and the ball is clearly moving backwards.

*In physics, redshift happens when light or other electromagnetic radiation from an object is increased in wavelength, or shifted to the red end of the spectrum. In general, whether or not the radiation is within the visible spectrum, "redder" means an increase in wavelength – equivalent to a lower frequency and a lower photon energy, in accordance with, respectively, the wave and quantum theories of light.

I can quote the source even :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift

Think we're done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement