Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man fcuked over by his Ex

1235»

Comments

I'm still interested if he is legally obliged to pay child support.

I imagine so. I doubt circumstances like this are allowed for by the law, and even then it would be argued that it's not the childs fault, and the child is indeed still his and so withdrawing support would be punishing the innocent party. It's not paternity fraud, it's definitely his child and the law doesn't really do moral nuance when it comes to footing the bills.

I assume he'd be reluctant to pursue that avenue anyway, if he loves his child he's not going to want it knowing he a) didn't want them to exist, b) didn't want to provide for their care, and finally c) wanted to have it's mother punished for having them. He's between a rock and a hard place.

And of course all of this makes it all the more unfair, as the mother gets away with the fraud and he pays all the consequences. That said, I'm sure he loves his kid and wouldn't be without them now, not that it mitigates what the mother did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Candie wrote: »
    I imagine so. I doubt circumstances like this are allowed for by the law, and even then it would be argued that it's not the childs fault, and the child is indeed still his and so withdrawing support would be punishing the innocent party.

Its not withdrawing support in a sense though, its reassigning the burden for that support to the person responsible for creating it.

Its not withdrawing support in a sense though, its reassigning the burden for that support to the person responsible for creating it.

I think it would be hard to get past the child being his biologically, legally.

Besides, he seems to love the child and wants to support it. I'd assume he'd feel withdrawing support would be targeting the wrong person. I'm not saying she shouldn't have to pay in some way for what was, after all, a crime, I'm just saying I don't think the legal system will act on the best interests of the father above that of the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Here's a thought experiment for ye. How much more trouble would the guy in this case be if

He finds out he can't have kids with wife #2. Goes to clinic gets wife #2 to forge wife #1's sig and wife #2 ends up giving birth to his and wife#1's baby. For some reason unknown to us wife #2 can't donate eggs to try ivf with her own stuff.

I'm imagining jail time for the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Conspectus wrote: »
    Here's a thought experiment for ye. How much more trouble would the guy in this case be if

He finds out he can't have kids with wife #2. Goes to clinic gets wife #2 to forge wife #1's sig and wife #2 ends up giving birth to his and wife#1's baby. For some reason unknown to us wife #2 can't donate eggs to try ivf with her own stuff.

And widespread condemnation for sure.

Its not a comparable scenario though, since wife number two is not the biological parent, and the father in this case indisputably is.

And the second wife would also be guilty of theft, and morally much worse by virtue of making herself pregnant with another womans baby without that womans consent. I can't imagine how that would impact a person with fertility issues, to have their prospective child stolen. I can't imagine her getting off scott free.

Note: I absolutely have no support for the woman is this case, just in case anyone thinks my disagreeing with the comparability of this scenario indicates support. These threads get so touchy that I shouldn't feel I have to underline this, but just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

If I was in that situation. I'd hire Conor74. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

If I was in that situation. I'd hire Conor74. :D

He'd make a great Barrister.

I'd definitely hire him to be on my side.

By the way I still think the guy didn't consent.....

Come on people, why do you absolutely need to convince the ONE guy who is on a complete wind up to agree with you all, which he is not going to do and is having a great laugh about it.
    We have simply argued this one point over and over for severely pages now and we just need to move on.
    I'm still interested if he is legally obliged to pay child support.

So the poster who thought repeating the same point again and again was gas - until rebuked by the mods - is now critical about arguing the same point over and over.

You clearly don't do irony.

Of course he should pay child support. The child is his and child maintenance is based in the child's needs, not his. He may have forgotten about the embryo, but hopefully this case will remind him of his child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

(AFAIK in the U.K. embryos aren't regarded as property - open to correction!!, so he might not have have stolen them).

Let's spice it up the thought experiment:

Throw into the mix above that wife1 is much more wealthy. Now that the child is living with the parent with care (childs father and wife2) , would the now non resident parent (mother/wife1) be expected to pay support...?

Hardly fair either

Its not a comparable scenario though, since wife number two is not the biological parent, and the father in this case indisputably is.

And the second wife would also be guilty of theft, and morally much worse by virtue of making herself pregnant with another womans baby without that womans consent. I can't imagine how that would impact a person with fertility issues, to have their prospective child stolen. I can't imagine her getting off scott free.

Note: I absolutely have no support for the woman is this case, just in case anyone thinks my disagreeing with the comparability of this scenario indicates support. These threads get so touchy that I shouldn't feel I have to underline this, but just in case.

How isn't it comparable? Wife 1 created a baby without the mans consent and stole his sperm to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

So a woman could break in to a man's house, fish a **** tissue from the bin, extract some semen, become pregnant and successfully sue for child support. Very hypothetical, I know. :D

You'd like to think, but there's worse believe it or not as in the states male child abuse victims have been sued for child support:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996-12-22/features/9612220045_1_pay-child-support-child-support-behalf

There's loads more but where the woman involved weren't convicted (given that they weren't reported mostly) that pay child support for children they fathered as a result of being statutorily raped. The most well known of which would be Nick Olivas.

How isn't it comparable? Wife 1 created a baby without the mans consent and stole his sperm to do so.

In the proposed scenario the husband implanted the first wifes embryo in another woman. There's more there. The original case involved the child of the two players, the other scenario puts another persons child in a third party.

In the proposed scenario the husband implanted the first wifes embryo in another woman. There's more there. The original case involved the child of the two players, the other scenario puts another persons child in a third party.

But the third person just done exactly what the wife done, had the consent of one partner of the embryo to produce a child.

But the third person just done exactly what the wife done, had the consent of one partner of the embryo to produce a child.

But it's not just the theft of an embryo by one of it's 'owners', it's the theft of an embryo and it's implantation into an unrelated third party. It's simply not the same situation. The third party has no biological claim or ownership over the embryo.

I don't support the woman in this case at all, and it kind of diminishes the impact of the whole thing if we start inventing ever more convoluted scenarios. It's bad enough on it's own merits.

• Advertisement

But it's not just the theft of an embryo by one of it's 'owners', it's the theft of an embryo and it's implantation into an unrelated third party. It's simply not the same situation. The third party has no biological claim or ownership over the embryo.

I don't support the woman in this case at all, and it kind of diminishes the impact of the whole thing if we start inventing ever more convoluted scenarios. It's bad enough on it's own merits.

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to derail the thread also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You'd like to think, but there's worse believe it or not as in the states male child abuse victims have been sued for child support:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996-12-22/features/9612220045_1_pay-child-support-child-support-behalf

There's loads more but where the woman involved weren't convicted (given that they weren't reported mostly) that pay child support for children they fathered as a result of being statutorily raped. The most well known of which would be Nick Olivas.

As the article says, that is off the charts crazy and ridiculous. But I think America is a wonderful country for mindlessly and belligerently applying laws regardless of sense, logic or circumstances.
    Imagine a rape victim paying child support. I just have no words for that.

Imagine a rape victim paying child support. I just have no words for that.

I would imagine lots of rape victims have to pay child support, just in the more direct form of having to raise a child for at least 18 years.

I would imagine lots of rape victims have to pay child support, just in the more direct form of having to raise a child for at least 18 years.

Always oneup(wo)manship going on.

At the risk of going off topic rape victims aren't FORCED to bring up a child.

I'm sure the sistahood will finally take my membership card off me but this not a feminist issue, this is a scheming conniving **** who wanted what she wanted and took it anyway.

She's no better than a rapist imho.

Always oneup(wo)manship going on.

At the risk of going off topic rape victims aren't FORCED to bring up a child.

I'm sure the sistahood will finally take my membership card off me but this not a feminist issue, this is a scheming conniving **** who wanted what she wanted and took it anyway.

She's no better than a rapist imho.

What are you going on about? What feminism or oneupmanship?

I was simply pointing out that its not exactly unprecedented that a rape victim suffers consequences as a result of that rape, that the US law quoted is perhaps not as arbitrary as it might seem at first.

• Advertisement

What are you going on about? What feminism or oneupmanship?

I was simply pointing out that its not exactly unprecedented that a rape victim suffers consequences as a result of that rape, that the US law quoted is perhaps not as arbitrary as it might seem at first.

Men are - in this case, quite rightly - viewed as the victim.

The next post feels is necessary to point out that women are also victims.

Not needed and not relevant to the thread.

Men are - in this case, quite rightly - viewed as the victim.

The next post feels is necessary to point out that women are also victims.

Not needed and not relevant to the thread.

Whats not relevant is you interjecting your crusade to the discussion, the only way I could be described as having feminist views is if you see everything in terms of feminism. In which case, get over yourself.

Whats not relevant is you interjecting your crusade to the discussion, the only way I could be described as having feminist views is if you see everything in terms of feminism. Get over yourself.

I have no crusade, I don't see where you'd get that from ?

I haven't raised a non-sequitor to the discussion here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I imagine few rape victims have to. Generally they have alternatives like abortion or adoption. They may feel a moral,ethical or emotional obligation but it isn't really comparable to a legally imposed burden.

psinno wrote: »
    I imagine few rape victims have to. Generally they have alternatives like abortion or adoption. They may feel a moral,ethical or emotional obligation but it isn't really comparable to a legally imposed burden.

+1,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Shemale wrote: »
    Absolutely it's a disgrace that she stole his signature, the clinic should not carry out something like this without witnessing both signatures.

At the same time he knew they had broken up and he knew his sperm was in the clinic and he would have known his ex. If it was me the first thing I would have done was got an injunction against using the embryo. He is not without some blame here.

He didn't need an injunction! She did need his written consent however!!!

Advertisement