Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic Of Ireland vs Moldova Match Thread

• 06-10-2017 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

22254914_1696974350321304_4240974574617955160_o.jpg?oh=a74bc500c9e6d1d207762612791e0b2e&oe=5A796BBB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Plenty of hoofball hopefully we get the knockdown's & get the win.

Could turn into a very nervy game if it is 0-0 after 60 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Christ how many chances can Shane Long get? Give someone else a go MoN.

2-0. Hoolahan with a long range cracker of a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

1-0 scrappy tap-in after plenty of defensive bog-ball and making Moldova look like Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

justshane wrote: »
    Christ how many chances can Shane Long get? Give someone else a go MoN.

Yep its crazy. At this stage Maguire, Hogan, Horgan etc should all be given a shot. Things are stale with usual people involved so surely its time to change the personnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

2 strikers starting perfect.

alta stare wrote: »
    Yep its crazy. At this stage Maguire, Hogan, Horgan etc should all be given a shot. Things are stale with usual people involved so surely its time to change the personnel.

I think stale is a great word for it. Longs has a great attitude but it just doesn't work with him. You would think this would be the perfect game to see if one of the above mentioned can make a big impact and take to international football.

Duff wrote: »
    1-0 scrappy tap-in after plenty of defensive bog-ball and making Moldova look like Germany.

Thats what we need so that'd be ideal. 3pts are a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Leave out our most experienced striker, who plays at a higher level than any of the names you mention, for this crunch, must-win game? I'd consider that crazy tbh.

The selection of O'Dowda is the one that worries me. I haven't seen him do anything special for club or country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

With the team picked we should win the game but O'Neil chickened out by not giving one of the newer players a chance. Hopefully we will see them on as subs.

I think stale is a great word for it. Longs has a great attitude but it just doesn't work with him. You would think this would be the perfect game to see if one of the above mentioned can make a big impact and take to international football.

Long is poor. When he came on the scene he was an exciting prospect but now he is just another average player with one thing going for him and thats his pace. We need a goalscorer big time and Long is not the answer.

Leave out our most experienced striker, who plays at a higher level than any of the names you mention, for this crunch, must-win game? I'd consider that crazy tbh.

The selection of O'Dowda is the one that worries me. I haven't seen him do anything special for club or country.

I can see your point of view but he just doesn't put the ball in the back of the net for us. We need to try something different because it's not working for him.

With the team picked we should win the game but O'Neil chickened out by not giving one of the newer players a chance. Hopefully we will see them on as subs.

Whats O'Dowda?

I can see your point of view but he just doesn't put the ball in the back of the net for us. We need to try something different because it's not working for him.

He put the ball in the net in the crunch game against Germany in the last campaign.

Experimenting with new ideas is fine but not when you are in a must-win situation. Throwing in Hogan or Maguire would be a gamble. You don't know how they are going to react to the situation. You don't know if the occasion will get to them. At least you know what you will get from Long and Murphy.

To be fair we are gone. Im usually positive about Ireland but given what we need to happen for us to get a playoff i dont see the problem in putting these guys in.

The same players who have done nothing for us playing game after game is not good. The teams need a refresh and it needs it quick or else the Euros campaign is gonna be a long one.

He put the ball in the net in the crunch game against Germany in the last campaign.

Experimenting with new ideas is fine but not when you are in a must-win situation. Throwing in Hogan or Maguire would be a gamble. You don't know how they are going to react to the situation. You don't know if the occasion will get to them. At least you know what you will get from Long and Murphy.

You said gamble? Thats exactly what needs to happen, gamble on better players than Long.

He did and it was great for us, but he doesn't do it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Wes starting tonight means he's unlikely to start in Cardiff. Might be better to bring him off the bench with a half hour left in that game if needed. We should have plenty in hand to win tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Cannot argue with thw line up. No problems with Long upfront. He should get a couple of chances this evening...a goal would do his confidence the world of good.

I can see why O 'Dowda is picked...will provide most of the width in that team.

Hopefully we will get a few goals, maybe get one of the new guys a run out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anyone got the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I hope we win tonight if just to keep the campaign going to the last game BUT I wouldn't bet on it. MON will probably be worried more about conceding than scoring.

You said gamble? Thats exactly what needs to happen, gamble on better players than Long.

Great idea. Gamble on inexperienced players who play at an inferior level to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Meyler is captain?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

pjohnson wrote: »
    Whats O'Dowda?

He's been in the squad for ages! Not that exciting of a selection is he?

Great idea. Gamble on inexperienced players who play at an inferior level to him.

But we haven't seen Long play much either and some of those others have a knack for goals.
    Much of a muchness really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Meyler being captain just emphasises how unimportant the armband is.

But we haven't seen Long play much either and some of those others have a knack for goals.
    Much of a muchness really.

I agree Long hasn't set the world alight this year but if he gets one or two tonight that will hopefully give him a boost going into Wales game. A confident Long up top is our best hope against Wales I would say.

• Madness that O Neill get's his contract renewed with the string of **** performances behind him

He's got to get this team playing some form of constructive modern day football

If I see hoofball against Moldava we may forget about it

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Madness that O Neill get's his contract renewed with the string of **** performances behind him

He's got to get this team playing some form of constructive modern day football

If I see hoofball against Moldava we may forget about it
    Yep. We haven't won a game in 2017 and the manager gets a new contract. Madness.
    Expect more of the same from this dinosaur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm going for a turgid laboured 2-0 win, with one of the goals a penalty.

So you suggest play Long just because he comes off the bench for a mid table premier league club? Sound logic you have going on there.

If a player was hitting the net regular enough for his club than he deserves the chance to have a go at international level. Having Long and even Murphy in is depressing at this stage. Other players deserve their chance, imagine Ferguson had your logic and decided to not play the younger inexperienced lads all those years ago.......a good manager will give good players a go and drop the ones who just arent doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

It looks like we are going try play football tonight hopefully its not long ball to murphy.

If a player was hitting the net regular enough for his club than he deserves the chance to have a go at international level. Having Long and even Murphy in is depressing at this stage.

You want players who are scoring regularly.....except the one scoring most regularly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Those Paddy p ads are so bloody annoying!!!

Comfy win please. Hope to see a couple of goals from us in first half, allowing a couple of the new boys to get a run. Our striker situation is borderline crisis. Has to start blooding them.

• Advertisement

So you suggest play Long just because he comes off the bench for a mid table premier league club? Sound logic you have going on there.

If a player was hitting the net regular enough for his club than he deserves the chance to have a go at international level. Having Long and even Murphy in is depressing at this stage. Other players deserve their chance, imagine Ferguson had your logic and decided to not play the younger inexperienced lads all those years ago.......a good manager will give good players a go and drop the ones who just arent doing it.

When Ferguson played the younger lads all those years ago they initially struggled. Beaten by Villa on the opening day of the season 3-1 which resulted in Alan Hansen's famous "You can't win anything with kids" line.

It takes time to get used to surroundings and build an understanding with the players. You don't throw inexperienced players who have yet to debut into a game that is must-win, especially when it's at the expense of a guy playing at a higher level than them, who has the most goals of any of the strikers, and who actually got a winner in a crunch game - against the world champions no less.

pjohnson wrote: »
    You want players who are scoring regularly.....except the one scoring most regularly?

My point is that we are relying on players who have showed they are not good enough. We wont give others a chance even if they were scoring regularly. Murphy is in his 30s hasnt scored much for Ireland in fact its only one goal in competitive games iirc. The team is stale, why not shake it up and give the young energetic hungry players a shot it couldnt get any worse than what it is now.

When Ferguson played the younger lads all those years ago they initially struggled. Beaten by Villa on the opening day of the season 3-1 which resulted in Alan Hansen's famous "You can't win anything with kids" line.

It takes time to get used to surroundings and build an understanding with the players. You don't throw inexperienced players who have yet to debut into a game that is must-win, especially when it's at the expense of a guy playing at a higher level than them, who has the most goals of any of the strikers, and who actually got a winner in a crunch game, against the world champions no less.

And that is exactly why MON should have played the younger players throughout the campaign.

The referee looks like the lovechild offspring of Billy Bob Thornton & Steve Buschemi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Full house? Think George needs to look around him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

My eyesight is not what it used to be but do Moldova not have QR codes down the sides of their jerseys?

I see them closer now and they're flowers :o

Ah jaysus, Jimmy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

And that is exactly why MON should have played the younger players throughout the campaign.

I agree with this, but that doesn't make it right to throw them in now. Better to have them as options off the bench and go with experience at this stage imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Fai really know how to suck the life out of an atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Fai really know how to suck the life out of an atmosphere.

Why? Because of a tribute to Magee?

Get in there! Murphy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Good lad Daryl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Great start for Ireland :)

Worst time for Ireland to score

88 minutes of sh1te now..... with maybe another goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Defend for your lives now, lads!