Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic Of Ireland vs Moldova Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Long should have wrapped this game up with his two chances already. Hes very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Really hope long puts 1 in the back net tonight, get that pressure off him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    O Neill should be shot for not playing hoolahan every game

Am i the only one who thought it was a simple enough pass :confused:
    Are we that shocked when one of our players does a semi decent pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Time to drop Long? Good hearted lad but come on 1 goal in 42 games should have 2 already tonight and be 4-0 up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yeah down with Murphy aye? Embarassing.

I dont have as much of a problem with Murphy as i do with Long. It still is crazy we are looking at a player of Murphy's age to score goals for us. As an Ireland fan and a fellow Waterford man i am of course delighted he has scored, i still dont think he is the striker we need tho.

And as i type Long misses yet again :D:eek::o:(:mad: ........so many emotions watching Long.

irishman86 wrote: »

More the vision of the pass that quickly, bet your life whelan wouldnt have played that

Longs confidence is on the floor. A far cry from the swagger he took that goal v Germany with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

fullstop wrote: »
    It's hardly embarrassing :rolleyes: He just made the point that Murphy had only scored one goal for Ireland, which was true.

Prior to that change of plan he was claiming we should play in form strikers before claiming Long and Murphy upfront was a bad thing.

Considering Murphy is our most in form striker his whinge over Murphy is pointless. Murphy is showing why form is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Long has a huge heart great pace and can run all day a great team player but he just isn't a finisher.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    More the vision of the pass that quickly, bet your life whelan wouldnt have played that

Haha we will agree on that alright, if it was Whelan it probably would have gone straight to Duffy or MON :pac:
    I like Wes but i feel we over rate everything he does, as O'Dowda is showing we have footballers we just dont pick them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Time to drop Long? Good hearted lad but come on 1 goal in 42 games should have 2 already tonight and be 4-0 up

1goal in 42 games.

That is a shocking return.

Great save there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Fabian Randolph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Time for MON to give either Maguire or hourihane a chance i'd love to be proven wrong about him but Long will never be good enough to start for us again as main striker

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

would seriously like to see Seani on for the last 20 mins especially if we are still leading by a 2 goal margin.. he's got talent to burn

pjohnson wrote: »
    Prior to that change of plan he was claiming we should play in form strikers before claiming Long and Murphy upfront was a bad thing.

Considering Murphy is our most in form striker his whinge over Murphy is pointless. Murphy is showing why form is important.

Murphy has scored 6 in 11 for Forest is it? and how many for Ireland? He aint exactly a top striker? Two goals against Moldova and you wet yourself with excitement :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Long did well to win the ball back in our box and relieve the pressure. Just thought I'd point that out because it would be ignored otherwise.

Get Hogan on at half time, let him get one before we unleash him on Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I reckon if Maguire gets one of those chances he puts it away.

• irishman86 wrote: »

I'm not faffing over the pass

It's his general play and composure

We dropped points in this group because he simply didn't play

• Advertisement

• Austria leading lol

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I reckon if Maguire gets one of those chances he puts it away.

I agree and he or Hogan should be put on for the second half. Plus bring on Horgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

jamesbere wrote: »
    Ward totally miss controlled the pass just lucky it went in front of him. Great cross and goal
    Thank ****, I thought I was the only one who noticed that. Listening to RTE, it was one of the greatest ever goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

1-1 in Austria is bad for us cause if it finishes like that, Serbia lose too Georgia and Wales beat us Wales qualify automatically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sloppy.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm not faffing over the pass

It's his general play and composure

We dropped points in this group because he simply didn't play

I agree, i presumed you were on the pass train my bad
    Like has sadly been said, dont see MON playing him against Wales now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

O'Dowda has been outstanding so far. His running off the ball is killing Moldova and they can't cope with him.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    1-1 in Austria is bad for us cause if it finishes like that, Serbia lose too Georgia and Wales beat us Wales qualify automatically

There is no way Serbia will lose to Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Or if we win we qualify automatically (if we score more here)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

If he's playing one up top v Wales, Murphy surely will start ahead of Long. I think he might go 4-4-2 v Wales though which would mean Hoolahan dropping to the bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Jaysus Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Long needs to come off at halftime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That is so BAD from Long

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lazy pass from Long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Long is horrible.

Lads Long should just do the right thing and just take himself off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Take Wessi off at HT, save him for Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

As bad as Long is playing this is a perfect game for him to score a goal and get his confidence back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Murphy leapfrogging Long on Monday based on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

How is that bad for us? We need to win in Cardiff regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Get hogan or maguire on for long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a confidence thing for Long. I'd leave him on the hopes that he gets a goal and that might kick him into life.

Long is a good lad but 1 in 42 is dreadful, and he has probably been living off the Germany goal for a while now. I know he's prem but he rarely gets his game at Southampton

What did Shane Long do to Ronnie :) he is looking for negatives. He ain't playing great but ron laying it on thick

Haha we will agree on that alright, if it was Whelan it probably would have gone straight to Duffy or MON :pac:
    I like Wes but i feel we over rate everything he does, as O'Dowda is showing we have footballers we just dont pick them

Dont think its over rating but when he's playing chances are going to be created and the team pushes more forward. It's all more posistive, theres a good reason why so many people want him to start even going back to trap years :)

As bad as Long is playing this is a perfect game for him to score a goal and get his confidence back.

Well why not take him off and have another striker bang in a couple of goals and have their confidence up for Monday? Long has had his chance and too many times he has wasted it. People need to take off the blinkers and stop giving him the benefit of doubt because he scored a goal against Germany.

Agree on o'dowda, he looks rightly up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

What did Shane Long do to Ronnie :) he is looking for negatives. He ain't playing great but ron laying it on thick

Ronnie IS Mr. Negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Long is a good lad but 1 in 42 is dreadful, and he has probably been living off the Germany goal for a while now. I know he's prem but he rarely gets his game at Southampton

He's played the last three games for them. He plays at a higher level than the rest of the alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

TheCitizen wrote: »
    How is that bad for us? We need to win in Cardiff regardless.

They will play out of there skin and we will play for a draw

good 1st half, long is having a bad day id take him off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He's played the last three games for them. He plays at a higher level than the rest of the alternatives.
    And isn't scoring.

Advertisement