Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic Of Ireland vs Moldova Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Give wessi a rest for Wales game. Any players in yellows that need to take it handy.

Meyler has made that defensive mid his spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

He's played the last three games for them. He plays at a higher level than the rest of the alternatives.

Why do you keep saying that? FFS he isnt scoring at all and is missing sitters. He wont be at Southampton for all too long id say and i bet anything he drops down a level so what excuse will you come up with then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Great two goals so far by Ireland. Long missed two chances. Hopefully more to come. It would be nice for Long to get a goal as he has gone stale for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Jeez lads, long time since ive been down the pub with a pint in hand and actually enjoying a ireland game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So if you pick a positive, attack minded team, you get a positive, attack minded performance. Never would have guessed it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Dont think its over rating but when he's playing chances are going to be created and the team pushes more forward. It's all more posistive, theres a good reason why so many people want him to start even going back to trap years :)

Its defo over rated, he plays in the championship for a reason
    Its purely because he tries play football for people wanting him in the team and i dont argue with you about that
    I'd take Wes every day over a player like Whelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

alta stare wrote: »
    Well why not take him off and have another striker bang in a couple of goals and have their confidence up for Monday? Long has had his chance and too many times he has wasted it. People need to take off the blinkers and stop giving him the benefit of doubt because he scored a goal against Germany.

Because I believe Long is a better player. The guys on the bench all have potential to be premier league strikers but Long is one and he is good , just going through a really bad patch.

Saying all that I would be happy enough to see Maguire come on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They will play out of there skin and we will play for a draw

good 1st half, long is having a bad day id take him off

They will play out of their skin regardless, they need to win the game to get a playoff.
    Why would we play for a draw in a game we quite literally have no choice but to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The only downer for me is that no matter the fact he's been the best player on the pitch, I don't think there's any chance O'Dowda starts against Wales.

Because I believe Long is a better player. The guys on the bench all have potential to be premier league strikers but Long is one and he is good , just going through a really bad patch.

Saying all that I would be happy enough to see Maguire come on

Long WAS a good player but we cant live off the past which is what alot on here seem to be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Why do you keep saying that? FFS he isnt scoring at all and is missing sitters. He wont be at Southampton for all too long id say and i bet anything he drops down a level so what excuse will you come up with then?

He's playing against better teams than the players you want in. Why is that a difficult concept for you to grasp? When he played the Championship he scored far more goals than the players you want involved.

Murphy wasn't scoring for Ireland for yonks either and you wanted him out but oh look - now he is.

Long missed one good opportunity. Second one the keeper did well imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bridge93 wrote: »
    They will play out of their skin regardless, they need to win the game to get a playoff.
    Why would we play for a draw in a game we quite literally have no choice but to win?

Were not a good 'winner takes all match' team and will struggle Monday, the italy game at the euros was different cause one team was only going in 2nd gear. Id love to be proven wrong and we beat Wales but cant see it

• 42 games without a goal

That is bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Long WAS a good player but we cant live off the past which is what alot on here seem to be doing.

He's only 30 he has plenty left in him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Maguire has to come on for Long. All he needs is one chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dunphy doesn't do Moldova, no?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    42 games without a goal

That is bad

It's 1 in 42

• It's 1 in 42

Not much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

It's 1 in 42

Much better :pac:

He's playing against better teams than the players you want in. Why is that a difficult concept for you to grasp? When he played the Championship he scored far more goals than the players you want involved.

Murphy wasn't scoring for Ireland for yonks either and you wanted him out but oh look - now he is.

Long missed one good opportunity. Second one the keeper did well imo.

You are living off the past my friend.

Murphy is scoring goals in the championship....for now, he is in hs 30s and my point is (which you keep overlooking) is that we cannot be relying on players who are at that stage of their careers. The younger players deserve a chance. What would your view be if Hogan or Maguire came on and got a hat trick?????

Long is rubbish pure and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They will play out of there skin and we will play for a draw

good 1st half, long is having a bad day id take him off
    No we won't play for a draw and it makes no difference whatsoever if Wales can top the Group with a win or get to second with a win, they'll still be trying to win as will we. Some of the negativity on here is nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Long has 5 goals since that goal against Moldova so that stat is wrong.

2 in cup
    3 in PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

As opposed to Murphy, who despite his fine goals tonight has never been a top player. The other options are unproven.

Long is seriously out of form, no arguments from me. The problem is he's the only one of Ireland's current strikers who has proven he can do it at the top level.

He's only 30 he has plenty left in him

So we should keep him in the team hoping that he will score another 5 goals by the age of 38 given the rate he is going by now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Were not a good 'winner takes all match' team and will struggle Monday, the italy game at the euros was different cause one team was only going in 2nd gear. Id love to be proven wrong and we beat Wales but cant see it
    Nonsense. We're actually at our best with our backs to the wall and nothing to lose.

The dependence on Wesley is embarrassing. Just shows where we are at in 2017

You are living off the past my friend.

Murphy is scoring goals in the championship....for now, he is in hs 30s and my point is (which you keep overlooking) is that we cannot be relying on players who are at that stage of their careers. The younger players deserve a chance. What would your view be if Hogan or Maguire came on and got a hat trick?????

Long is rubbish pure and simple.

Long is not rubbish. His general play this half has been good, he won the ball back from a dangerous situation at one point, all that he has lacked is sticking away one of his chances.

Cast your mind back to earlier in the year when people were clamouring for the likes of Horgan and Hourihane and other flavour-of-the-month choices - John Egan was another terrific defensive talent we were told - and they all got their chance in a game against Mexico in the US. The result? We got spanked 3-1 and deserved to lose by more. We were played off the park.

I will trust in the tried-and-tested players. Long isn't finished at 30 by a long shot. He just needs a goal to boost his self-esteem.

I'm going to be a supporter and support him in hopefully getting one. Perhaps yourself and others could try it too instead of waiting in hope for him to fail.

The dependence on Wesley is embarrassing. Just shows where we are at in 2017

Not even our best player tonight. I'm happier when he's playing but some of the hyperbole around him gets out of hand. Has a mcgeady-esque tendency to mess up the final ball at times.

Long is not rubbish. His general play this half has been good, he won the ball back from a dangerous situation at one point, all that he has lacked is sticking away one of his chances.

Cast your mind back to earlier in the year when people were clamouring for the likes of Horgan and Hourihane and other flavour-of-the-month choices - John Egan was another terrific defensive talent we were told - and they all got their chance in a game against Mexico in the US. The result? We got spanked 3-1 and deserved to lose by more. We were played off the park.

I will trust in the tried-and-tested players. Long isn't finished at 30 by a long shot. He just needs a goal to boost his self-esteem.

I'm going to be a supporter and support him in hopefully getting one. Perhaps yourself and others could try it too instead of waiting in hope for him to fail.

I agree he's not rubbish, but I disagree that we are hoping he fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

As opposed to Murphy, who despite his fine goals tonight has never been a top player. The other options are unproven.

Long is seriously out of form, no arguments from me. The problem is he's the only one of Ireland's current strikers who has proven he can do it at the top level.

But the likes of Seani deserve the chance to prove themselves especially in a match like this now after 60 mins...

Murphy deserves a chance and he did over the years which he never really took but again im going back to the point that we are relying on older players. Yes i agree the others are unproven but that is the problem right there.....they never seem to get a chance to prove themselves. A player like Hogan or Maguire could play up front with Murphy but nope we stick to Long.

Moldova are not rubbish. Thought Duff was a bit dismissive at HT

• Even when it's Moldova we allow them too much time on the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Take Long OFF ffs

CorkColin wrote: »
    But the likes of Seani deserve the chance to prove themselves especially in a match like this now after 60 mins...

They deserve a chance certainly, I'm just not convinced a run out in the second half against Moldova is enough to risk throwing them in against Wales.

• Advertisement

Murphy deserves a chance and he did over the years which he never really took but again im going back to the point that we are relying on older players. Yes i agree the others are unproven but that is the problem right there.....they never seem to get a chance to prove themselves. A player like Hogan or Maguire could play up front with Murphy but nope we stick to Long.

Completely agree on the older players, it's a problem that should have been sorted earlier in the campaign though and at this point it might be a risk changing things up

:D Yeah i want him to fail i have a serious vendetta against him.....What a load of ****e. If Long scored a screamer and went on to bang in four goals or so id be the first to say well done son but he isnt, he won,t and his best days are past him so he should be benched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Take Long OFF ffs

Confidence completely gone. A pro footballer should be taking that down without issue. To take him off now could be the end of him. In saying that, Duffy sliced that ball, that wasn't intended for Long

Not even our best player tonight. I'm happier when he's playing but some of the hyperbole around him gets out of hand. Has a mcgeady-esque tendency to mess up the final ball at times.

It was Brady's "we NEED him" comment that hammered it home for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Clear elbow there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

They deserve a chance certainly, I'm just not convinced a run out in the second half against Moldova is enough to risk throwing them in against Wales.

Oh i know it's never going to happen, but with the crap we've had up front this campaign it's ridiculous that O Neill won't blood young talent, we're so far behind other countries.. I just don't get why he's so hesitant

Ref has been pretty poor tonight on awarding cards. They should of had 2/3 the first half
    Just hope when he finally does it wont be to one of our lads that could be suspended

Long took an elbow in the face in the box but no penalty given. If Maguire or Hogan has taken an elbow in the face, they would have not only won a penalty, but taken it and scored with a Panenka.

It was Brady's "we NEED him" comment that hammered it home for me

Do yourself a favour and dont listen to those clowns on anything regarding football

Game is gone flat, it needs a lift by bringing on some energetic subs.

Long took an elbow in the face in the box but no penalty given. If Maguire or Hogan has taken an elbow in the face, they would have not only won a penalty, but taken it and scored with a Panenka.

Ah stop! Get back to being one of the better and more lucid posters here, it suits you better

CorkColin wrote: »
    Oh i know it's never going to happen, but with the crap we've had up front this campaign it's ridiculous that O Neill won't blood young talent, we're so far behind other countries.. I just don't get why he's so hesitant

It really is ridiculous, and it should have been dealt with after the euros. It's been obvious for years we were going to struggle up front once Keane retired.

Now you are seeing sense.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and dont listen to those clowns on anything regarding football

My 5 year old has fallen asleep on me, and I only have one free arm. It's either the remote or the mobile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The last 25 of this is a perfect opportunity to give Maguire some experience ahead of the Welsh game in case MON is forced to bring him on because of injury or if we need a goal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement