Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic Of Ireland vs Moldova Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He's one of the best actually. Stop making a fool of yourself.

I'm talking about finishing talent.

• What's more annoying is the the two points dropped against Georgia

In fact, Hoolahan didn't feature against Georgia and Wales

Where the **** would we be if he featured

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

McGeady has scored a few goals for ireland this campaign. We can't be sure that Maguire would score.

In relation to the substitution we were been over run at the time and new midfielder was needed

When Long stops playing his heart out getting in to go positions and taking his shots then we should worry

I don't think he has? Last goal was v Georgia in the Euro qualifiers. 5 goals in 91 appearances.

Ya had realised as soon as I made it I was thinking of McClean

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We were so bad.
    Rubbish. We won the game comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Definitely think Long will be the lone striker against the Welsh. Don't see us playing two up front and MON will prefer Long's work rate and pace because we won't have a lot of ball and he'll need someone to chase all lost causes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Would love to see the same team on Monday with Brady coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

McGeady has scored a few goals for ireland this campaign. We can't be sure that Maguire would score.

In relation to the substitution we were been over run at the time and new midfielder was needed

When Long stops playing his heart out getting in to go positions and taking his shots then we should worry

I don't think he has? Last goal was v Georgia in the Euro qualifiers. 5 goals in 91 appearances.

Ya had realised as soon as I made it I was thinking of McClean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

But he doesn't get to start under Martin O'Neil. He usually gets about 10 mins a game sometimes none. He used to get more games under the old manager.

Also Ireland were like a different team in the second half and we were lucky we got those goals in the first half as if we didn't and we drew we would be looking back and saying all the chances we had but we blew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Not a hope in hell this team is beating Wales away,has to go down as the worst Irish team ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't think Wes will start.

Hopefully Brady and McClean gives us much needed energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Don't think Wes will start.

Hopefully Brady and McClean gives us much needed energy

Surely O Dowda should keep his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

alta stare wrote: »

You'd think. Not a hope though, with McClean back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Brady to comeback, sure. McClean and Walters, no thanks.

That's how O Neill rolls even if I agree here

Brady to comeback, sure. McClean and Walters, no thanks.

Definitely not Walters anyway. Mclean would be a good impact sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell this team is beating Wales away,has to go down as the worst Irish team ever

Maybe in terms of quality but the spirit is there and Wales aren't that good especially without Bale. We'll get chances just a matter of taking them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Id have murphy up front monday no doubt over long, mclean and brady in as well. Cant see o'dowd keeping his place even though he played a very good match.
    Id be worried if i see whelan starting monday

Walters is out I thought no?

Is Walters suspended for this game or injured if not I'd say he was resting for the Wales match as he will definitely be on for the Wales match as he is good at controlling the long ball up.

Walters is out I thought no?

Dont know tbh i cant remember what the story is with him. Great servant for Ireland but just not a game id start him in if he was available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Definitely think Long will be the lone striker against the Welsh. Don't see us playing two up front and MON will prefer Long's work rate and pace because we won't have a lot of ball and he'll need someone to chase all lost causes.

Definitely not.

I think he'll go 4-4-2. That will mean McClean Hendrick Meyler Brady across midfield.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Id have murphy up front monday no doubt over long, mclean and brady in as well. Cant see o'dowd keeping his place even though he played a very good match.
    Id be worried if i see whelan starting monday
    Walters is out

Murphy has to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Walters is out with a knee injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Murphy has to start

Brady saying he see's no other option but long...am i missing something but can daryl murphy not lead the line

(Edit) because he did tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FatherTed wrote: »
    Not understanding why Houlihan has not been taken off already to rest up for Wales.
    Probably because MON has no intention of starting him against Wales.
    I bet Whelan will be back in.
    It's O'Neill's way. Better not conceding than scoring.:eek:

Probably because MON has no intention of starting him against Wales.
    I bet Whelan will be back in.
    It's O'Neill's way. Better not conceding than scoring.:eek:
    Whelan won't start either. Meyler is in that holding role now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Has to be Murphy starting McLean in for long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Would be very harsh to bench Murphy - he has to start imo.

McClean to start for sure - one of our best goal threats outside of set pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

His name is Kabia!

Not Kabila kabbia kaaba Kiaba or ****ing kobia

I mean Hoolahan✌ðŸ»

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Murphy nailed on starter. Set pieces and crosses will be everything on Monday.

Long could start too, he'll probably get a hattrick :pac:

His name is Kabia!

Not Kabila kabbia kaaba Kiaba or ****ing kobia

I mean Hoolahan✌ðŸ»

Kebab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Did anyone else find the main camera to be very far away from the pitch? Found it quite hard to pick out certain players, Murphy and Long looked the same, same with Duffy, Ward and Clarke. Had no idea who had actually scored till I saw the replays

siblers wrote: »
    Did anyone else find the main camera to be very far away from the pitch? Found it quite hard to pick out certain players, Murphy and Long looked the same, same with Duffy, Ward and Clarke. Had no idea who had actually scored till I saw the replays

I was thinking that as well. It did seem a lot worse than usual.

Job done. i kind of understand the second half lull. To be honest if we beat Wales on Monday night we may look back at that and say thank god. Austria proved tonight though that we squandered the perfect chance of topping this group and this is down to our inferiority complex against the ****tiest of teams. Wales on the other hand are the opposite in that they fear absolutely no one and are full of adventure. Against Austria their mantra was 'Come one and have a go at us if you think you are good enough'.

The awarding of a contract to this management team before the conclusion of the group just shows how the FAI are an organisation that puts mediocrity first and rewards it handsomely. Will my opinion change if we qualify for Russia? To be honest i think we would be only going to make up the numbers the way we currently approach games. What is the point trying to make a tournament consisting of the worlds elite if we are going to approach a game against a team not even in the top 100 with trepidation?

Our whole mentality is shocking. The Euro experience last year gave us the chance to learn and develop as a team and instead we are at the same shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Job done. i kind of understand the second half lull. To be honest if we beat Wales on Monday night we may look back at that and say thank god. Austria proved tonight though that we squandered the perfect chance of topping this group and this is down to our inferiority complex against the ****tiest of teams. Wales on the other hand are the opposite in that they fear absolutely no one and are full of adventure. Against Austria their mantra was 'Come one and have a go at us if you think you are good enough'.

The awarding of a contract to this management team before the conclusion of the group just shows how the FAI are an organisation that puts mediocrity first and rewards it handsomely. Will my opinion change if we qualify for Russia? To be honest i think we would be only going to make up the numbers the way we currently approach games. What is the point trying to make a tournament consisting of the worlds elite if we are going to approach a game against a team not even in the top 100 with trepidation?

Our whole mentality is shocking. The Euro experience last year gave us the chance to learn and develop as a team and instead we are at the same shíte.
    :mad:

I think blaming the management and the FAI is silly.
    It was the same when Brian Kerr was there he was very unlucky not to qualify for the competition proper.
    The FAI were blamed for appointing a manager who only managed a league of Ireland team and at international youth level.

Trappatoni qualified the team for the Euros then the management and FAI were blamed when the team eventually failed

Martin O'Neill qualified Ireland for the Euros now the management and FAI are already getting blamed when things look like going badly.

Why is it always the management and the FAI that is blamed?

It is never the players fault all the managers listed are at very least good managers and some were world class.

It is never the players fault is it? :mad:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wales weren't great today we will get chances against them for sure.

they created a lot more chances against Georgia than we did...if Bale is fit i reckon they'll beat us handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The FAI are blamed because they couldn't give a **** about developing football in this country. That clown Delaney is only interested in surrounding himself with yes men and lining his own pockets.

• Advertisement

What a miserable negative post

:mad:

I think blaming the management and the FAI is silly.
    It was the same when Brian Kerr was there he was very unlucky not to qualify for the competition proper.

The FAI were blamed for appointing a manager who only managed a league of Ireland team and at international youth level.

Trappatoni qualified the team for the Euros then the management and FAI were blamed when the team eventually failed

Martin O'Neill qualified Ireland for the Euros now the management and FAI are already getting blamed when things look like going badly.

It is never the players fault all the managers listed are at very least good managers and some were world class.

It is never the players fault is it? :mad:

Ah hold on now. The manager sets out the tactics. i couldnt question the attitude of any of those ireland players and it is clear they give 100% for the cause but it is obvious that they are instructed to place huge emphasis on defending against some teams that we should be really battering and not holding on for dear life

We were top of this qualifying campaign going into 2017 but due to insipid performances vs Austria and Georgia we are now staring at the prospect of not going to Russia. Of course the management should be questioned, that is what any ambitious setup would do. Who the **** would reward them with a contract before the group concludes? Roy spoke out about the culture of mediocrity that existed within football in Ireland once upon a time but now he is happy to sign a new deal which will more than likely see them implement more of the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Reckoned Arter did well on the sending off. We need a dark artist in the middle.

fryup wrote: »
    they created a lot more chances against Georgia than we did...if Bale is fit i reckon they'll beat us handy
    They drew with Georgia at home, did you forget about that. They will not be beating us handy, Bale or no Bale, and he's definitely out. Wales are beatable. If we play at our best we'll win

fullstop wrote: »
    The FAI are blamed because they couldn't give a **** about developing football in this country. That clown Delaney is only interested in surrounding himself with yes men and lining his own pockets.
    It is up to the Irish people to support Irish soccer.
    Delaney cannot force them to go.
    If people would rather spend hundreds of euro spend hours travelling to see teams some Irish people refer to as 'we' - man united, liverpool, Arsenal, chelsea, Celtic, Man City, Everton etc Delaney will be always pissing against the wind.

In fairness to Delaney he is a good political operator. He got the 5m from Blatter for the FAI coffers remember?

If people in Irish soccer want change they should instigate it both at a political level in the FAI, and in a practical sense by supporting domestic football.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What a miserable negative post

The team are negative and that is down to the managers tactics. Ireland are third and the best we can realistically hope for is to get a playoff against a seeded team despite the fact we were top of this group in early 2017. And yet we reward a management with new deals before the group has ended? Standards have actually dropped since the Euros but yet we've said to MON and Keane, 'guys no bother, here is another two years and a few miilion you'll get it right yet'.

Look at Iceland, and Wales and Northern Ireland and how well they are performing and then make your excuses for this Ireland team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Ah hold on now. The manager sets out the tactics. i couldnt question the attitude of any of those ireland players and it is clear they give 100% for the cause but it is obvious that they are instructed to place huge emphasis on defending against some teams that we should be really battering and not holding on for dear life

We were top of this qualifying campaign going into 2017 but due to insipid performances vs Austria and Georgia we are now staring at the prospect of not going to Russia. Of course the management should be questioned, that is what any ambitious setup would do. Who the **** would reward them with a contract before the group concludes? Roy spoke out about the culture of mediocrity that existed within football in Ireland once upon a time but now he is happy to sign a new deal which will more than likely see them implement more of the same?

Roy played in far better Irish teams. It's not a good side with a mediocre attitude, it's a mediocre side with a good attitude.

It is up to the Irish people to support Irish soccer.
    Delaney cannot force them to go.
    If people would rather spend hundreds of euro spend hours travelling to see teams some Irish people refer to as 'we' - man united, liverpool, Arsenal, chelsea, Celtic, Man City, Everton etc Delaney will be always pissing against the wind.

In fairness to Delaney he is a good political operator. He got the 5m from Blatter for the FAI coffers remember?

If people in Irish soccer want change they should instigate it both at a political level in the FAI, and in a practical sense by supporting domestic football.

John Delaney pays himself 3 times more then what the LOI champions get. The 5m he received was happenstance and due to the fact that an injustice was done to the Irish soccer team. This man is a cancer on Irish sport.

And this constant nonsense spouted about supporting your 'local' league of ireland team is pathetic. Normally spouted by Dubs who are within touching distance of their local ground. My local LOI team is 30 miles away.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Roy played in far better Irish teams. It's not a good side with a mediocre attitude, it's a mediocre side with a good attitude.

Yes i agree with this but yet what we must realise is that football as a whole has declined since Roy played on that better Irish team to the point where even Argentina with Messi are struggling to qualify for a world cup.

On the opposite end of the scale, the likes of Iceland, Northern Ireland, etc are soaring. They may not win a tournament but they will go down fighting at least

The players are an extremely limited bunch of players Martin O'Neill is doing the best with what he has got.
    It is the players who are hoofing the ball when under pressure not MON.
    Change the manager and there will be no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

John Delaney pays himself 3 times more then what the LOI champions get. The 5m he received was happenstance and due to the fact that an injustice was done to the Irish soccer team. This man is a cancer on Irish sport.

And this constant nonsense spouted about supporting your 'local' league of ireland team is pathetic. Normally spouted by Dubs who are within touching distance of their local ground. My local LOI team is 30 miles away.

How far away is The Emirates?

• Advertisement
Advertisement