Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olde Worlde - Ring Dem Bells

• 06-10-2017 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

I was in easons the other day.
    The counter assistant couldn't deal with or help the customer in front of me
    They needed a manager

So the counter assistant rang a hand bell that was on the counter to call for the manager

In a way it was something from another era, Dickensian almost!

Have you encountered any olde Worlde things lately

Comments

At the receptionist counter at a hotel I once stayed in (it was a bit Fawlty Towers) there was a bell and a note:
    Ring once for service!
    Ring twice for poor service!
    Ring three times for no service at all!

Poor receptionists had about four jobs.

PS the bills were written on a typewriter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Bought a record yesterday for the first time in about 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A draper's shop here still wraps purchases in brown paper and ties then with string.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

At the receptionist counter at a hotel I once stayed in (it was a bit Fawlty Towers) there was a bell and a note:
    Ring once for service!
    Ring twice for poor service!
    Ring three times for no service at all!

Poor receptionists had about four jobs.

PS the bills were written on a typewriter.
    Was there any sign of basil lol

I'd love a typewriter
    Sometimes the modern world is just too instant

A draper's shop here still wraps purchases in brown paper and ties then with string.

A brown paper package tied up with string? That's one of my favourite things!

I was in what I think was a government building in ND with my mother as a small child. It had an old-style elevator with wrought-iron doors and an operator who's sole job was to open and close those doors and stop the elevator at, or at least close to, floor level. It had a plush velvet banquette that had seen better days to sit on, and the gentleman operator wore a braided uniform. It was like an elevator to another era. Never lost the vividness of that memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Had my coffee served in a jam jar with a straw through the lid, just like the olde days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Candie wrote: »
    A brown paper package tied up with string? That's one of my favourite things!

Wonderful! :D I bet near 100% of AHers will get this, although they may pretend not to!

Btw, ND is North Dublin? Or New Delhi? :)

New Delhi. :)

I love musicals. Love, love, love them! Musicals with Julie Andrews in them are the best. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I was in what I think was a government building in ND with my mother as a small child. It had an old-style elevator with wrought-iron doors /quote]

Michael Guineys on Talbot St. had/has one. Haven't been in that shop in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

New Delhi. :)

I love musicals. Love, love, love them! Musicals with Julie Andrews in them are the best. :)

Me too :) My daughter is at the moment practicing some of the SoM songs in school, for a play - lucky lil one!

• Advertisement

seenitall wrote: »
    Me too :) My daughter is at the moment practicing some of the SoM songs in school, for a play - lucky lil one!

I was in a production of SoM in my own schooldays! I had a ball and I hope she is too! :)

imme wrote: »
    Was there any sign of basil lol

I'd love a typewriter
    Sometimes the modern world is just too instant
    No Basil, but definitely a Sybil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

An elderly bachelor farmer, friend of the family, has a side of bacon hanging from his kitchen ceiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

That does sound fantastic. Plastic has become so pervading for even the simplest things. Brown paper wrapping is so much more personal.

Advertisement