Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Express Issues

Options
  • 06-10-2017 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

I had been running Garmin Express ver.5.4.1 on my somewhat ancient Windows Vista PC. When it couldn't/wouldn't recognise my equally ancient Garmin Edge 705 today, I foolishly upgraded GE to ver.5.7.0 only to be informed that this needs Windows 7 or newer.

After uninstalling ver.5.7, I attempted to install 5.5.0 and later ver.5.3.1. With both, as I attempted to add the 705 as a device, a pop-up appeared telling me that a new version of GE was ready to install and that this contained critical updates. The only option was to click OK as every other command was disabled until I did this. This brought me back to the start of the sequence where it wouldn't load without Windows 7.

Does anyone have GE 5.4.1 or later running on Vista? Anyone know how to stop the pop-up interfering with the earlier versions?

Update:
    Managed to reinstall GE ver.5.4.1 by ignoring the pop-up for a good while until it went away. Unfortunately it then wouldn't add my 705 as a device as it couldn't see the drive. Discovered that the drive was corrupted, reformatted it and reinstalled the original system files and file structure that I had fortunately copied to my PC a few years ago. Seems to be working fine now. Only damage, other than the time I wasted, was the loss of five rides in Croatia and Slovenia that I couldn't access before reformatting the drive.

Will leave this here in case anyone has similar problems.

Advertisement