Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My strange dream world

• 06-10-2017 9:43pm

Hello, I wasn't sure where to put this so thought I'd start a thread. Please feel free to move it :)

Ever since I remember my dreams have been vivid and full of feelings. Sometimes I would wake with a sense of loss for the people in it. These people were mostly strangers. As well as this oddity there were the usual dreams of flying and being chased but again years later I can remember what it felt like. Happiness, fear, love, desire, I remember like it was real.

About two months ago I dreamt that I turned to another and said "you know this is just a dream". So bizarre.

I'm very self aware but am genuinely flummoxed as to the strange nature of these night time experiences. There are some positive changes recently occurring in my life but surely they wouldn't manifest in what I have just outlined.

All input is welcome :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Persepoly wrote: »
    Hello, I wasn't sure where to put this so thought I'd start a thread. Please feel free to move it.
    Good place. Nightmares. Sometimes horrific. Other times entertaining for me.
    About two months ago I dreamt that I turned to another and said "you know this is just a dream". So bizarre.
    Watched Ladyhawke movie? There's a statement just like yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

"Maybe I'm dreaming. My eyes are open, which means maybe I'm awake dreaming that I'm asleep. Or, or more likely, I'm asleep dreaming that I'm awake wondering if I'm dreaming." (Ladyhawke, 1985)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Maybe subconsciously you are a bit scared of these new changes.

Your mind is bringing you back to older, happier times when there was less responsibilities and worries.

Old boyfriend & dad were there to help you.

Apologies for the edit. Leaving aside the nightmares and recurring themes the reason I'm slightly disturbed is the type of lucidity that's occurring and the depth of feeling that remains.

Freud said that a dream is a wish unfulfilled. Well I'm not entirely sure about that or old Sigmund for that matter :)

Apologies for the edit.
    Cool. No worries. I do that too after posting.
    Leaving aside the nightmares and recurring themes the reason I'm slightly disturbed is the type of lucidity that's occurring and the depth of feeling that remains.
    Me too. Dreams often affect my emotions after waking.
    Freud said that a dream is a wish unfulfilled. Well I'm not entirely sure about that or old Sigmund for that matter :)
    Freud was problematic from research standpoint. Case studies. Biased samples. You have to use your own judgment if you think he has value towards dream interpretation.

• Advertisement

I agree with you regarding Freud and his interpretations. There was quite a bit of projection I feel going on towards his patients. Dangerous ground.

You mentioned Ladyhawke, I haven't seen it but heard of it alright. I might check it out. Nice to know I'm not alone with the overwhelming post dream feelings :)

I agree with you regarding Freud and his interpretations. There was quite a bit of projection I feel going on towards his patients. Dangerous ground.
    Regards Freud's women patients. Biased sample of those with rich parents who could pay his fees.
    You mentioned Ladyhawke, I haven't seen it but heard of it alright. I might check it out. Nice to know I'm not alone with the overwhelming post dream feelings :)
    1985. Several plots. Cool dream scene.

After some reflection I feel that my unsettling dreams are just another manifestation of past experiences. I'm also going through some emotional changes so no doubt this also plays a part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I used to have a recurring dream where I was half asleep in the dream, but I was being slowly dragged out of the bed by someone or something. Always slowly, always in the bed I went to sleep in i.e. at home or in college. I used to force myself awake as I was too scared to see how it ended.

I've also had lucid dreams where I'm aware I'm asleep, but I get freaked out and have to force myself awake. It takes a while but I eventually wake. It's almost like being underwater and finally waking up is like that first gasp for air.

After some reflection I feel that my unsettling dreams are just another manifestation of past experiences. I'm also going through some emotional changes so no doubt this also plays a part.
    I relive past in dreams too.

• Advertisement

I used to have a recurring dream where I was half asleep in the dream, but I was being slowly dragged out of the bed by someone or something.
    Experienced this dream state. But awoke. My roommate was actually dragging me out of bed.

Reluctant to eat desserts. Dreaming about stuffing my face with ice cream. Lasted only seconds. But seemed to last all night. Felt guilty upon waking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Fathom wrote: »
    "Maybe I'm dreaming. My eyes are open, which means maybe I'm awake dreaming that I'm asleep. Or, or more likely, I'm asleep dreaming that I'm awake wondering if I'm dreaming." (Ladyhawke, 1985)
    Grand example.

Two reasonable outcomes.

Reluctant to eat desserts. Dreaming about stuffing my face with ice cream. Lasted only seconds. But seemed to last all night. Felt guilty upon waking.

Interesting. Do you like ice-cream? I wonder is it something about control?

Interesting. Do you like ice-cream? I wonder is it something about control?
    Ice cream? Yes. Workout hard after. Burn off cals. Control? Not sure. Cannot make connection.

Ice cream? Yes. Workout hard after. Burn off cals. Control? Not sure. Cannot make connection.

Well overeating and starving oneself can both be connected to needing control. Let's say in your every day life you are impeccably organised and even a bit rigid but on some level you'd like to let go. That manifests itself in a dream about eating loads of icecream.

Life's a routine. University. Athletic workouts. Eating. Sleeping. Socializing. If I bite too much. Extend workout. Problem solved. Santa Ana heat wave may have contributed. One variable. Perhaps others. Coooooool ice cream. Satiates appetite. Rather than healthy foods. Health is important. Who knows?

Advertisement