Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO TITLE DEEDS

Options
  • 06-10-2017 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm wondering what happens if there is no title deeds to a property?

The land is not registered, as I know myself, but I have checked on landdirect.ie
    There is no title deeds to my knowledge, the land was owned by a wealthy family that goes back a very long time, I believe the properties in the area that are not registered were built by this family and rented out to workers. I think the property is about 100 years old, so back then in rural Ireland there was no title deeds written up I suspect..

So my question is, where does one stand in relation to the properties that have been in my families possession since they were built all that time ago? There's no title deeds in existence to my knowledge.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

neveah123 wrote: »
    I'm wondering what happens if there is no title deeds to a property?

The land is not registered, as I know myself, but I have checked on landdirect.ie
    There is no title deeds to my knowledge, the land was owned by a wealthy family that goes back a very long time, I believe the properties in the area that are not registered were built by this family and rented out to workers. I think the property is about 100 years old, so back then in rural Ireland there was no title deeds written up I suspect..

So my question is, where does one stand in relation to the properties that have been in my families possession since they were built all that time ago? There's no title deeds in existence to my knowledge.

TIA

There are two systems, you will need to check registry of deeds if not on land direct. They date from 1708 so no doubt there is record.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You need to get legal advice on this. It is important to sort out the title before investing in the property (say by renovating or extending).

Let's say what you say is true and there is no paperwork, which is probably not the case, then you will have to establish your ownership of the land somehow.

Advertisement