Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect to CCTV DVR when on same network

Options
  • 07-10-2017 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi all,

firstly not sure if this thread is best here or in the Home Security section, but I will try here first.

I recently changed my router as part of Horizon upgrade with Virgin Media, since the upgrade I have been unable to view my CCTV camera's when on same network.

For example, when I am at home and on the Wifi, I get a "Failed to Connect" error when I open the CCTV app, but if I switch the wifi off and connect when on 3G I get connection almost immediately. This was not an issue with my previous SOHO router (also supplied by Virgin/UPC)

I have enabled Port Forwarding 2 ports listed by the DVR:

HTTP Port 8080
    Handset Port 15961

I am hoping that there is some simple setting on the Horizon box that needs to be set or unset to allow this connection but I just don't know what it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if necessary, please move thread.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

I no nothing about your router but in my router the setting is called Nat reflection.
    I copied this from a quick google of NAT reflection to show other terms.

"NAT loopback, also known as NAT hairpinning or NAT reflection, is a feature in many consumer routers which permits the access of a service via the public IP address from inside the local network"

You could also create a duplicate DVR in your app with all the same settings except give it the local IP instead of your public IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

Couldn't find a Loopback / Hairpin setting on the router but the alternate setting with Local address worked perfectly.

Many thanks!!!
    emaherx wrote: »
    I no nothing about your router but in my router the setting is called Nat reflection.
    I copied this from a quick google of NAT reflection to show other terms.

"NAT loopback, also known as NAT hairpinning or NAT reflection, is a feature in many consumer routers which permits the access of a service via the public IP address from inside the local network"

You could also create a duplicate DVR in your app with all the same settings except give it the local IP instead of your public IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

If anyone does know if there is a Loopback/Hairpin setting for these routers I would be grateful if you let me know where to find it.

Thanks again
    Villan11 wrote: »
    Couldn't find a Loopback / Hairpin setting on the router but the alternate setting with Local address worked perfectly.

Many thanks!!!

Villan11 wrote: »
    If anyone does know if there is a Loopback/Hairpin setting for these routers I would be grateful if you let me know where to find it.

Thanks again

Many consumer routers have limited functions. You could solve your problem by running another DNS server on your network. Could be on a PC or something low powered like a Raspberry Pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The Gateway IP address has to be the same on both the DVR and the Router too.

They probably were on your old setup but the new Router may have a different Gateway IP to that on the DVR.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

The Gateway IP address has to be the same on both the DVR and the Router too.

They probably were on your old setup but the new Router may have a different Gateway IP to that on the DVR.

No it shouldn't, the routers gateway IP should be the ISP. The DVR's gateway IP should be the routers local IP address.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Are you able to connect locally to the DVR? Try changing the IP on your app to the internal RFC1918 address while connected to your wireless network.

Have you checked to see if it was manually assigned an IP? Its subnet may have changed also so it may not be routing.

Advertisement