Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi conflicts

Options
  • 07-10-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Im getting a strange problem with the wifi adaptor dropping on my laptop when i start it up. It goes through a cycle of appearing then dropping then appearing again before settling down. It only happens at home and it seems to happen more often in the living room.

My router is the standard Eir F2000 for the FTTH connection. I also have sky q which also has its own wifi and the sky q box is in the living room where I am having most issues. Is it possible the sky wifi is interfering with the eir signal? Do they need to be on separate channels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Download wifi analyser and see whats going on in your setup. It is best to have wifi signals on separate channels to avoid interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Thanks, did that.

Eir 5g Ch100 5500MHz

Sky Ch 36 5180MHz

Eir 2.4g Ch 11+7 2462 MHz

Eir Wifi 11+7 2462 MHz

There is also another unknown network (just has a ?) which is constantly changing from ch 11 to 36, backwards and forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wifi analyzers on your phone are kind of limited as they arent looking at the spectrum, they're looking at networks they can see. So you can have a microwave blasting 8CH into the afterlife but things will look absolutely perfect to the app.

Which network is the laptop using, the 2.4 or 5Ghz?

ED E wrote: »
    Wifi analyzers on your phone are kind of limited as they arent looking at the spectrum, they're looking at networks they can see. So you can have a microwave blasting 8CH into the afterlife but things will look absolutely perfect to the app.

While true, I wouldn't expect the normal user to understand the complexities of spectral interference. As a starting point, wifi analyser is still a perfectly good tool with all it's limitations.

Laptop is usually on the 5GHz, but it happens on both.

• Advertisement

One of the kids complaining their signal keeps droppin on their phone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its happening in both bands then I would wager the issue exists elsewhere.

Thanks, having problems connecting to websites tonight. keep getting the following

www.google.ie’s server DNS address could not be found.

Likely router misconfiguration, check dns settings on router and ensure connecting devices are set for dhcp.

Ive tested in work today and the wifi works fine. Its definitely related to the wifi at home. Will take a look at the router settings tonight. Others in house having problems too. However, its a new router which i only got a week ago from eir. I had the same problems with the previous router.

• Advertisement

Turned off the sky wifi on each set top box and using either ethernet or the powerline feature. So far wifi is working fine so hopeful this is the problem.

Advertisement